The Far Cry Rumour...

SoulSe

There has been a rumour doing the rounds of a native Linux port for the game Far Cry. Since I saw the game at a store and really liked it, I decided to investigate.

My investigation turned up both good and bad news - the bad news is that there is NOT a _native_ Linux port for Far Cry.

BUT - The good news is that the project causing this rumour is actually a loki installer that installs Far Cry in Linux BUT requires WineX to actually run it.

More information: http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/a...php?storyid=245

You can download it here: http://liflg.linux-gamers.net/

I haven't actually tried it yet, because I do not own a copy of the game. :cheesy: It's part of a project to make installers for games and use WineX to run them. I'm sure it'll cause some heated debates.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started out being completely against WineX - now it is one of the things I like most about my desktop box.

Transgaming has done more good for Linux gaming than the bad we all expected... but lets not go into that debate here, we're discussing all the great games we get to play thanks to this project! w00t!

Except that the fact that it runs in WineX means that they probably still aren't thinking of doing a linux version - nor are they likely to do so...

They said that they would never do a Linux port - so I think we all agree that this is better than the nothing we would have otherwise had.

mmmm Far Cry. such a beautiful engine, if only they gave the sandbox editor linux porting capabilites, because, something tells me the CryEngine is going to be veeery popular

I haven't ever seen better physics engines... but then I don't play that many games ;)

Guest Adriano

The good part of the bad is that at least we can say to people "Yes, Linux _does_ run X". Even if it means a lot of hassle, it can be done. That's better than "No, sorry but no Far Cry for you".

It seems to me that, in the short to medium term, WineX is good for Linux, bad for Linux gaming.

Good for Linux in that it's easier to persuade people to switch OS if they know they can still play their favourite games

Bad for Linux gaming in that gaming companies are far less likely to provide ports of their games as long as WineX is so popular

The problem will arise in the longer term when Linux is more popular (hopefully that'll happen!) and WineX will simply be a liability. We won't need it to help switch users over - Linux will be more mainstream with a larger user base anyway, but it will still be getting in the way of Linux gaming

Hopefully, at that, stage Gaming companies will simply recognise the popularity of Linux and port their games anyway and WineX will simply die by virtue of being redundant... hopefully...

Drat. That was exactly what I was going to say.

WineX serves a purpose for now - enabling a growing market. When the market has grown enough, the games companies will start doing more for it. Hey Unreal and Doom are both being given Linux versions, so its easily possible (indeed I'd vouch that my none WineX Unreal2004 runs better than either in WineX or straight in windows).

However, if we are serious about games on Linux, someone has to grab openGL by the horns, and get a radicle improvement in it - similar to the lines that Micro(cough) did with the DirectX system.

However, if we are serious about games on Linux, someone has to grab openGL by the horns, and get a radicle improvement in it - similar to the lines that Micro(cough) did with the DirectX system.

Very important point - in fact it is the reason why UT2004 does not look quite as good in Linux as it does in Windows... alot to do with the graphic drivers as well.

I heard a rumour a while ago about one of the head developers of DirectX leaving Microshaft and developing for Linux - any truth to the rumour? Anybody know?

no idea, but if its true, then it should only be good news.

OpenGL itself is a good system, but its too limited in its current state to sucessfully compete with DirectX, and from what I understand DirectX is significantly easier to use.. all things that need looking at and improving. Further to this, DirectX isn't just about graphics, its the entire multimedia system - joystick, mouse, soundcard etc, enabling complete control within the game environment. OpenGL would need to be as all-encompassing to make it worth while - otherwise you have to write for OpenGL, X and OSS / ALSA / ARTS / EDOs / Anyother sound system

no idea, but if its true, then it should only be good news.

OpenGL itself is a good system, but its too limited in its current state to sucessfully compete with DirectX, and from what I understand DirectX is significantly easier to use.. all things that need looking at and improving. Further to this, DirectX isn't just about graphics, its the entire multimedia system - joystick, mouse, soundcard etc, enabling complete control within the game environment. OpenGL would need to be as all-encompassing to make it worth while - otherwise you have to write for OpenGL, X and OSS / ALSA / ARTS / EDOs / Anyother sound system

Not really just use opengl and sdl, or openml.