Change in Mandrake Linux Development process

tarelax

Check this:

Major change in Mandrake Linux' development process - "MandrakeSoft today announced a major evolution in the way that future Mandrake Linux distributions will be engineered and released. The purpose of this new development process is to provide

the highest level of new features, as well as maximizing the quality of new products."

all details about this exciting evolution are available in the following press-release.

It looks like a major improvement from the QA perspective, if it goes as planned.

Go Mandrake!

tarelax

This looks like a good plan. It really is already how things are done. By publically stating it, everyone now knows when they are on "bleeding edge", and when they are using a truely stable version.

I'm not sure how "major" the improvement is, but it certainly acknowledges the fact that a large community of users is responsible for product success.

I guess the major improvement is -as said- redefining the terminology by distinguishing cutting edge and stable/official. However, there is a big difference between releasing (for example Mandrake 9.2 as) a finished product and then issuing hundreds of MB of patches versus calling it a community release. The latter will -hopefully- shut up the Mandrake trolls. Creating a bug-free, polished official product is also important for businesses and serious users, who care more about stability.

I am really hopeful for MDK 10 now. I guess I will not have the patience to wait for the official version :)

tarelax

From what I understand of it, I think this is a good idea. In comparison to having to download what amounts to a third cd worth of info, (errata and bugfixes) I am all for it. I am a little more patient since I have to hound a friend to get them since I only have dial up.

WolfePak

Best thing, combined with the Golden Rules, that any commercial linux has done in the last 24 months.

Go Mandrake,... you may actually have a business plan yet! :D :P

Those on broadband can use the community release and upgrade along the way, those who get the discs (magazines etc) to use just once and have a good working distro should wait for the official release.

This is actually what was happening with the 9.2 club isos -- which I downloaded but sofar haven't used (on cable internet --- already updated).

I do wonder how they are going to do things for clubmembers, will those have a headstart? And if so, on the community release or official?

I'd vote for a headstart on the official...

Hmmm

1) After the traditional debugging of several Beta and Release Candidates, the final version of "Mandrake Linux 10.0 Community" will be released in February/March. This version will be available for download and as a DVD-set through e-Commerce.

Im all in favour of this.....

But it still seems they have missed out their 'retail' and 'preinstalled' customers.

Am I missing something or does this state its ONLY available for download or through the mandrake online.

Does that mean they will continue selling boxsets of the download release.....??

It doesn't sem to say ?????

Wait, if I get binoculars I can probably see Duval right now...

No one would like to (or should!) spend lots of money on a boxed set that is less good than the debugged version that comes out 2 months later.

So, the community edition SHOULD not be available on packs, only the official edition, with all the bugfixes.

agree wholeheartedly!

doing so will only result in more confusion and frustration.

Well I obviously agree, Im just not sure what the intention is???

Mandrake have come up with some pretty good ideas over the years, they just tend to miss a single detail though!!!

I hope what they are implying is ONLY STABLE will be available in boxsets or on pre-installed machines....