Swines, you're all swines

bigjohn

Well, having checked the meaning of bvc's reply, I did some digging and then went back into the process of trying to install the superkaramba manually, but I still get this

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.la'
make[3]: *** [superkaramba] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/john/superkaramba-0.33/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/john/superkaramba-0.33/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/john/superkaramba-0.33'
make: *** [all] Error 2

But then I thought about checking so I did this

[root@johnspc superkaramba-0.33]# cd
[root@johnspc root]# whereis /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.la
libGL: /usr/lib/libGL.la /usr/lib/libGL.so
[root@johnspc root]#

As you can see, as far as the system is concerned, the apparently missing /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.la seems to be there.

So how would I get round that one?

I'm stumped again (I'm always stumped when trying to install stuff manually - I've only ever been successful with nice, easy, straight forward graphical installing).

Again, any assistance would be greatfully appreciated.

regards

John

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandrake Superkaramba rpms can be found here:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...ubmit=Search+...

If you download the RPM from scoopy's post, you should be able to install it with the rpm -ivh command. That should help you out. I remember getting that same error when I was installing superkaramba.

For your menu icon, follow my howto here

Also, if you like the look of gdesklets more than superkaramba (I personally do), you can install and run gdesklets under KDE. It's not desktop specific anymore. You used to have to have all of Gnome installed, now you only need a few libs related to python.

I've also installed the gdesklets mentioned by scoopy, but as for "running a script", it doesn't seem to want to do that either (well in truth, I'm probably trying to do in wrongly)!

Did you install this from a Mandrake RPM ? I got mine from a contrib source, such as:

ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/linux/Mandr...0/contrib/i586/

I installed these three rpms:

gdesklets-0.26-2mdk
gdesklets-sysinfo-0.25-1mdk
gdesklets-weather-0.24-1mdk

In /usr/bin there were files with these names:

gdesklets-add-sysinfo-display
gdesklets-add-weather-display
gdesklets-add-weather-full-display

You will want to start konsole and type those exactly as you see it. For my example I chose:

gdesklets-add-sysinfo-display

and

gdesklets-add-weather-display

since I just wanted the display with the current temp and NOT the 5-day forcast.

Then I started gdesklets by clicking the menu entry under

/ System / Monitoring / Gdesklets

Well I've made some progress, as you can see from the screenie.

It took me a while to work out how to change the default weather location, but I got there.

I'm gonna have a good look around the stuff available for superkaramba, too see if there's any theme's that I like the look of - I did notice that you can switch off the task bar (and probably the kicker as well), but I'm presuming that scoopy's got it so the kicker stay's automatically hidden and just uses the "theme" bar, unles he need's something that only show's on the actual kicker???

I haven't really seen anything at kde-look that really grab's my attention. so much of it is those terrible japanese style cartoon figure's (sorry I don't recall the name of that type of animation - I'm full of "vino collapso", he he, England 4 Croatia 2! :D), or commercial art looking fantasy land/moon/space scapes. Not my cup of tea (or coffee for that matter). Hence my going for the mandrake background for the moment.

Something "funky" to match the gorilla icon's would be nice. But I suspect that I've got a long way to go before I'm ready to produce my own !

regards

John

p.s. Maybe someone could tell me what the odd looking temperature scale in the bottom right hand side, just above the clock is?

post-31-1087855233.ibf

Edited by bigjohn

p.s. Maybe someone could tell me what the odd looking temperature scale in the bottom right hand side, just above the clock is?

My guess is that it may be a "leftover" from a previous attempt at compiling this stuff ??? Can you right-click it and make it go away ?

Cheer's scoopy,

I'm not happy with it, by a long way, but in truth, it's been a long time since I've had what I'd call much sucess with "thing's linux". So I'm really pleased with how it's gone thus far.

I'll post another one when I've had more of a meddle (I do feel guilty about wasting server space :o )

But many many thanks for the assistance.

regards

John

scoopy @ Jun 21 2004, 11:09 PM

My guess is that it may be a "leftover" from a previous attempt at compiling this stuff ??? Can you right-click it and make it go away ?

Nah, as soon as I try that, the whole lot disappear's.

regards

John

Ah, that would explain it.

I still don't quite follow what the bit that look's like 77 meant though.

If it's the battery monitor, presumably it's for laptop's? and not telling me that the CMOS battery is at 77%?

Also is the right click box the only thing that's available for it, or can you configure it any other way ? (i'm thinking on the lines of gkrellm's config facility)

regards

John

Ah, that would explain it.

I still don't quite follow what the bit that look's like 77 meant though.

If it's the battery monitor, presumably it's for laptop's? and not telling me that the CMOS battery is at 77%?

Also is the right click box the only thing that's available for it, or can you configure it any other way ? (i'm thinking on the lines of gkrellm's config facility)

regards

John

They were question marks.

[off topic]

Oink!

[/off topic]

:spam:

Edited by iphitus