Police in your computer ?

Technonoid

http://www.stoppoliceware.org/

I'm afraid it will come no matter what we do.

I'm also afraid of something I've thought about in cars, trucks and suv's. They all have computer controlled engines and some transmissions. On semi trucks they already have the computer tracking maximum speeds, hard stops, everything that truck did. It wouldn't be very much of a problem to have those computers equiped with a transmitter for police. All though he/shee was not speeding up to the check point, they would know he/she was speeding 10 miles down the road. This could easily be put on cars. And like I said, I'm afraid it just might happen...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've alread got those on certain cars. I live in Houston and a young girl was just prosecuted for IV Manslaughter (I think) because she was in an accident where one of the passengers in her car was killed. The article that I read said that they determined that she was at fault when they checked the computer for the speed and hard brake and also compared the time to the trafic signal at that location. Ended up that she sped thru a red light. May have been good in her case, but I still don't like the idea. Caused quite a controversy here. People wanting lists of affected vehicles and how to shut the monitoring system off.

So the infamous SSSSCA rears it ugly head by another name. Any one want to bet the the PoliceWare is hardware DRM???

Key points of the old SSSSCA

Would have:

Mandated Hardware DRM

Outlawed all NON hardware DRM computers

Outlawed all Homebuilt Computers

Outlawed LINUX OS Outright (Disney had this one added) We can guess where they got it from. (hint: Microsoft)

Mandated DRM OS

(Hint: DRM Patent is owned by Microsoft)

bvc, i know what you mean man :lol:

that is a scary yet very um..."good" proposition. it will cut down on grand theft auto, because the police could have like a...photo document of the owner of the car. if the driver don't meet the picture, "get me tha po-lice!"

OUT :headbang:

I just read the Bill's text. What it is doing is clamping a lid on Piracy, while keeping Fair Use intact in the home.

I find the language clear and reasonable.

This is totally unlike the SSSSCA.

Keep in mind that they are still working to Enact the SSSSCA bit by bit.

Think you'd be able to get around the law by removing the policeware from your personal computer? Think again -- anyone who defies the government by disabling or tampering with the policeware on their own computer, in the privacy of their own home or business, would also face five years in the slammer.

Reasonable?

Sarissi: You do realize, if this was enacted and you lived within the U.S., you wouldn't be able to put Linux on your computer?

Since it's unlikely (so insanely so that i find it hard to even consider the possibility) Linux (or any other open source O/S or even program) would include such things in their program/code - not only would it just be against their philosophy, it definitely wouldn't be open source and would cause issues with licensing - then using Linux would put you in the slammer for 5 years.

Reasonable?

Edited by tyme

Look what happens when big corporations get to buy politicians.

Honestly, what good would that do for the general public? Who's best interest should politicians have at heart?

No offense, but isn't democracy in a way as big a failure as communism?

From a Phd thesis, I paraphrase:

Just as communism doesn't work since it supposes the masses are able to share,

democracy doesn't work since it supposes the masses are able to think.

Imagine, these politicians are senators, they got elected. But they got put on their senat chairs by corporations.

No offense, but isn't democracy in a way as big a failure as communism?

From a Phd thesis, I paraphrase:

Just as communism doesn't work since it supposes the masses are able to share,

democracy doesn't work since it supposes the masses are able to think.

Imagine, these politicians are senators, they got elected. But they got put on their senat chairs by corporations.

Democracy fails when the people of the democracy fail. Here?..that happened a long time ago.

There is no greater need served by this law, or even the contemplation of it. And worse, the media will not carry stories against it because it is their finance that the law protects. But, just like prohibition of alcohol did not work, neither will this, and America's criminals will find yet another income source for their other interests. Our government does not understand tech stuff, and if this gets passed, they will show their ignorance once again.

Actually, the gap is narrowing. Can't speak for all areas, but I know that much of our military technology is being trailed and sometimes suprassed by private sector tech. At the rate that technology is being developed, once our gov. decides to fund something, It's already old news.