Knoppix or Mandrakemove?

Fwiw, I've never been able to get MDK Move to work on any of my PCs that run MDK 9.2. I never get past a blank blue screen during bootup. Fwiw, the MD5SUMS check out and the CDs burn without errors, so I'm dumbfounded.

I ended up giving up on MDK Move, and tried Knoppix. Wow, Knoppix was great. The only problem is that you have to be fairly patient to run Linux off of a live CD. The latency of the loading the system on a P3-800, for example, would take the wind out of your sails if you were trying to impress anyone. This could be a very different situation on a fast P4, though.

I've recently been demonstrating Linux using the Suse 9.0 LiveEval CD. Like Knoppix, you can boot from the CD and it puts on a pretty impressive demonstration. In may ways I like it more than Knoppix, so its worth checking out.

hth!

Ah ghil,

Most importantly .....

Knoppix does French .. PCLinuxOS doesn't

Knoppix has worked on every PC i tried it on.

(upwards to 10)

I tried Mandrake Move on 2 and it failed to boot on both....

This makes it pretty valueless as a LIVE CD in the concept of move where you just boot up and save everything to your USB key since you have no idea if it will work or not.

For instance last time i went to the UK I replaced my laptop with 1CD and 1 USB key! (much lighter)

So I figure the reliability of knowing it will boot is pretty important.

My experience of MandrakeMove is 0/2...

I am pretty certain it would actually boot on the one machine I didn't try it. But thats not really the point ... Im hardly going to reboot a server in order to test a live CD.

I also tried MOVE under VMWARE.... it failed...knoppix didn't. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to add another Knoppix based distro to this battle....

...Overclockix. The latest version is based off of Knoppix 3.4 C't . It comes with Gnome, KDE and Fluxbox installed and does sync up perfectly with the debian sources. I installed it to the HDD and got both Enemy Territory and UT2004 to run, along with installing the NVidia drivers. Try it out if your/ or your friend is a gamer.

• 5 months later...
Guest digitalsuperman

so far, no problem with knoppix 3.3. I havent used the other versions of it..

i still have to download it..

there is another version of knoppix..that is the 3.6..any thoughts on it guys??

anyways...i tried to use the knoppix 3.3...then i tried to save a file on my hda6(ext3 partition)...

I remounted my hda6 as rewritable..

but when i rebooted my mdk10.0(official)..

it sez kernel panic....

is it advisable to remount a partition as rewritable, especially if it is a linux partition??