Does Mandrake run hotter than Windows?

ral

I installed LM sensors and was monitoring my CPU temps. I noitced that it was running 3-4C hotter than normal. I decided to compare Windows XP with Mandrake Linux 10 idle temps, and it appears that Mandrake runs about 2-3C hotter than Windows XP.

Has anyone noticed or confirmed this?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually had the opposite when I was running me and 9.0. Perhaps I should check it out now; I haven't really tried it with 10 and xp.

linux has always run a few hotter for me on 2 diff pc's. But is it? How are you getting the temps?

cat /proc/acpi/*

In win I have software. In lin I can also use software (gkrellm or whatever) Gkrellm>lmsensors (whilch can be adjusted)

shows a diff reading than the /proc filesystem by just a few degrees. I'm no hardware guru to say the least, but I think that is what we are seeing...a software interpretation of what's really happening. I'd imagine that if you booted both xp and mandrake>login>idle for 30 minutes>reboot to the bios and checked it there.....you'd see the same reading. I haven't done it because in that short period of time your temp can change a few degrees. Apples and oranges. :D Is not this controlled by the acpi interface?

technically, xp runs a lot hotter than lin for me because I'm usually in it to play games, running it up to 50-55C :P

cmr04 :headbang:

*.wmv

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~dds250/movie/cmr04demo.wmv

Edited by bvc

There are a couple of possible explanations for this.

1. The configuration of either your windows monitoring program or your linux monitoring program (in this case lmsensors) is miscalibrated. Use the pc health section in your bios to find out the real temperature.

2. There are some programs running in the background of your mandrake, taking cpu power (so it's not idle). Check what programs those are and if need be, kill them.

3. There are certain programs in linux and windows that sends "CPU IDLE instructions to the CPU" I know in linux it was named athcool (google for it), but I dunno what its name in windows.

linux has always run a few hotter for me on 2 diff pc's. But is it? How are you getting the temps?

cat /proc/acpi/*

In win I have software. In lin I can also use software (gkrellm or whatever) Gkrellm>lmsensors (whilch can be adjusted)

shows a diff reading than the /proc filesystem by just a few degrees. I'm no hardware guru to say the least, but I think that is what we are seeing...a software interpretation of what's really happening. I'd imagine that if you booted both xp and mandrake>login>idle for 30 minutes>reboot to the bios and checked it there.....you'd see the same reading. I haven't done it because in that short period of time your temp can change a few degrees. Apples and oranges. :D Is not this controlled by the acpi interface?

technically, xp runs a lot hotter than lin for me because I'm usually in it to play games, running it up to 50-55C :P

cmr04 :headbang:

*.wmv

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~dds250/movie/cmr04demo.wmv

Actually this was my thought when I looked at the thread the other day (0) posts. But since I dont have XP (or any winBlows) I didnt say anything.

If your really worried before trying anything else do like bvc says and reboot into bios and check. Beats spending ages tweaking stuff only to find it was just reported different ?

Hi!

How can I see the CPU temperature (and similar stuff) in Windows? I know how to do it only in Linux...

Thanks for your help! :D

For windows, you could get something like Motherboard Monitor

A laptop may heat differently as the "Designed For Windows XP" ones usually take commands from a process running on Windows. But in terms of a desktop, I havent noticed any difference, this could be because my fan speeds etc. arent controlled by the motherboard or software since I have a frontmount fanspeed/rhoebus controller.

On a self built box check the cd that came with it, it usually comes with one, like in my case WindBond WinDoctor or something. Even if it am OEM pc or some generic variation or even name brand, find out what mobo/bios version it is and mosey on over the the manufacturer/bios websites, find out what it uses and see if it's downloadable from them.....I'd think it would be, no?

Yes, every mb I get now has a temp utility. The good ones report the bios temp directly. I am sure that you can download any of these utilities from the manufacturer.