Startup program

I would like to start several things automatically when I start X-window.

xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap
exec ami
exec krxvt
exec mozilla

I tried to make .xinitrc file in my home directory and do chmod to make it as run file.

But it did not work.

I also tried these things in .bashrc but it does not work. Actually I have sevral windows for ami, krxvt and mozilla. It seems that it open infinite times for each program.

I need to setup like a MS windows startup program. :help: wanted.

If your using gnome. You can go Apps>System>Conifugarion>Gnome Advanced>Sessions. Then theirs an option to start stuff upon boot.

If your not using gnome, theirs a certain folder you can create symbolic links too. Unfortuatbly I forgot it and the command I used isn't in my terminal memory of commands.

If you are using KDE. You can go to K> System> Configuration > KDE > Components > Session manager.

Once there, where it says " On Login " check the box next to where it says ' Restore manually saved session ' Then hit 'Apply' and the ' OK '

One you have done that you can open up all your programs that you want running upon start , and then go to K and then click on Save Session, and next time that you log in, those programs should start right away.

Hope this help,

-Luis

Edited by Phoenix

don't put them in .bashrc, and don't use make .xinitrc executable. you just put what you want to start in .xinitrc. then you use startx from the console (startx will read .xinitrc). .xinitrc won't work if you're not doing startx from console, if you're logging in graphically follow the instructions specific to your desktop environment which have been provided by others.

if you want to use .xinitrc, you'll need to have & after every exec statement except the last one. also, the last one will have to be the command to start your DE (i.e. startkde or gnome-session).

here's an example of what you might want to try for your .xinitrc:

sleep(3), xmodmap /etc/X11/Xmodmap &
sleep(4), ami &
sleep(5), krxvt &
sleep(6), mozilla &
startkde

the sleeps are intended to keep the programs from starting up before kde gets started. the times may need to be increased if you find these programs are trying to start before kde is completed. truly, it's better to use any DE specific way of starting up programs, however, this is helpful for things like fluxbox and fvwm which don't have their own way of doing this.