Swines, you're all swines

bigjohn

All you buggers that do artistic type stuff are inconsiderate swines.

I found the thread about customising desktops etc. It seems that all those of you who do stuff that can make desktop's, icon's, start menus, etc etc have done so much.

So how in hell's name can i decide what I want to do next. I mean, an indecisive twit like me! I WANT IT ALL. NOW! Me, Me, Me. :furious3: :lol:

Seriously, there seems to be so many spectacular thing's that can be done with desktop/icon imagery I can't make my mind up what I should concentrate on first.

I had a bit of a go last night, but I don't follow how I can upload a screenshot - or whether I need to get it hosted/linked - not for critical acclaim, but so I can show what I've done and how to solve a few thing's that are still confusing me.

For instance. Id like to get rid of my taskbar, but can't find anything or anyway of changing it so I have the start icon (mandrake.png) as a floating shortcut. And while I've found the actual image file in /usr/share/icons I can't work out how to change it so it's a different picture i.e. where the file that control's how the task bar look's actually is.

I mean, yes I can hide it, but I figured it'd look better as, like a desktop shortcut.

But for the time being, I've managed to get it down to the start button, the image that show's 4 virtual desktop's, the applications thing (that show's what's running), the small panel that show's kscd and the klipboard and the clock.

I've seen some desktop's that seem to have them as individual sub-panel's (sorry I don't know what else you'd call them). But also Id like to make them transparent - can I find a way of doing that? can I hell.

Am I better using gnome? as I noticed that some of the screenshot's that look so good seem to be done with gnome, although there seem to be so many kde resources to do stuff like that.

One massive quandary!

regards

John

p.s. I used to have a link for a site that had lot's of wallpapers, including about 10 PLF images, as well as many many other excellent ones - memory tell's me that the URL was something like soviet.com, or kgbsoviet.com (well the word soviet was in either the URL or in the site name). I don't suppose that ring's any bell's with anyone does it? as a couple of hours searching hasn't thrown anything up.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I better using gnome? as I noticed that some of the screenshot's that look so good seem to be done with gnome, although there seem to be so many kde resources to do stuff like that.
:lol:

I've always wondered why ppl say kde is much more configurable than gnome.....I've always thought it the other way around :unsure: Colors are easier to change but that's all I know of.

I d/k a way to have the starmenu as a shortcut, except by running a panel with only the menu in it.

kde=superkaramba

gnome=gdesklets

You're probably seeing bars by these apps.

Edited by bvc

I don't follow how I can upload a screenshot

There's an option that appears after you click reply or go to post a new topic. It will the appear as mine does below. Mine is all KDE, with gdeskets along the right, and superkarambe at the bottom. The kicker is hidden towards lower right side. I still find the kicker very usefull and still messing around with all these options myself.

The wallpaper is from the collection from http://www.sadeem.net/tux.html (not soviet.com, but same number of letters ;) )

Get your screenie posted and find a sample of what you would like to try and accomplish and we can take it from there.

post-31-1087754860.jpg

Ah, well I must have an incorrect keyboard setting, because trying Anon's suggestion I can't make anything appear at the cursor (left or right windows key).

I installed karamba from mandrake sources (hell it may have been main, contrib, updates or plf), but it only had a mandrakised version of karamba, not superkaramba.

Though I'll have to look in that. I also then presume that I'm wrong in thinking that karamba/superkaramba are only good for weather info, rss news feed's and curious little characters walking around my screen (kirby etc)?

And I thought that "things mandrake" were supposed to be easy? Choice doesn't seem to be to much of an issue, but if I want to try anything other than what mandrake want me to try, then it seem's like I'm "up shit creek, without a paddle".

There's just so much - and as to what I'd do with it if I knew how to use it ? AAAAARRRRGGHH!

Oh well, never mind.

Still, is it possible to upload a screenshot directly or does it have to be hosted then linked ???

regards

John

There's an option that appears after you click reply or go to post a new topic.

Ok thanks for the advice scoopy, but I still can't see it. Would it be some sort of option that I should have selected in my profile? Or is it like take a screen shot and then include that as a file attachment? or something like that?

regards

John

Ha ha :lol: :headbang: ! It worked.

See what I mean. My first attempt at some proper customisation. But I'd like to either bin the mandrake star as the start button and make the application button's transparent. Or maybe I'll try superkaramba from scoopy's link's and see what happen's with that.

Thanks for the assist so far, I'll "shut me gob"! and go and see what I can find (again). Hopefully I'll understand what any stuff I find is telling me (though maybe not, as it seems that as far as IT doc's and stuff is concerned, I'm "as thick as 10 bog seat's, nailed together" :D

regards

John

Two quick hints before I go...

If you install gdesklets (from rpms) you will need to run a script for the display you want to show. Look for it in /usr/bin. something like

gdesklets-add-sysinfo-display

If you install superkaramba... the trick is loading the themes (right click) you want.

have fun

Ok, so I've downloaded superkaramba 0.33 and extracted it using Ark, which has given me a superkaramba directory. But stupidly of me, I don't follow what else I'm supposed to do with it to get it running

Any idea's please?

regards

John

well I think that I've installed superkaramba, but what I do with it is a total mystery.

As previously mentioned, I downloaded and extracted it with Ark. But after searching through the various sub-directories in the superkaramba directory, I can't find out what to do next.

I've also installed the gdesklets mentioned by scoopy, but as for "running a script", it doesn't seem to want to do that either (well in truth, I'm probably trying to do in wrongly)!

so again any help or suggestion's would be very much appreciated.

regards

John

So I've just tried to do the install manually, and it's binned me out with an error of not finding /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.la and a quick look show's I don't have it.

So where would that library normally come from ?? or where could I get it ??

regards

John