mandrake 10 community seems really good

lets-eat-gary

I've only used it for a short while but it seems really good

plus points :-

- speed - on my system it is faster and more responsive - also 3d games faster

- menu system - the mandrake control panel does seem better

- all my hardware works - installed nvidia gerforece card within 15 mins - works like a treat

bad points :-

- ive noticed a couple of minor bugs - hourglass displayed when mouse is actually active

- the stupid - you have to install of the 2nd disk bug

This is just my opinion so far - i've only been using it for about 4 days but it seems like the best version i have used !

If your running a stable system now and all your hardware is recognized, or if you have anything that can't be easily replaced on your system... I would wait. You can just upgrade packages to get the newer toys and eyecandy.

On the other hand, if things just ain't working like they should, you have one of those USB devices (or other) that you can't get working, and you are prepared to start all over (just in case) then go for it.

I have tried to install it on two systems with nearly identicle hardware, except that one of the two has a busted motherboard that crashes al the time.

One the busted mobo, I have had a realy hard time getting it working and can't get USB to work dependably.

On the one with near identicle hardware that's all working normaly, everything installed flawlessly, and MANY things work far better than before. I would highly reccomend it.

This is as buggy as any of the releases. I have downloaded and updated around 500mb of data, and everything is coming around except the slow browser speed.I haven't figured that one out yet. Personally, I would wait for the final. I think it will be stable and worth purchasing.

The eye candy is excellent!

My browser is really fast on 10.0 CE.

What I sorely MISS:

File Manager (Super User Mode)!!!!

Detection of USB Local Printer (may be related to Nforce2 chipset)

More information in KDE Control Center

I am running a pure 10.0 CE (no 9.1 on my system). If they don't fix the USB printer thing, I will have to find a PCI Parallel card (2 printers here, and one can use USB).

I detest having to logout and log back in as root to do some things.

Otherwise, 10.0 CE is sweeeet!

Edited by Sarissi

I don't have to log out and back in as root to do anything. It's all good. What are you ahveing issue with? It may just be because I don't use a root password on my system. It's a single user system with no real need for security.

Also, it autodetected my USB printer, so I think you may be right about the chip-set.

I have 10.0 running nicely on my laptop, but my regular working system won't take to 10.0 because of the EZ-Drive problem (my linux is on hdb which is EZ, hda is Win and Debian unstable) and the fact that I can't boot off of cd1, thus not being able to install with the 2.4.25 kernel. I will wait to see if the EZ-Drive problem is fixed by the time 10.0 final is out. That leaves me with my good old stable 9.2 all set up the way I like it.

That's actually fine with me because it forces me to focus on what I use my computer for. 9.2 works just great and from my experience with my laptop I doubt that I really "need" 10.0. I'd like it, but it feels good to wait and see.

Back to my drive I recall seing somewhere that inb the 2.6.4 kernel is an EZ-drive patch of sorts. Anyone know if that is so?

everything is coming around except the slow browser speed.

I couldn't agree with this more; 9.2 is noticeably faster for browsing. It seems there is less of a difference with browsers other than mozilla. Have started using konqueror because it got so annoying. Anyway, glad to see I'm not the only one.

It works perfectly for me, all my hardware is recognized out of the box (including USB-printer, USB-Camera and Memorystick).

As for browsing-speed, I work with Opera and I did'nt notice any differences. B)

I only encountered some minor probs, with XMMS (it does'nt play with soundwrapper) and with setting my fancy hostname.

I'm very enthousiastic about the improved speed and offcourse about the looks!

Go Mandy, Go Mandy :headbang:

I only encountered some minor probs, with XMMS (it does'nt play with soundwrapper) and with setting my fancy hostname.

I guess they forgot to include hostname mgmt in MCC. Couldn't find it.

No real speed improvement for me on my old Celeron sandbox, but all hardware recognized.

Loading XFree is slow (although video card and screen correctly detected). Ah, and a really slow login time: takes 3 to 4 secs to get the prompt once you've entered the correct pwd. PAM problem ?

During install, I've also found a couple of "bad" rpms on CD 3 and 4, despite a correct md5sum. As far as I remember, it was in OpenOffice and Mandrake french documentation.

Apart from that, nice distro, and already 300 Mb of updates, found on the Netherlands mirror site (the french ones were not up to date).

My experience:

Everything works faster then before (including Mozilla). KDE 3.2 is great.

Have had a problem with my mouse, but now that I just exchanged my mouse at home with that at work, problem is gone. I have not installed the updates yet, maybe that would have fixed the problem as well.

Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet though (even have to install Flash and Acrobat reader still). Whole in whole I think 10.0 CE rocks big time.

Ciao,

Sitor