Windowmaker

Darkelve

just wanted to say that I tried WindowMaker today at noon and have spent the rest of the day using it... in the end I forgot what DE I was using... :unsure:

I've always used KDE... but now I think that might change... After all I can still get my KDE apps and it's much more clean and convenient... actually I'm surprised.

Edited by Darkelve

just wanted to say that I tried WindowMaker today at noon and have spent the rest of the day using it... in the end I forgot what DE I was using...  :unsure:

I've always used KDE... but now I think that might change... After all I can still get my KDE apps and it's much more clean and convenient... actually I'm surprised.

Ah yes... the choices available.

If you think that's clean and tidy wait until you try fluxbox :cheesy:

Some people cannot switch DE's like that. My friend (a die hard Slackware user even though he is only using Linux for about two years) just return to KDE after trying other DE's. Me, I can switch DE's if I have to, but then again.. I used TWM as my first Linux DE so I can adapt faster than other people :)

I just can't seem to get away from fluxbox - but that's ok snce I don't really want to...

I actually installed it in SuSe, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do certain things, e.g. add those small icons to the taskbar or running a command (like Alt+F2 in KDE)... it's confusing. And I don't want to rely on just w3m to surf the web :P

I, too, gave Window Maker a shot after my first encounter with GNOME 2.4. I still have GNOME installed, but only as my fallback system. Window Maker all the way here. Does exactly what I want, looks exactly how I want it to look ... yes, Fluxbox et all can do even more, but I'd spend ages to get it look right to me and would end up with a Window Maker clone. ;)

-Sascha.rb

Window Maker all the way here. Does exactly what I want, looks exactly how I want it to look ... yes, Fluxbox et all can do even more, but I'd spend ages to get it look right to me and would end up with a Window Maker clone. ;)

-Sascha.rb

Among others, I *love* the way the boxes stack and the way the applets work. It's nice to see a WM that isn't afraid to do things differently. Although I must admit I still mostly use KDE.

Edited by Darkelve

just curious...Fluxbox looks like it'd be slow...like, I can't run KDE, can't run Gnome, can't run Mandy 10 at all...so I stick with IceWM and Windowmaker (I like how easily they switch) and sometimes BlackBox...I think I had Fluxbox once...I dunno...never used it though (well, that I can remember)

In fact, Fluxbox is one the fastest. It's based on Blackbox - extremely minimal.

The nice thing with flux is that you can use gnome-panels, etc. with it or use it as the manager for gnome (instead of metacity).

But if WM is what you want and it works for you then keep it that way ;)

Hi phunni, the dockapp on the lower right hand side is the disco tux plugin for xmms. It may be on the cd's, but may have to get it seperatly. I don't remember.

Flux is very fast. It uses less resources then WindowMaker. As for putting apps in the panel, by default you can't. YOu would have to use ROX or gdesklets . It's really easy to use, once you get over how different it is and it's highly configurable and like phunni, I always return to it.