DVD-drives mount 3 times

Akai

I bought 9.2 official release (DVD) hoping, that it would resolve the annoying delay that was present in 9.2RC2: when clicking on mnt directory, the PC starts accessing my DVD-burner and DVD-ROM drive three times in the row. Shouldn't it find out if there are disks inserted or not with only one access?

I appreciate any advice on how to correct this (a change in some parameter in some config file?). Of maybe it is a feature?

Part of the bug with scsi emulation (that is required for cd burning) I think. Since there are total maximum of scsi devices with one scsi card, the scsi emulation think that there are 7 cdrws instead of one.

Hey, as long as the cdburning and dvd viewing works.. I don't care :P

Anyway, to answer the original thread, I am not a supermount expert, but I think that is more of a feature than a bug. Linux by default doesn't mount removable drives automatically, so supermount patch try to determine whether there is a disk in your removable drive by trying to mount it three times. After three times trying to mount without success, then it will state that there is no disk in there and then stop trying to mount the non-existant disk.

Hey, as long as it works, right? :P

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, to answer the original thread, I am not a supermount expert, but I think that is more of a feature than a bug. Linux by default doesn't mount removable drives automatically, so supermount patch try to determine whether there is a disk in your removable drive by trying to mount it three times. After three times trying to mount without success, then it will state that there is no disk in there and then stop trying to mount the non-existant disk.

Hey, as long as it works, right? :P

No, it's not OK. It is most irritating, when one navigates back and forth between Windows partitions and Linux. Every time as you navigate to /mount directory, it starts this 30sec scan. I would accept it, if it made it only once. To me this is a flaw and should be fixed.

Re; accessing your windows partition

I find that I most often need to access my windows desktop so I've symlinked /win-desktop to the appropriate place so I can reach it much quicker. Something like this would also mean that you don't have to navigate through /mnt/

supermount has always been buggy, just turn it off!!

Well.. then disable supermount. You can do this by typing this command as root

supermount -i disable

Note that after this, you have to manually mount and umount your removable drive (cdrom, floppy,etc). You can create icons in whatever desktop environment you use to make it easier.

Since you say that the problem only start when you access your /mnt directory, why don't you edit your /etc/fstab line so that your windows partition uses a directory in places other than the /mnt heirarchy? I use /windows for my winXP partition, /win2k for my windows2000 partition, /data for my fat32 partition, ... well you get the idea. That way, whenever you access your windows partition with supermount enabled, you don't have the 30 second scan.

• 2 weeks later...