Microsoft asks Linux users

Darkelve

Just how many times do they expect us to believe them?

I think I will believe that boy who cried wolf long before trusting them with anything again.

I think its time for an organized counter-attack. We can ask windoze users why they must buy a new system (complete with the $150 MS tax) when they find their previous system was garbage. I mean, if you buy two crappy Ford's in a row... do you replace it with another Ford?

Just how many times do they expect us to believe them?

I think I will believe that boy who cried wolf long before trusting them with anything again.

I think its time for an organized counter-attack.  We can ask windoze users why they must buy a new system (complete with the $150 MS tax) when they find their previous system was garbage. I mean, if you buy two crappy Ford's in a row... do you replace it with another Ford?

Scoopy:

Are they afraid none will update to their next Longhorn when it arrives and therefore do these weird survey-kind-of things??

an organized counter-action (I would not immediately call it an 'attack'), this is very interesting. Imho, the time is more than ripe for that.

We have got some excellent desktop distro's out there, like Mandrake and SuSe, we got the 2.6 kernel soon, and the applications have really matured.

Longhorn is, at least, 2 years away.

So what are we waiting for? All we need is a plan.

How about an effort to advocate and educate about Linux world-wide, and this in a choosen week? If someone can get people world-wide to do this, it should give massive exposure to people and, as a result, in the media.

Imagine Linux being advocated all over the world, within the same timeframe. Of course, a lot of us already do that in their spare time, but not on this scale.

Darkelve

P.S. I don't know the story about wolf, what is it?

there is NOTHING M$ could do to get me back. i have been with windows since 3.1 all the way to XP. i beta tested XP, and foolishly bought XP. thats right, i spent $199 for the XP pro upgrade :wall::oops::furious3: . i have suggested to M$ that they develop a new file system. kinda like XFS or rieserfs. they never contacted me back, but it seems they took the idea WinFS.

i was already mad at M$ for the 300+ bugs and vulnerabilities found in the final release of XP that SP1 addressed. i at that time, wrote them and told them i would never buy another M$ product. now due to my recent issue with windows, i wont touch windows again.

i wouldnt touch windows if they paid me for it. :furious3: :deal: :screwy:

I would be much happier about using windows if:

There was no forced upgrade/re-registration

There was no spyware

There was no software designed to control how I can use MY computer

There was no software that forced me to use MS products -i.e. Ofiice's closed formats.

My problem with windows is not so much the quality of the software (although I have some questions there) as much as the business practices of MS. If they imporved those then I would certainly be happy about using windows for some things...

I agree with phunni.

Its the business practices...

The point is the lied, lied again and kept lying so now they can only convince me by starting to be honest.

the problem is that they are probably incapable of being hoest and they have been deceiving so long that even if (say Gates died and someone else came in to take over) they couldn't convince me they have changed. The name microSoft is synonymous with dishonest business practice and they have spent years building it up.....

Even if they genuinly want to change then how can they convince me...???

For that matter how can they convince themselves....

But really, is this questionnaire really from MS?

I wonder as well. Some people suspect it's just a hoax. No one smart and well-connected enough to pick up the phone to M$ though. Or maybe they're afraid their phone will be tapped...

Edit: by now, I am not sure I even should have post it.

Oh well, you're all old enough to decide what to do on your own anyways...

Edited by Darkelve