Linux equivalent to Microsoft Terminal Services

phunni

I had a friend of mine ask me if Linux had a terminal services package anywhere. I answered that it probably does, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was.

So - what is the answer? I know X can display over a network, but I don't think that's the same thing - especially as this guy wants to be able to do this over an internet connection and running X over the internet is painfully slow, even on broadband (I tried it one time running evolution over the internet...) Plus, I remember trying to watch the Rugby World Cup on Paul's machine running in NZ :D )

phunni .... I think the answer is the inverse.

MS terminal services just bolts on a few remote access tools to WinBlows.... and these are native to linux anyway.

If you ssh to a machine then you can /etc/init.d/service start¦stop¦restart etc etc : isnt this all M<S terminal services are providing.. ??

I think you might be right about the answer being inverse, but - MS TS provides graphical logins over the internet - I'm not aware of a linux equivalent.

I know that many users can log in remotely to one box, but I don't believe they can all export different X displays at the same time - and even if they could it would be too slow...

The difference is the graphical element...

Well webmin is pretty graphical .....

its just linux philosophy vs win philosophy I think....

linux uses a internet protcol like http or https whereas MS reinvents one.

There are some professional desktop products or vnc etc. basically you have a whole range of options depending what you wanna do.

linuxconf also allows remote access (you have to enable it and its off by default) ... p.s. this is why im so big on standard tools :D

linux has all it needs and more.... except MS makesit sound like somethings missing.

Basically, the reason I'm asking the question is that a friend of mine has a small business where he sets up and admins servers for his clients. The kind of thing he offers is file nad print servers (I know how to do that with Linux) and terminal services where clients can log in remotely and have a desktop available over the internet.

At present he's doing all of this with windows, but he wants to explore the possibility of doing it in Linux - primarily in the hope that he can save money.

Obviously the very fact that his clients currently have a GUI system means that they will expect this as a minimum - so I'm really looking for a Linux alternative

If I can find one, then we can both begin to systematically convert his clients to Linux :D

Well if they want to log into a Windows server they can use metaframe clients.

However www.tarantella.com offers a very professional solution for linux/unix - linux/unix with terminal services on top if you like.

www.thinanywhere.com do a cheaper solution but its only 2 tier ...

the software you're looking for is LTSP - Linux Terminal Server Project ;-)

http://www.ltsp.org/

not quite sure if this can do everything you ask or not, it should do though.

you could also save money by not using windows clients but using windows terminal server if necessary, rdesktop acts as a terminal services client similar to windows "mstmc" (do windows key+ R, type that in to see what i mean.)

LTSP is not the solution if he wants to have terminal service over the internet. Believe me, it doesn't work that way.

I think the best solution is VNC. Mandrake should provide some VNC server. All the client need is either use a web browser (slow) or download a VNC client. VNC is kinda slow over the internet, but bearable if you have broadband.

• 4 weeks later...

XDCMP and VNC are not secure. at least thats what the company security bigwigs are telling me not to mention ordering me to remove all VNC applications on all workstations that i support. they are requiring our project to use TS, NetOP, PCAnywhere and the likes but they are missing one important point: none of those are free and our project cant afford to buy the needed license. :(

ciao!

• 5 weeks later...
They have an explanation of how to do this over at mandrakeuser.org.

"they" is actually him, Tom Berger, who was the one who started this board - and then disappeared, and we had to sort of go out on our own since we were without and admin when he disappeared (as I understand it).