stable & without bugs ?

jeanrev

Hi all,

I started Linux with the MDK9.1 last year

I changed my sources to the Internet URPMI sources lately

But :

this distro is not yet free of bugs :

1 the numlock is not loaded at boot

2 Konqueror 3.1.0 has not been upgraded automatically from the sources and has the following problems :

a) it disconnect at times accidentaly while surfing on the net

B) It cannot be steady registering a web page with pictures by the menu "tools/archiv the web page"

it registers it like *.war (this is the normal way) but sometimes like a ZIP file and we have to change its name into *.tat.gz to be able to open it or like a Kword document with the same problem

so my question is :

Is there any Linux distribution as good is now Windows 98SE which works OK (provided you don't connect it to the net ) ? ? ?

Linux seems to go from one version to the other without completing any

this is no good publicity for them !

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hi all,

isn't it strange that nobody in this forum can advise me on a Mandrake distribution that ran without any bug in the past ?

I would be happy to know one distro as good as good old WIN98SE ?

I am afraid I am asking too much ...

thanks

:juggle:

moved to everything linux by tyme

any bug? Win98se didn't have any? Then what's all those updates you have to go and get and those BSOD's even after getting the updates for those bugs? :unsure: True, after massive tweaking win98se can be great, but don't say it is out of the box.

RedHat, SuSE, Slackware, Debian, and even LFS have updates.

Man_made OS's on Man_made machines....what else can you expect?

Its too subjective ....a question

Do you still want 8.2.... I have the DVD ... i can post it.

However mandrake has always had lots of server stuff etc. and Win98 doesnt

Also the problem is that Mandrake up to 10 never had a stable version.

The last version like 8.2 was pretty stable but there are bug fixes and security fixes after it was released. these need downloading.... Im not SURE they are still available.

Now with 10.0 there is FINALLY a stable version....

bvc has a point. no program, distribution, or operating system will ever be bug free. you're not asking too much, you're just asking the impossible...an imperfect being can't make something that's perfect.

Windows 98 was fine..... that is, windows 98 second edition with all of the updates to the updates. B)

Ah, yes windows 98se, the update that people paid for since the original release was so buggy it would barely run more than a few days! Oh, yeah, the original release that people paid for because it was such an improvement over the bug-infested windows 95, which was the release that people paid for because it was new and different. Now windows 3.11 ran great, because I could manipulate it into running.

You didn't really mean that the bugs in linux distros are worse than the bugs in windex, did you?? :D

I am using Mandrake 9.2 and the only bug that I encountered was with Menudrake not updating the menu, but it was fixed with an update shortly after I installed it in Dec 2003. My main problems were with hardware issues. I have resolved all except the camera issue. I also dual boot with Windows XP, that uses the incrediably buggy IE that has to send error reports every few minutes, and some sort of script errors that I have to click through and it's so much slower than linux. I almost never use XP anymore, thank god for choices. :)

Well.. I prefer 9.2.1 to 9.1 in terms of stability. Anyway:

1. My numlock is loaded on boot, if you boot to KDE on level 5 (straight boot to X), there is an option at KDE to turn on the numlock at KDE startup. Even though the numlock light is not on, the numerical keypad actually works.

2. You are using konqueror 3.1 for web browsing? You are braver than I thought :) I always prefer Mozilla for Web browsing and konqueror is strictly for file manager.

Ahh, nearly the same tyme... thje other one is MANDRAKE this is linux....

hmmm this opens up all possibilities...

One very stable is the debian woody. So long as you dont want the latest KDE etc. then its way better than Win98.

In fact many distros are its just a question of which parts YOU think are important. Lindows/linspire is very good in some areas (namely the win98 replacement) but limited on serious server apps and the latest KDE....

Is there any Linux distribution as good is now Windows 98SE which works OK (provided you don't connect it to the net ) ? ? ?

maybe you should consider a newer version. Mandrake 10.0 OE has just been released to the mirrors, and in my experience is relatively bug-free (as much as one can expect, that is).

Linux seems to go from one version to the other without completing any

this is no good publicity for them !

uh...what O/S doesn't? an O/S is always in continual upgrade! Windows is like this, do a base install of any of it's releases and see how many updates there are. Believe me, I work in a job which solely focuses on keeping O/S's up-to-date and secure. There isn't one release of any O/S which is "complete".

Also keep in mind that Distributors are just packaging and setting up software. Some of these bugs can be attributed to the program writers, not the distributors themselves.

Ahh, nearly the same tyme... thje other one is MANDRAKE this is linux....

This just broadens the same topic...the discussion is likely to be similar, hence my decision.

Good decision, tyme. I have done one better and merged them. They are the same idea.

However mandrake has always had lots of server stuff etc. and Win98 doesnt

Also the problem is that Mandrake up to 10 never had a stable version.

The last version like 8.2 was pretty stable but there are bug fixes and security fixes after it was released. these need downloading.... Im not SURE they are still available.

Now with 10.0 there is FINALLY a stable version....

I was waiting for it of course and I sent you my address didn't I

just telle me the post fees

I heard the MDK 7.2 was also a very good issue

I would love to try it

thanks anyway