EU Approves Software Patent Changes

Darkelve

This is incredible! I'm steamed!!

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=7083

From the quotes

getting angry

By Piotr

"And this is the "democratic" union! It is more and more some burrocratic behemoth. The council overrides all the changes applied by the European Parliament - BTW the only democratically elected body of the EU - just before the new election. Very, very promising."

I could not agree more!

(goes kick some trash cans)

It looks like from the article that even though things probably won't change, there are still a few months until it is finalized.

What I wonder is this: Will we have to now get tons of stuff from the Penguin Liberation Front? Does this means they may have to move to Romania, one of the former Soviet Republics, South Africa, or China???

Does effects will this have on GNU/Linux and the GPL? Is GPL dead...or does it apply to other countries outside the European Union and the U.S.?????

I wanna know :furious3: !

Richard

A solution to recent patent disaster:

Mandrake, move your head office to Canada. Under Canadian law, one cannot patent computer software. Just think how far the Euro could get you in our current market!

Let's turn Canada into the Open Source and GNU development capital of the world!

Oh, and you'd even have a right to share MP3s! :D

I'm all for that... Montreal would be the perfect city to relocate (well, from May to September..he-he). I love to visit there the first week in July with all the international fireworks competition twice a week and the art festival on the rue St. Catherine. (But it's as hot and humid then as in Houston TX!!, so this year I'm going the first week in June.

I know....I'M OFF TOPIC..... :cheesy: ...SORRY! :oops:

Comme on peut voir, j'aime beaucoup le Montreal (as you can see, I love Montreal).

Cheers,

Richard

I live in Saskatoon, the sun shine capital of the country, smack dab in the middle of the prairies.

The city's growing and the real estate business is a buyers market right now. Just think how far the Euro would go up here!

Okay, it gets a bit cold here a couple months out of the year, but computers work better in the cold anyway. Just think of the energy savings on air conditioning alone! :D

I wish it was polititions... this is non-elected buerocrats.

This looks likely to be a stupid start to a stupid trade/patent-war achieving nothing positive. I hope America has the sense not to respond by now making its patent laws even more open and then the EU responds likewise.

This could quickly degenerate into a who can pee highest competition while the development of FLOSS dies.

As a European I think it extremely sad that we might now have a non-EU branch of Debian however how deep will it go.

Will Mandrake pay patents on items like scrollbars or radio buttons ?

If so it can no longer offer a FREE (beer) distro. And what WILL happen to PLF ??

Im not sure what the effects of this will be except they will be bigger than people expect.

I am soooo actively starting the PLFF - Penguin Liberations Front's Front

Who wants to patent the son of a EU member with me?

Vandalise windows advertisements?

sucks.jpg

linux.jpg

Paint funny messages on Bill's house?

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/linux/e107.../10001/bsod.jpg

Redirect signage to sco?

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/linux/e107...end-sco-big.jpg

Hack some road signs?

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~iphitus/linux/e107...31337_hax0r.jpg

Start a propaganda campaign?

http://www.arrfab.net/wallpapers/open-your-mind.jpg

Anyone?

Geez you guys are so boring!

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

:devil: Never dispair! There is still a chance to change things.

:thumbs: To all people in the EU, please do not give up, but intensify the campaign. Get anyone on board that you know, even people that are not interested in software and FLOSS.

This has to become more then only software patents. This decision should be turned back already just because of its undemocratic nature. Use that argument to convince MEP's to vote against the proposal. If they will see it as a fundamental issue with the "democratic" structures of the EU, they will vote massively against the proposal even if it is only to show that the EU parliament can not just be put aside. This is the second time this happens (same thing happened with the information that the US request from EU passanger flying into the US, where the parliament did not agree to the treaty because of privacy rules being broken).

Start campaigning all over. We got still a couple of months, but the time to do this is NOW. With the European elections only a couple of weeks ahead, we can have an impact now. Make sure only people against software patents get voted on. Make sure that everyone who you know, knows who these people are and why it is so damn important to vote for them and not for the others!

Sitor

Edited by sitor

:devil: Never dispair! There is still a chance to change things.

:thumbs: To all people in the EU, please do not give up, but intensify the campaign. Get anyone on board that you know, even people that are not interested in software and FLOSS.

This has to become more then only software patents. This decision should be turned back already just because of its undemocratic nature. Use that argument to convince MEP's to vote against the proposal. If they will see it as a fundamental issue with the "democratic" structures of the EU, they will vote massively against the proposal even if it is only to show that the EU parliament can not just be put aside. This is the second time this happens (same thing happened with the information that the US request from EU passanger flying into the US, where the parliament did not agree to the treaty because of privacy rules being broken).

Start campaigning all over. We got still a couple of months, but the time to do this is NOW. With the European elections only a couple of weeks ahead, we can have an impact now. Make sure only people against software patents get voted on. Make sure that everyone who you know, knows who these people are and why it is so damn important to vote for them and not for the others!

Sitor

I'd go further ....

This whole issue is meant to be a 'reaction' to the US patent rules (although it goes way beyond them in a stupid pi**ing contest way)

Ive also seen the US seems to be becoming less permissive over patents ...in other words restricting some of the dafter patent ideas.

LOL... in other words we are crossing in the middle :screwy:

One of the strongest arguaments against his is if some BIG American international companies like IBM (who own the worlds largest no of patents) were to say that the the European rules as they are make more sense.

IBM might have lots of patents but these arent the trivial (stupid) scroll bar type they are for real technology and innovations. (Im all for patenting physcial ideas and innovations)

One main issue is very few companies will gain (Microsoft and Microsoft mainly) ...but the amount of FUD means lots of people are confused and support it becaue they think its the correct thing to do.

Almost ALL of the fence sitters are confused between copyright and patents.

they are also being fed FUD... to confuse this more.

This is truly one issue where 90% of those silently going along with it have no idea what it is about! I think some real criticism from EVERYWHERE.... don't limit it to EU...

This is a WORLD issue....

I think some real criticism from EVERYWHERE.... don't limit it to EU...

This is a WORLD issue....

Thats why i did my english speech on Monday about it.

I reckon ill get an A+ for sure... it did so damn well, because after my reading on sunday i started to realise all about software patents and their risks.