Partition arrangements

Guest timelord

Guest timelord

What type of partition arrangements does everyone use? A single partition? Separate partitions for / and /home? More than that? And if you use multiple partitions, what size are they?

Linux can't use just one partition. It needs at least 2 one for / (root) and one for /swap (the swap partition)

I use 10

The first for windows. So small now I can't load any games into it.

Mandrake 9.1

/ I use 2.5 gig for that. Its a little big but hey I got the room.

/user 3 gig.

/var 1 gig Hey I got the room.

/home 20 gig WAY more than I need but hey....

/tmp 1 gig The Gimp needed a bigger temp file area than normal for some REALY big files.

/swap 1 gig

And the second drive

Mandrake 9.2 with 2 basic partitions.

/ (root)

/home

the swap for 9.2 and 9.1 are shared.

And the last 10 gig is a big empty FAT32 partition.

Mandrake 9.2 has: / @4.8G, /home @9.7G, /usr @9.8G, and a swap of 299MB.

Fedora has: / @9.8G, and a /home @3.6G. Fedora uses the same swap as Mandrake.

I also have windex xp on a 9.8G partition and a FAT32 partition of 8.8G for shared data.

30GB Maxtor

Win98=7GB, hda1

Win2k=10GB, hda5

ML9.2's /=3GB, hda6

swap=200MB, hda7

SuSE's /=3GB, hda8

/share (bkup, media)=6GB, hda10

NOTE: no /home. Even though I run as root now, like I did the first year I used linux, when I did run users /home was pretty worthless to me since I have the /share partition. Preferences should always be backed up and allowed to be replaced when upgrading distro/DE versions anyway, so IMO, /home is a waste of space, especially when space is limited.

If you're going to bkup partitions like cannonfodder then you at least want a separate /usr partition from /.

how come nobody is putting /tmp on a separate partition? afaik it is not one of those directories that needs to be in the root partition. or is it? anyway, i have separate partitions for anything but I symlink /var/tmp to /tmp. i allocated 1GB to /tmp since i was previously doing wine-cvs and it needed 800MB in /var/tmp.

next time i reinstall im doing it simpler like /-/usr-/home-/tmp-/data. currently i have 11 partitions for my mdk9.1 system and that doesnt include the windows partition. :cheesy:

ciao!

wasnt there a threadon this not long ago?

anyway, i have:

/dev/hda7 2.0G 1.5G 470M 76% /

/dev/hda8 945M 718M 180M 80% /home

/dev/hda5 473M 393M 81M 84% /home/james/share

/dev/hda6 908M 663M 246M 73% /home/james/music

/dev/hda1 1.5G 1.5G 34M 98% /mnt/windex

/dev/hda9 155mb swap

all on a puny 6gb hdd....

# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda3 9.7G 3.4G 5.9G 37% /

/dev/hda2 99M 6.3M 88M 7% /boot

/dev/hda7 5.0G 97M 4.9G 2% /mnt/share

/dev/hda5 3.9G 473M 3.2G 13% /home

none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/hda1 8.7G 5.6G 3.2G 65% /mnt/windows

For a simple desktop machine I'm not convinced theres anything to be gained by extensive partitioning schemes - except the all important geek points I guess....

I go with tyme on Mandrake

since the upgrade doesn't work the reasons to have seperate directories are limited.

My present one is a bit complex becuase its multi-distro but like tyme I instead use a /share

Things like tmp etc. are good to be on a seperate disk becuase then you can write to it while reading from the other but just using a seperate partition doesn't have that many advantages.

Its neater, easier to backup on one side but wastes space ... and more complex to set-up.

The default mandrake install options (if you let it take over the disk) are one way which is perfectly valid but for most home users a single partition might be easier.

My router/web server/nfs/etc. which i reconfigured with RAID two nights ago has a /boot and / ONLY. No swap since a GIG of RAM is adequate for what I need!

The /boot is seperate only because I had doubts about having it on a metadevice and played safe.