KDE vs. Gnome

deiz

Hi,

I'm new here so please excuse any 'noob-ish' kinda questions u may see from me... here goes? Just a few quetions from me...

1 Which one do u use? Gnome or KDE?

2. Which one is best looking?

3. Which one is most powerful?

4. Why can't I find Gnome on my Linux? I've got Mandrake 10 Discovery pack. I'm sure I added the RPM after I was up and running with KDE.

5. Is it supposed to be shown as an option on the log-in screen, i've got ICEwm, kde, and something else.

Thanks clever people.

Oh by the way, best forum to post question about setting up my dvb-tv card? ta

Deiz

1) I use GNOME.

2) That's a matter of opinion, and is a question that often invokes flamewars.

3) See #2

4) I don't know. It should show up in your login screen if you installed it. You should double check in Mandrake Control Center -> Software -> Remove Software and see if a "gnome-session" RPM is listed. If not, go back to Software and into Install Software, search for it and install it.

5) Answer 4 and then we'll cover this.

!. I use kde

2. The looks are aesthetically different.

3. Power is up to the user.

4. I don't know. B)

5. If it is installed, it will be an option.

Hi,

I'm new here so please excuse any 'noob-ish' kinda questions u may see from me... here goes? Just a few quetions from me...

1 Which one do u use? Gnome or KDE?

2. Which one is best looking?

3. Which one is most powerful?

4. Why can't I find Gnome on my Linux? I've got Mandrake 10 Discovery pack. I'm sure I added the RPM after I was up and running with KDE.

5. Is it supposed to be shown as an option on the log-in screen, i've got ICEwm, kde, and something else.

Thanks clever people.

Oh by the way, best forum to post question about setting up my dvb-tv card? ta

Deiz

1) GNOME or Fluxbox

2) I find GNOME more aesthetically pleasing

3) I Believe KDE has more options however GNOME is just as powerful. There isnt anything big that one can do that the other is incapable of.

4) Make sure you installed all of it, there are a lot of packages

5) If it is fully installed, yes.

Best forum for the card would be hardware

I've used both, currently I use KDE on my desktop and Fluxbox on my laptop.

Looks are up to the individual user. You can make each look as spectacular as you want.

Power is up to the user. A Linux desktop can be as powerful as you want it to be.

1) Its a matter of persnal taste

2) It is a matter of which applications you use.

KDE reuses many more components than Gnome or more efficiently.

If you start off with just the desktop there isnt much difference (it keeps changing which is smaller)

What I found though is adding more KDE apps at the same time uses less resources than Gnome.

The more you add the more efficienyt KDE becomes so long as they are KDE apps.

If you were happy to use 100% KDE apps then this is a clear advantage but most people arent. I use kmail but gaim over kopete for instant messaging etc.

If most of your apps are gnome then you benefit from a gnome desktop and drag n drop etc. and visa versa.

If you have plenty of memory then uise either... if your a purist then probably neither!

cheers for the replies, i was surprised myself to 'not' find any posts about the pro's and cons of kde vs gnome, glad it didn't start a flame, wasn't my intention, i'm still getting my feet into linux so i will stick to kde for the time being. thanks for all ur view, more are welcome,

and i must say this forum is very good, there's a friendly crowd here and there are a lot more replies than any opther linux forum i've seen, keep up the good work

I prefer the look of Gnome, but am I the only one who finds its file handling less handy/friendly than KDE's? One thing that swung the balance for me was that when copying files to a floppy, kfm will offer to overwrite any existing files. Gnome merely throws up a message saying there's not enough space on the floppy. There are other filemanagemnet niggles which I can't recall at the moment.

All in all i would make the decision based on what apps you use.

Qt/KDE apps or Gtk....

both are great....

IMHO Gnome lost out when it made a concious decision to remove user customisation in preference to a standard desktop......

I appreciate why but ... to me linux is about user choice!

I dot think its really valid to say you prefer the look of gnome becuase KDE could be made to look just like it! or XP or OS-X etc.

both have lots of great features and lots of niggles.... but most people end up being more comfrtable in one than the other.

IMHO Gnome lost out when it made a concious decision to remove user customisation in preference to a standard desktop......

eh? when'd that happen?

GNOME is just as customizable as KDE...am I missing something?

eh? when'd that happen?

GNOME is just as customizable as KDE...am I missing something?

:o

uhoh....Gowator did it now :P

I was wondering the same thing :unsure:

my only beef is that there's not a gui to change text colors for menus/toolbars etc....but it never had that.......and blows my mind that it doesn't.....sheesh....talk about 'the basics' :wall:

when Gnome went to Gnome2 a lot of the previously user customisable stuff was either taken out or at least hidden away....

the idea was to create a standard desktop ....at least thats what they said

the reasons are sound, how many times do we get noobies here saying whats the file that looks like XXX ...

as I understand its creeping back.... but Im certainly no gnome expert ... I use KDE as my heavy WM and Ice or Flux when I need a light one... I dont dislike Gnome or anything just there are only so many things to keep up with ...

strangley enough the app that made the choice was kmail ... long before evolution ... and now my reasons for deciding on KDE have dissapeared ... but I still know much more about customising it so I end up sticking with it!

So maybe the forced desktop never really happened .. it all happened when I wasnt using gnome... which as it happens last night was the first time in years! (I installed it on a Deb box cos I was curious and also becuase i needed a WM as I was apt-geting KDE 3.2 ! )

Boring from the CLI ....

I could have dreamed this of course .... (thats not sarcasm Im serious)

I could swear it was in a Mag I was reading the other day ....

course the mag could also be BS.... except it didnjt seem pro/anti either!

Now Im really starting to worry.....

Edited by Gowator