The Far Cry Rumour...

SoulSe

Tyme have you used Java 1.5? I'd suggest that 1.5 is the fastest version of java I have seen, and its getting faster all the time.

Yes I know there are issues, but at the end of the day, this is one of the reasons that Java was born, and eventually could be very beneficial to any development company

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just 'cuz it's the fastest version of java doesn't make it faster than compiled code ;)

besides, we're talking about graphics and algorithm intensive games :P interpretating them would cuz perfomance hits. that's all i'm saying :)

Yeah I agree, it would cause a performance hit. But Java is capable of being compiled before, rather than on-the-fly, and you could do this with another system too, which would remove a large amount of that processing time.

Though taken, I really couldn't see Far Cry working on anything other than dedicated code AT THE MOMENT.

However, this is part of a problem with PC game makers (no insult intended guys) but those who coded games for Amiga / Playstation / any console you can think of, had to constantly code to the restrictions of the system, and still make good performing games. PC game makers know that they don't have to take care with resources, and end up doing things in a lazy way, not coding as well as they could - if they were restricted by hardware, then they would have to improve their programming abilities to perform the same algorithms at a less cpu intensive rate.

Granted the above is a generalisation, but it happens. Using a common API restricted by some issues would force better coding standards, and thus better performing games.

Well thats my 6 pence anyway :P

The idea of a common API is a good one, I know that OpenGL works in Windows but I don't know about SDL.

Forget about programming languages... if there was a common API that covered as much ground as DirectX does then we would have the ultimate solution - the game would be almost identical under both Operating Systems except for the installer. OSX users would still have to wait for ports though, due to different architecture :P

So the next question is: when are we getting some developers together to code an open-source version of DirectX?

Well then, maybe SDL should be souped up to include graphics? Maybe if someone combined the OpenGL and SDL projects and came up with some real competition for DirectX?

Neverwinter Nights led to me being very unimpressed with SDL however. So I'm not convinced that it is any good...