Mandrake linux 10.1?

Guest NSL1212

It seems that the time in between CE and Official will be smaller (not even a month). In that case, will the bugs really be cleaned enough before Official? Will not a lot of people prefer to wait for those three weeks? In that case the whole point of having a CE might become endangered!

Ciao,

Sitor

Seems a little fast for a release to me...10.0 Official isn't due out until May and that is saying Sept 15 for 10.1 Official.  That's only 4 months instead of the normal 6-8, but other than that it looks fine to me.

i guess this is what is called a "sliced-approach"; a team works on release X and while release X is somewhere near the middle, another team is dispatched to lay the groundwork for release X+1.

ciao!

Either that or the jump from 10.0 to 10.1 is not as demanding in terms of development as 9.2 to 10.0. The developers probably know a few tricks in making 10.x series works now.. (such as what patches to include in kernel 2.6, improvement on the draktools etc). So the time difference between 10.1 CE and 10.1 Official is not as big as the case with 10.0

Of course, it's a expected timeline.. it can change.

That development plan really seems challenging, but maybe Mandrake's decision to release more Betas and develop better bug reporting tools makes it possible. At least I've been quite impressed of speed Linus & co develop kernel. Linus mentioned that their development speed was improved by a source code manager. Maybe Mandrake has also a similar system? But it's sure that software development, programming languages (and editors) and project tools have improved a lot recent years.

Maybe the release tempo we have used to think is old and tempo will be faster and faster. It would really be a good sign to see IT development reach the same level other business projects have. I mean, only 20% of IT projects are completely succesful - that's too low a level.

And of course, MDK10 will be a major one. 10.1 etc. will be probably minor tweaks and bug fixes, but ttey'll surely include also new KDE versions, for example. MDK10CE really seems to be "a killer tux", when the majority of annoying bugs are fixed...

Edited by Huerzo

Going from 2.6.x to 2.6.x is not as big a development headache as 2.4.x to 2.6.x.

I feel that 2.6.x is a huge upgrade from 2.4.x kernels.

One thing we have learned, is that mandrake X.2 release is not always going to be as rock solid as 8.2 was (first truly rock solid version).