It's here!!! -Looking Glass

bvc

now I need to figure out how to get fb back. I always stop it in grub but I'm not familiar with the fedora naming conventions bla bla bla... :angry: ...I want full screen :lol:

it's easy, well, at least to get it to run in a window.....give it a whirl!!!!

Edited by bvc

I'm a little bit concerned about this looking-glass thing. I don't see how it's going to make computing so much better.

I mean, top-to-bottom text already is very hard to read (ok so it saves space but it's still confusing to figure out what is written in e.g. Konqueror's sidebar).

It must also be confusing to have 2 different things at 2 sided of your window (front and back). E.g. is it really that nice to be able to put a note on the back of a window if later you can't find it back easily?

And what about the people with poor spatial insight (probably includes myself to some extent)?

And isn't all this movement a distraction (I know it can be a helpful aid to e.g. show progress or a change, but if you spend all day looking at rotating windows, wouldn't that be annoying)?

It's definitely cool and will have its uses, but I just cannot see this project as being the "saviour of mankind".

Edited by Darkelve

useful? Right now I doubt it, but linux wasn't useful 7 years ago either :D

what's to explain? It's a java desktop w/o much function in its early stages.

Until you get it full screen you can't really do anything with it......., now I d/k whether to mess with this or continue my lfs/e17 :P

:cheeky:

:juggle:

Edited by bvc

now I d/k whether to mess with this or continue my lfs/e17 :P

If you mean e17 as in enlightenment DR17, there's really no point since the "release" that is in CVS is deprecated. It won't build with the libraries in CVS, and is stated to be "nothing more than a glorified test app" (reference). They're rewriting e17 from the bottom up, apparently. I can't wait personally...but seems like it may take a little while longer (they're just getting the base libs - aka EFL - to a mature state).

However, I just installed DR16.7_pre4 last night and it's quite nice - I just need to figure out how to make my own theme for it :) or atleast find a good one somewhere. Also, Entrance is quite nice as is Evidence. I'm anxious to get home and continue playing around with them...

now I d/k whether to mess with this or continue my lfs/e17 :P

If you mean e17 as in enlightenment DR17, there's really no point since the "release" that is in CVS is deprecated. It won't build with the libraries in CVS, and is stated to be "nothing more than a glorified test app" (reference). They're rewriting e17 from the bottom up, apparently.

I should do a little reading b4 starting this stuff, eh? I had a feeling something was up because of al the errors I was getting. Pitty. It's taking way....too......long, IMO. Knowing what a pioneer rasterman is, is the only thing that keeps us in wait. It better be twice the code_revolution E was. :headbang: ...and probably will be if how long it is taking is any clue. :unsure: