Post your working 56k modem

LTD602

Maybe it's time for a list like this. If it's already been done, then I apologize, but I'm just exasperated with Linux's poor 56k modem support.

So, please post your working 56k modem.

Conditions:

1.) Must work with Mandrake10 Official, at least

2.) Must work right out of the box, that is, no drivers to download/compile, and even better if MDK10 Official does most of the configuration automatically.

3.) Can be PCI, or a Hardware modem (better.)

4.) Please note what you paid for it, in US or CDN funds.

My setup:

AMD Athlon XP2000+

ECSK7S5A mobo

768mb DDR RAM

Radeon 8500 128mb

Sounblaster Audigy X-gamer

**Mandrake 10 Official, with 2.6.3-7 kernel**

I'll be honest, this thread is to help me, but I think it might help others as well. I KNOW about the Mandrake10 hardware compatibility list, but I prefer the experiences of actual users. It would be nice if there is a 56k modem out there, PCI or hardware, that is designed specifically for newer MandrakeLinux10 kernels (especially 2.6.3-7), that if possible, comes bundled with Linux drivers. Maybe what's best is a hardware modem. I know it's asking alot, but I like asking anyway.

My 56k Conexant drivers from Linuxant are kernel-dependant, and it turns out (my luck) that my kernel (2.6.3-7) isn't listed. I have neither the experience nor the nerves to update/recompile the kernel. So, I'll opt for a new, more compatible modem.

Thanks.

Edited by LTD602

Thanks plati!!

I'll have a look at that. A few people swear by the U.S. Robotics Sportster 56k external (serial) v.92 modem.

Anyone else using this? Appaerntly, it works right out of the box, no configuration necesary apart from selecting it's port in Kppp. BUT, I think people are referring to an older model. How about the newer model of this?

I use the Creativelabs MODEM_BLASTER External Serial 56k modem.

It's $50.00US but I have to say this thread seems a bit pointless as every single hardware controllled modem on earth will work as far as i've ever seen. That's the whole point of a hardware controlled modem, there are NO drivers, so they can't possibly be mis-configured. Even in windows, no extra drivers, just lie and tell windows it's a Hayes.

People have only had three kinds of problems with modems.

1. Winmodems and all the inherant problems tht come with them and,

2. Not knowing enough about their computers or linux to figure out what ttyS port their modem is attatched to so they can link it to /dev/modem

3. Not knowing how to use a modem in linux.

As you can see, none ofthat has anything to do with linux.

Also, if for some unfathomable reason, a person insists on using a stupid winmodem, there are exhastive lists of the windmodems that will work with linux on a number of winmodem/linmodem websites.

Using my Rockwell 56k isa (in my last isa slotted mobo) Never gives me trouble. But also have a USR 56k that I bought just in case it didn't have an isa port. I use it as a backup. Same download speed as the Rockwell.

Edit: Oh sorry.I got both off Ebay. I got the Rockwell for $5 (included with a 33.6k modem I flashed to a 56k also.) The USR was $17. But I had to fix the power plug.

Edited by cage47

4.) Why not other currencies?

There are whole other continents out there on the planet :D

probably because those are the currencies he's concered with as that's the ones being used in his area... :P

Point taken, VeeDub . . . . I'm getting a serial modem this week. ;-)

Thanks.

I made my first post just after waking up this morning, so I hope it didn't sound too harsh. i sometimes sound like a herk when i first wake up. Not a morning persona and all that.

I'm glad you're getting a serial modem. i think you'll be REALY happy you did. There are 'some' hardware controlled internals but then the com ports are wierd and might not even be constant and they 'can' be harder to set up, so an external is realy the way to go. I love mine.

Also, since you're clearly new, let me give you a tip or two for setting it up.

First of all, if you only have one serial port on the back of your computer, it is almost certainly ttyS0 (in windows that would be com1) Also, if you want to find out for sure and it's not ttyS0, you can just take whatever com port windows reports it as and subtract 1. So, com4 (the usual for pci cards) becomes ttyS3 and so on. Remember that most linux programers count the way a computer counts, that is, 0-1-2-3-4 as opposed to windows and humans 1-2-3-4-5

Second. I realy don't reccomend you bother using the mandrake controll center to set up your conection. It's realy a waste of time. Especialy if you have no other network. IMNSHO, the very best software for dial-up internet connections in linux is kppp. Some people prefer wvdial, which is a command line program, but for the new user and the lazy user, kppp is much better. If you want to do something like internet connection sharing you may need to use the MCC as doing it by hand may still be beyond you. Lord knows it's still beyond me to manualy share dial-up........

If you have trouble configuring kppp, I reccomend you search the forums before asking because it's unlikely you'll come up with an original problem in kppp. If by chance you can't find the answer, i used kppp with MSN for a long time and I'm sure I could help, and i'd be glad to.

Thanks for the tips Vee . . . yes, that's me, "new and lazy." Definitely. Coming from WinXP I expect everything to be automated. The more I use Mandrake10, however, the more at home I feel with it. So, putting up with modem hassles is worth it. ;-)

Yes, I've alerady explored Kppp, it reminds me of MacPPP on my old MacOS 8.0 system.

As for the serial modem, I'm looking into either a US Robotics or a Zoom.

Any external serial modem will work out of the box with Mandrake, as well as hardware PCMCIA modems.

I have a $25 external modem with conexant chipset and it works right out of the box, so is my old but trusty ‎3Com/Megahertz 3CCFEM556 Ethernet/Modem

My modem is a freshly bought (2 hours ago) Zoom v.92 serial for £44.99.

It was easy to configure, i.e nothing to configure, plug and play... if only: it wouldn't drop the line every time i dial out, any ideas what is happening? I don't think it even get to the point where it finishes handshaking, help help help. (kppp with freeserve if anyone's got any settings for me) again... HELP

thanks peeps