MandrakeMove

Technonoid

Kewl!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

always wanted to do that... now I have a reason to...

has this anything to do with the LinuxPCOS ??

Edit: so this was the Christmas gift?

Oh darn. Where's a delete post button when U need one?

Please forgive me, :evilmod: I'm way too excited!

Edited by anon

Edited by anon

anon,

Not quite the perfect solution.

Download edition... 1. No save to USB drive

2. No NVidia® drivers, Acrobat® ReaderTM, RealPlayerTM, FlashPlayerTM, and MandrakeMove documentation.

I´d stick to PCLOS for the time being.

Since I had download caps imposed I need to be careful about downloading large iso's so I will wait for Texstar's version to get more updated software. it will be interesting to see if either follows the Knoppix footsteps and creates a script for a hard drive install. On the Knoppix site last night I was amazed at how far custom, specialized applications are being developed around Knoppix. There were two for medical purposes, one for managing a general practice and another for collecting a comparing medical imaging such as MRI's CAT scans, PET scans and good old Xrays. It looks like this is the way to go for getting Linux on desktops that we would never thought of before that first Knoppix disk.

Counterspy

Well.. PCLOS preview 4 is just out today. Too bad I don't have it yet since my main leecher ( :) ) 's cable modem is out of comission. With the poor tech support he is having, it will probably be a week before I got the cd.

I really really really need to get broadband in this city before I die of bandwidth widthdrawal :wall:

I'm downloading texstar's now. From what I see on their forum, they plan to have a hard drive install script for it in the final release. I tried mandrake move yesterday evening when I got home. Regrettably, it didn't like my new lcd screen; kept getting "out of range" error messages from the screen hardware and wouldn't display.

I always carry a copy of Knoppix 3.2 in my suitcase, but have always missed the opportunity to store stuff... I can't wait for MandrakeMove to be finalized, so I can use it with my 256MB USB-stick :-)

anon,

Not quite the perfect solution.

Download edition...      1. No save to USB drive

2. No  NVidia® drivers, Acrobat® ReaderTM, RealPlayerTM,        FlashPlayerTM, and MandrakeMove documentation.

I´d stick to PCLOS for the time being.

This is what the website says: (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mandrakemove)

#  The MandrakeMove Download Edition (Beta as of December, 1st 2003) is available on many FTP mirrors (Note: The Beta version does not support USB key features).

#  The MandrakeMove Boxed Edition is available for immediate pre-order at MandrakeStore.com. The Boxed Edition provides the complete MandrakeMove system, plus the capability to save configuration and personal data to a USB key, plus additional commercial software such as NVidia® drivers, Acrobat® ReaderTM, RealPlayerTM, FlashPlayerTM, and MandrakeMove documentation.

So the real question is will the USB key feature work in the "non beta" download edition, or will Mandrake be making this "proprietary?"

Tried Texstar's (preview 3 and 4) and Mandrake's.

PCLOS: Everything is just great. Also impressing that they reached preview 4 in a very short time.

MandrakeMove: Still needs lots of work.

PCLOS based on Mandrake. So the question is, will Tex and a few developers make better distro than Mandy's?!? :unsure:

Today I used Knoppix to save an XP-user that had crashed his laptop and desperately needed his outlook-folders... struggeled a little connecting to a 2000 server to transfer the files, otherwise everything worked great.

When this was done I used mr. mr. Nordahl's BootCD, (it's a really small Linux-version that lets you change NT-passwords and edit windows-registry) to reset the administrator-password that he had forgotten...

Today two different Linux-version really saved my day :tux:

Sorry, off-topic, back on topic:

In my search online for help regarding the connection to 2000server I saw several mentions about Knoppix and USB-sticks... do you know if I could use my USB-stick with Knoppix? I didn't read anything or try because it was to small for the huge outlook-folder anyway, but does anyone know if it's possible/easy?

Edited by TopDog