K3B Remove or ???

Pepse

OK, first of all I tried to do a search on this Forum for K3B and remove K3B, and got an error of (1) less than 4 digits, and (2) something like maybe I don't know how to use "search". OK, fine, I'll post the situation. Being that you (or is it just me) can't copy audio CD's in K3b I am thinking about upgrading from 0.8.1-3mdk to 0.10.x in hopes that with the upgrade I will be able to copy audio cd's. And just so you know in K3B I am suppose to drag and drop the files from the read ROM to the center area and the files won't drop after I drag. But I have no problems copying data cd's or pictures from my PIX folder. Of course I don't have much luck with trying to copy audio cd's with XCDroast, either. Apparently copying audio CD's in Linux is something they haven't figured out legally how to do. Anyway, my main point is I want to upgrade to the K3B in hopes it might have audio copying capabilities, so do I remove the 0.8.1 rpm before I download/install the new 0.10?? Or doesn't it matter??

Pepse.

I have MDK 9.1, and a LG CDR/RW and a LG DVD reader/CDROM.

I was trying to upgrade k3b to a newer 10 version today, but one of the rpm's wanted some strange file, and the others wanted to install a bunch of devel packages, that should not even be needed. You may need to install a 9 version instead, which should work much better than your other version anyway.

It shouldn't be needed to uninstall the old one first. The newer one will replace the older one... unless you try and install one of those cvs versions. I noticed these don't recognize any installed versions and will install another copy of k3b on your system, leaving the other untouched.

If you install using rpmdrake and have the maximum selection ticked, it will tell you what version is or not installed for the package you select.

If you install using konsole and rpm, there are options to install or upgrade, such as:

rpm -ivh
or
rpm -Uvh

and if you use urpmi, I think it figures everything out for you

I found k3b rpms made by texstar (among other rpms such as gaim and screenshots of his next project) in this page

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...b/texstar/temp/

I tested it and it works with 9.2

However, since you are using 9.1, I think the best thing is just to add texstar repository and just upgrade k3b via urpmi. It worked for me in 9.1.

You don't copy audio cd's with drag and drop, you select copy cd from one of the menus.

And no, there is nothing illegal about copying an audio cd, so no need to hide things to do that.

Usually though it is better to rip the cd (I prefer grip for that, but k3b can do that) to some folder on the hd, which incidentally also allows for compression to mp3 and leaving the compressed audio on the drive so I won't have to go for the cd anymore (this too can be done with k3b I think, not sure though).

I tried to install that texstar package in 9.2, but it wanted too much extra stuff.

[root@localhost rpms]# rpm -ivh k3b-0.10.2-1tex.i586.rpm
Failed dependencies:
       libid3-3.8.so.3 is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libart_lgpl_2) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libaudio) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libDCOP) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libfam) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libjpeg) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libkdecore) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libkdefx) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libkdesu) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libkdeui) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libkio) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libmng) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libpng) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libqt-mt) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex
       devel(libstdc++) is needed by k3b-0.10.2-1tex

ADDED: PS: I realize I could probably run rpm -ivh --nodeps to get past this, but I rather not. What I need more than this is the newer cdrdao with ATAPI support --- which would allow CD to CD copying without having to emulated SCSI.

Having a similar problem, no need to post a new thread. I"m on ML 9.1 + KDE3.1 and i try to install 0.10.2 from source ( no other version is installed). When i ./configure i got the following:

"checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!"

...and it stops, what does this mean?

A 3-in-1 reply:

Pepse, How we making out with your upgrade?

VILLA21, I find when sources don't want to compile, you usually need to install those kernel-sources rpm (that match your running kernel). Do you have this installed? If kernel-sources is installed, the next thing I look for is a missing application, such as make.

Gnubie, I would uninstall that one and go back and install the one from your 9.1 discs. Don't forget you need the libk3b file too. These seem to be missing from all the .10 versions I have seen. Maybe this is our problem with .10 ?

DragonMage, which texstar rpm did you install? I found a couple and had some luck with the one. I now have a version 10 installed and working. Here's what I had to do. Remember that I am using the 9.2 "torrent" download edition.

Grab these rpms from: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...drake/9.1/rpms/

k3b-0.10-2tex

libid3lib3.8_2-3.8.2-2mdk

Have your install CD 1 handy for:

liblcms1-1.10-1mdk

First time through this (using rpmdrake - install software) I got the following message:

There was a problem during the installation:

file /usr/lib/libk3bcore.la from install of k3b-0.10-2tex conflicts with file from package libk3b1-0.9-10mdk

So I did have to first remove the older k3b-0.9-10mdk version. I think that was a first here. Also note, that with this version .10, I did not need a libk3b1 rpm like before.

OK, first of all I tried to do a search on this Forum for K3B and remove K3B, and got an error of (1) less than 4 digits, and (2) something like maybe I don't know how to use "search".  OK, fine, I'll post the situation.    Being that you (or is it just me) can't copy audio CD's in K3b I am thinking about upgrading from 0.8.1-3mdk to 0.10.x in hopes that with the upgrade I will be able to copy audio cd's. 

To copy audio CDs you have to create a "New Audio CD Project"

And just so you know in K3B I am suppose to drag and drop the files from the read ROM to the center area and the files won't drop after I drag.  But I have no problems copying data cd's or pictures from my PIX folder.  Of course I don't have much luck with trying to copy audio cd's with XCDroast, either.  Apparently copying audio CD's in Linux is something they haven't figured out legally how to do.

IT has been figured out and legally too :D

Anyway, my main point is I want to upgrade to the K3B in hopes it might have audio copying capabilities, so do I remove the 0.8.1 rpm before I download/install the new 0.10??  Or doesn't it matter??
but if you must remove the rpm
urpme k3b

is all that you need to do as root. or use rpmdrake-remove and search for k3b and remove it that way.

BTW if you want to do direct CD to CD copies most burners require that you have scsi emulation turned on for both the burner and the CD/DVD-rom

DragonMage, which texstar rpm did you install? I found a couple and had some luck with the one. I now have a version 10 installed and working. Here's what I had to do. Remember that I am using the 9.2 "torrent" download edition.

Grab these rpms from: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...drake/9.1/rpms/

k3b-0.10-2tex

libid3lib3.8_2-3.8.2-2mdk

Have your install CD 1 handy for:

liblcms1-1.10-1mdk

First time through this (using rpmdrake - install software) I got the following message:

There was a problem during the installation:

file /usr/lib/libk3bcore.la from install of k3b-0.10-2tex conflicts with file from package libk3b1-0.9-10mdk

So I did have to first remove the older k3b-0.9-10mdk version. I think that was a first here. Also note, that with this version .10, I did not need a libk3b1 rpm like before.

This one

k3b-0.10.2-1tex.i586.rpm

However, I checked back to that page and it disappeared from that place. Oh well..

I think texstar 9.1 rpms also works well in 9.2 since it doesn't require full kde upgrade or something.