Partition Modifer

SwiftDeath

My / filesystem is getting super low on space. My home partition has more room than an ant in an olypmic size swimming pool. How can I change the sizes so that their more balanced out. I hope I can fix this because its getting really hard to install stuff.

I asked in the IRC chat cause I thought this was a small issue, but I guess not, but they said some people here have did it. So any help is welcome.

Here is how much space I used over all of my harddrive.

[andrew@localhost andrew]$ df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1
                      5.8G  5.3G  251M  96% /
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part6
                       86G  9.6G   76G  12% /home

Thanks,

SwiftDeath

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have never had any problems with diskdrake, but usual backup warnings apply...

As I cannot see what else you have on your disk (in between hda1 and 6), I would suggest shrinking the home partition by say 15GB and then mounting this 15GB as the /usr filesystem.

You will obviously need to mount the new partition as a temporary filesystem to copy the existing /usr files across before altering fstab.

Chris

Sorry - clarification:

(I just did this now to make sure it works!!)

BACK UP /usr and /home and anything else important, like /etc perhaps.

Hit esc on the lilo boot screen and type linux 1 <<enter>> to go to run level 1

Type diskdrake at the prompt

Use diskdrake to resize /home and then make and format the new partition - set /usr as it's mountpoint - you will be prompted to move or hide the files - choose move.

/usr will be copied across to the new partition.

Say yes to the question about modifying fstab.

Type reboot, and all should be well...

Chris

you need to shrink /home and make a /usr fs (partition). There's a big downside though. It is /usr that is by far the largest space taker (make it BIG), so once the /usr dir is moved by diskdrake to the /usr partition, / is gonna have a lot of free space....a lot!.

Edited by bvc

Man! you must have so much stuff installed that you dont use!!

Go through rpmdrake-remove and clear everything out that you can, keep it if it wants to remove anything that you need.

I have had Arch installed here for 6 months on a 4gb / partition and I still have a gig left.

iphitus

Anyone know of a way to resize a physical /usr partition, can't do it at init 1 because files are still in use so you can't unmount it. Could I boot from the install CD or from a Live CD and resize it or am I stuck doing a fresh install to get the file system set up the way I want it (boo-booed it up during install but everything else is set just right so I hate to blow it all away if I don't have to).

Disk Drake can make a new /usr partition and move the existing data with no problem. I have done it several times.

Note: anytime you mess with your data without a backup, you are playing hardball. Have a plan, unless you just like recreating your box over and over and over and over and........

Disk Drake can make a new /usr partition and move the existing data with no problem. I have done it several times.

Note: anytime you mess with your data without a backup, you are playing hardball. Have a plan, unless you just like recreating your box over and over and over and over and........

That's the problem though, I already have a /usr partition and disk drake won't create another one, and won't unmount the current one because files are in use. Actually, this is a moot issue, I have decided to blow away my install and do a clean one, when I set up Mandrake last weekend it was my first desktop Linux box in a long time so during set up I chose way more stuff than I needed/really want on my hard drive so I could see what was new. I also did a little expiramenting and have made a couple messes, and of course made my life much harder until I discovered easy URPMI. So I think I will wipe it and fix the file system that way.

Mandrake should change thier default partitioning shceme when anyone checks the "Game Station" option, UT2K4 is well over 5 gigs installed alone.

Hmmm... I have no clue how to backup my files, how would I do it. I'd like to that first. I just'd like to back up some documents and mp3 files.

I dunno if I'm ready to try this.

I think I'll do it streeters way, xbobs way sounded really weird and hard.

BVC... I have no clue what this means.

tar -czf usr.tar.gz /usr

Is that a step I add to Streeter's and where do I add it\

Btw Thanks All.

Xbob and bvc, thanks for the help anyways. I truly appreciate any help at all.

Thanks Streeter. I gonna try once I get some files backed-up.

P.S. Xbob, I hope you get your problem solved too.

P.S. Xbob, I hope you get your problem solved too.

Thanks Swift, my solution is at hand, gonna' back up everything to another PC on the network tonight and wipe it clean, sometimes a clean start works best for me.

As for backups, a cp -p to another directory always works if you have the room (and as bvc mentioned, you can tar them and save some space), or to a drive on another computer, or to a CD/DVD if you have a writer, a USB key, etc... Of course the size of the files and whether you need to maintain permissions, etc... Good luck. If this is confusing just ask questions, but one of the many things Linux does well is allow you the opporutnity to protect your data.

You dont need to call it /usr yet....

just resize a partition and call it bob or toto....

once you have it you copy all /usr (dont forget permissions like xbob says) but you might need -r too for recursive ...

once its copied I usually

mv /usr /oldusr

then

mkdir /usr

mount /dev/hdax /usr

if it cmplains its vos mount is in /usr (at work now)

if this is the case find it in /oldusr and type the fullpath i.e.

/oldusr/sbin/mount /dev/hdax /usr

then you copy back the oldusr to usr and when your happy it worked delete the /oldusr thus freeing lots of space on /