EU Approves Software Patent Changes

Darkelve

Start campaigning all over. We got still a couple of months, but the time to do this is NOW. With the European elections only a couple of weeks ahead, we can have an impact now. Make sure only people against software patents get voted on. Make sure that everyone who you know, knows who these people are and why it is so damn important to vote for them and not for the others!

Sitor

I will ask my friends, who know nothing about patents, to take some action. Who would be the best persons to mail? The polical parties they vote for? The MEPs in the EU? Where can I find those addresses.

I will ask them to:

(1) send an e-mail to politically influential persons with regard to patents/EU matters

(2) vote for a party who ACTIVELY fights against software patents. I will vote 'Green' this time. Because for me, almost every other aspect of politics right now is of 'minor' importance. We might not soon have another opportunity to change what is going to be decided, so we had better act now.

I never ask my friends for anything, so I am pretty sure they will do something trivial as point (1). Point (2) is more of a 'suggestion', take it or leave it, but all bits help.

M$ and others are using ignorance, confusion and inertia to keep the part of the population that doesn't understand/know of this situation ignorant/confused/intert, while they lobby the influential people to support their views. Those who DO understand are, sadly, a minority. Even on Linux forums I notice a lot of members do not know of the patent situation or understand it.

We need to try and inform the ignorant part of the population, educate the confused and mobilize the inert. Only then will we have a chance to obtain a 2/3 majority against the unamendemented proposal when its gets voted.

Please spout your ideas about how/why to take action in this thread.

(which reminds me: are there any 'protest' flyers available somewhere?)

Edited by Darkelve

darkelve....

almost certainly most people are into the FUD...

it takes a lot less effort to beleive than reading upon patents and copyright.

One way might be to bring this up at a local level. If a free paper or something could do a small article most people could understand then people might be aware.

The problem is WHY would it be important to THEM.

Very few people LIKE MS... and then this is lots of home users with pirate versions ..somewhat ironic.

But people STILL think its great because its all they know and people dont relaise what else they can have or howe having only oine single dominant OS effects them.

If there were just one brand of running shoes or even game console people would think whats wrong...yet an OS has a mystery ...

the patent issue is a step beyond that. 3º ...

I think the way to attack this for the general public is to explain it in terms of a book or music. Imagine if the detective novel were patented or the rock ballad or.....

at the same time lobby your MEP directly....

keep asking if they have investigated.

Ill follow my email up. Ask them to explain why they are NOT fighting against this. Ask if they understand the issue, if they have taken independent 'expert' advice ....

The Register has an article explaining how the vote was lost.

One way might be to bring this up at a local level. If a free paper or something could do a small article most people could understand then people might be aware.

I think this is over-optimistic - national newspapers, perhaps - but I can't even find anything on the BBC news website. :(

The Register has an article explaining how the vote was lost.

I think this is over-optimistic - national newspapers, perhaps - but I can't even find anything on the BBC news website. :(

Well it might be too off-topic fopr nationals but what if a software developer in the constitunency might go out of business becuase of this.

All you need is to make one MEP aware enough to ask questions.

Pffffff :(

Me I thought this was over and thought the problem of Patent on software was solved. Big mistake.

The big guys were soft until now as they didn't want to show how bad Patent on software is before it was adopted. Now they are going to have fun.

The bad side effect of the patent on software are starting to be obvious in the States and I bet they are going to soften it before 5 years..after Longhorn is released. Then Europe will stay with the most restrictive law of the world .. before as usual we do like America with 5 years delay and then soften it too.. when we would be completely trapped with Longhorn and all those "trusted" computing.

Now what ? In my little company we make (proprietary, Windows :unsure: ) softwares. I'm sure we use some patented things without knowing. We made a meeting and decided we are not going to change anything. Business as usual. If we got some trouble, let's see. For now I just continue to keep any assets away from this unstrusted state. After I've stayed like a clandestine in my own country for more than 2 years because I didn't wanted to pay some fines, I know we need to be able to move on a week delay. :furious3:

back to the topic: Yeah gowator, you are right. let's continue to do all we can. It's not over. I'm going to meet the candidates for the European elections and talk with them.