How do i install a USB digital camera?

Guest Xamusk

I have recently acquired an Aiptek Pocketcam 3.0M, but although I could easily set it up in Windows, I wasn't able to do so in Mdk.

I use Mdk9.1 and have tried many configs and modules.

I have gone through the HOW-TO, but I wasn't even able to mount my device (which appeared only as /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1). By the way, I can't download the pics from the cam nor use it as webcam, because the /dev/video does not appear. I try to use HardDrake, but it shows the camera as sda, but if I use the config tool, it shows the partitions of hda.

If I try to mount /dev/sda I get this message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,

or too many mounted file systems

It's not too many mounted fs, as I can mount other things (like ISOs) without problems. By the way, I can't mount as auto ("mount: you must specify the filesystem type").

Can it be some kind of conflict with my CD-RW, as it is scsi-emulated. Or something about supermount?

How can I install it??? :help: I don't want to go back to VVind0w$

I have just found a site (in Spanish) that describes exactly how to configure my camera. Looks like the main problem is that it doesn't appear as /dev/sda1.

The only thing I have in /dev/ is a link to scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc called sda, but that doesn't work no matter in what port I plug my camera in.

I have just found a site (in Spanish) that describes exactly how to configure my camera. Looks like the main problem is that it doesn't appear as /dev/sda1.

The only thing I have in /dev/ is a link to scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc called sda, but that doesn't work no matter in what port I plug my camera in.

I had a similar problem using my camera in ML9.1. I have a Fuji Finepix 401 and nothing I did enabled me to mount it, either with or without the docking cradle. In the end I resorted to buying a smartmedia adaptor, called Zio. This worked as soon as I connected it with a card in.

However, I have since upgraded to ML9.2 and now my camera works perfectly both with and without the cradle.

I would suggest that you consider one or the other of these options.

Hope that helps in some way B)

However, I have since upgraded to ML9.2 and now my camera works perfectly both with and without the cradle.

I can second that; I also switched to 9.2 which solved my problem.

Maybe the issue here is better support for USB 2.0 in the new Mandrake version? Cannot directly think of another cause (my cam: Trust 700 LCD Powercam).

I got the exact same error message you are describing, but it is solved now.

Darkelve

Edited by Darkelve

If you only have a /dev/sda then this is probably becuase its not reading the partition informaiton.

Mem cards are a bit strange anyway, I don't think they actually have partitions.

However, you should check that the VFAT module is loaded. (then replug the camera.

Mem cards should be FAT-12 .....

A manual force of rereading the hotplug might also help....

try

hotplug usb

Ok,

I did the follozing..zhich isn't the best solution maybe, but it can help. Before you start linux plugin the camera in teh usb-port and during startup it will be detected. This can also be done maybe while running (maybe calling kudzu or something ... ?). Hopefully it detects it then.

My brother just bought a Trust Powerc@m 910Z and Ithe photos can be accessed as a usb-drive under linux. Nothing extra required.