mandrake 10 community seems really good

lets-eat-gary

Its bangin- and I adore the new kde!!! I find things in kde loading a bit faster... gnome seems about the same if I remember right- I never use it anymore but its still nice. I even got my Logitech dual analog gamepad working great! I had to re-install alot of software, and I still havent found realplayer, of course I did about 200 mb in bugfixes- but I dont mind I have a blazing cable connection. Mandy 10.0 is lovely :thumbs:

It's really, really great.

But I have two remarks

1. There's still a lot of bugs in it (and I can't dowload fixes since I couldn't get networking to work yet).

2. The internet connection panel now is EVEN MORE CONFUSING than before!! I guess it is no problem when everything gets autodetected or if your one of these guys that fiddles with config files just to pass dead time, but I cannot make heads or tails about it. What is even worse is the screen does not get refreshed so you get the impression the thing has stalled...

Speed... is GREAT! Everything from startup time to opening and moving windows to using multiple applications simultaneously is faster. As for bootup time I got the impression they started much less processes by default. For me it's better this way. Of course sometimes I still have to wait for the ethernet connection to 'fail'; does anyone know if you can manually 'skip' this step?

The start menu is really well done... although I heard from others on this board it has a tendency to disappear in certain situations :P

Also, I do not have a lot of applications installed by default. Well, I guess I should have chosen 'custom package selection' then...

Darkelve

I just installed it and I love it!!! I used gnoem for a long and now I wanted to try kde again. Kde is really nice. I love kwallet :), but I'm going to replace it with another compatible tool...I can't remember teh name, but I'll fidn it.

The install even improved for me. Ok, I had to run through the wizard manually for my nvidia gforce 2 and my usb-mdeom, but it is a wizard ..ok, ok , ok, ... :). It even listed tiscali-Belgium as a provider. It only gave the wrong dns entries. I think they looked like the old ones from wanadoo, but mayeb those also work. Who wants windows???????? Thisi is one excellent release. At least for the presons who's hardware is supported, but even then if you can set it up quicly manually ....

This is a first impression, but ...woow. Also the Mandrake Control Center improved, but not the firewall-part. I'll edit my shorewall files manually. No problem normally.

So, I liek this release at first sight. If problems occur I'll be back ...

I have to agree that I first found the internet-layout in Mandrake Control Center a little confusing. mostly asking myself: if my connection had it' s own profile/was listed or not. Also the dns-values didn't appear in the boxes and all the other info exvept one thing I believe, but it worked ... but that can be confusing it doesn't work ..has to be fixed .... Also creating anew profile cna be done better with a button I think instead of the drop-down-menu. But can be wrong there.

Why do some words are highlighted red? Does kde has spelchecker support for evry textbox you type in? A kde-textbox anyway... Words seem to exist...doesn't seem spellchecker..if anyone can tell we what it is ... the, to, ... are highlighted.

Edited by Michel

I just installed it and I love it!!! I used gnoem for a long and now I wanted to try kde again. Kde is really nice. I love kwallet :), but I'm going to replace it with another compatible tool...I can't remember teh name, but I'll fidn it.

Kwallet may be nice, but for a tool that is meant to make life easier, getting to know it SURE is complicated. I think a lot of n00bies are just going to give op on it (probably they won't even find it, cause in my install it was hard to find in the menu structure.

Once you set it up, it probably is extremely useful. But it's kind of a nightmare to set it up. Very confusing.

Darkelve

If you guys are talking about browsing speed as in actually on the net and not browser startup times, I know what the problem is - 10.0 is resetting your DNS setting in MCC to 127.0.0.1 (loopback, a.k.a. yourself when it should be whatever you ISP told you. It means it works but S_L_O_W). If someone has the ability to tell mandrake this please do.

I don't know which exact update increased the speed cause there were so many, but it definitely got snappier in the last few days of updates. The little bugs seems to be disappearing too so they are most certainly tweaking 10.0 CE like crazy with the 700+ MB of updates. All the improvements going into Mandrake makes me really appreciate the hard work they are putting into it. I am not seeing the same commitment on my other computer with Fedora so it looks like it is time fix that RHN update problem for good :D

The new kernel fixes the problem. I had to switch to the 2.4.x kernel to improve net performance. But the 2.6.3-7 works great. And it still has the same settings in network setup.