guarddog install

chin808

Hi Guys

Im a super n00b with linux as I have only been using my mandy 9.2 for about 5 days now (loving it) I have been reading alot of posts on here about firewalling and decided to give gaurddog a go. When I try and use the rpm I get this message:

Some package requested cannot be installed:

guarddog-2.2.0-2mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied iptables)

do you agree ?

So whats the story with iptables? Should I run the setup from command line? I read the readme that came with the tar file but Im not sure I have all the right kdelib's / headers/ etc. And quite honestly I dont know where to get them- I didnt find them in the package browser. Im really not comfortable in the konsole but I can follow directions ;) Any help would be MUCH appreiciated

peace

-C

rpm is the hard way of doing things. use urpmi. it fetches dependancies so that if something is missing, such as in your case, it fetches it and then installs the packages in the appropriate order. if your worried about iptables from 9.1 not working with 9.2, use urpmi. http://www.urpmi.org/en/index.php for help on urpmi.

rpm is the hard way of doing things. use urpmi. it fetches dependancies so that if something is missing, such as in your case, it fetches it and then installs the packages in the appropriate order.  if your worried about iptables from 9.1 not working with 9.2, use urpmi. http://www.urpmi.org/en/index.php for help on urpmi.

Thats great- I appreiciate the link- it seems to have installed ok from the rpm, but I got a message about overwriting a file- something like firewall.gl I forgot it really. I allowed what I wanted to pass through and did a check on pcflank which gave me the same results as before I installed GD... I dunno, Im reading the help file now, maybe I can get it sorted.

-C

When you set your protocols for things such as ftp and whatnot there will be an open port or one waiting for permission. If you chose to deny service when you set your protocols for something it will completly block a port that is known to use that service. If your super paranoid you can go full stealth but you'll find alot of things blocked as per se if you do online banking and such. But that's just my take on it I'm a bit of a noob myself.

Good choice with guarddog too. thats a great problem. easy to configure, but still allows you really customize your firewall.

On the issue of using the 9.1 rpms, with 9.2, just keep in mind that linux is ever evolving. The newer version of guarddog was probably meant for the newest version of iptables. It may work, but I know I always like having the latest and greatest. After you get urpmi set up (a must do with mandrake), you can always update the both of them.

Good choice with guarddog too.  thats a great problem.  easy to configure, but still allows you really customize your firewall.

On the issue of using the 9.1 rpms, with 9.2, just keep in mind that linux is ever evolving.  The newer version of guarddog was probably meant for the newest version of iptables.  It may work, but I know I always like having the latest and greatest.  After you get urpmi set up (a must do with mandrake), you can always update the both of them.

Hey thanx EZ Wiould you mind having a look at my last post in this forum and maybe advise... I just got urpmi setup proper so Im thinking I should reload guarddog. Also Im finding better test results now that I got shorewall running throuigh the mandrake firewall.

Btw... are you into dnb? EZrollers are great producers ;)

• 5 months later...

I used to use Guarddog but as soon as I get my mdk10official system configured now that it's actually installed, I'm going to try Firestarter instead. Anyone have any comments on Firestarter? Here are some of the features of it quoted from the link above:

"* Easy to use wizard customizes firewall to your needs.

* Real-time firewall hit monitor shows intrusion attempts.

* Open and close ports, shaping your firewalling with a few mouse clicks.

* Set up NAT or port forwarding for your home or company LAN.

* User friendly graphical interface optimized for GNOME 2.

* Translated into over 25 languages.

* Advanced kernel tuning features.

* Supports Linux kernel versions 2.6 and 2.4."