Partition Modifer

SwiftDeath

Well, I finally attempted it.

I was doing pretty great until I messed up so I pressed clear all... (which I thought meant just the partition I added incorrectly.) And to my luck everything is now deleted. I am using my moms computer, before I turn off the computer is their any last hope to save my other computer?

actually yes!

Pick a part of the hd that either had nothing or something you can lose. Do an expert install/minimal. I just did one with ML-10-OE that is only 385 MB and it has X and icewm. Yours will need to be bigger though because you'll need drakconf/drakxtools, whatever (1GB should do). Just check the Individual Package Selection and deselect stuff like kde :P , server stuff. Keep Console Tools! Get it to fit in that 1GB. Then, somewhere, DiskDrake has a 'Rescue Partition' choice. See what it finds ;)

If it fails

urpmi parted qtparted

parted is excellent at rescuing partitions and data. It is command line and is what I use. I do not know if qtparted has the rescue option.

Tip: I always have a RESCUE install of mandrake like this. Nothing accesses it and it accesses nothing at boot. No other partitions or anything. This way, I can safely boot to it, not mounting everything and it's dog, for rescue purposes. I learned the hard way this is a good idea.

Edited by bvc

Thanks anyways, I decided it probably just be best to reinstall mandrake anyways. I'll do a better job nextime.

I installed it this time with a big /usr filesystem so no need to worry there.

Thanks anyways BVC,

I did gain some more linux knowledge in this failed attempt, and now my burner will probably work again.