Installing Eclipse : Conflicts/Dependencies

paCkeTroUTer

I have ftp://ftp.pbone.net/pub/jpackage/1.5/mandrake-9.1/free added to my software source list and through RPMdrake I looked to install eclipse. It picked up all the required rpm's from the server and downloaded them. Upon installation, it gave me the conflicts error as shown in the image below. I tried searching for those packages(looked for first few and then gave up) but was not sucessfull in finding them.

Could someone advise me where I can get the listed packages shown in the error message ? Thanks

eclipse_conflicts.png

I was going to try to install it myself to see what your problems are, but I had to go to rpmfind.net and download each dependency as I saw it. I got stuck when I needed to install javamail, but then again, I don't have the Sun Java package installed, I have Blackdown, so that may be the problem.

This is as far as I've gotten. I know you need javamail:

http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/index.html

From what I can see, it doesn't install, you have to add it to your classpath (Read the readme...the Solaris instructions) and then you'll need (all these I was able to get from rpmfind.net):

antlr-2.7.2-2jpp.noarch.rpm

jdepend-2.6-2jpp.noarch.rpm

bcel-5.1-1jpp.noarch.rpm

log4j-1.2.8-7jpp.noarch.rpm

lucene-1.2-2jpp.noarch.rpm

ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch.rpm

ant-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch.rpm

xerces-j2-2.4.0-3jpp.noarch.rpm

servletapi4-4.0.4-3jpp.noarch.rpm

regexp-1.3-1jpp.noarch.rpm

jakarta-commons-logging-1.0.3-4jpp.noarch.rpm

xml-commons-1.0-0.b2.6jpp.noarch.rpm

xml-commons-apis-1.0-0.b2.6jpp.noarch.rpm

jpackage-utils-1.5.27-1jpp.noarch.rpm

That's as far as I got. This page may help you to know what order to install evrything in and what to look for:

http://www.musicae.ath.cx/linux/redhat.html

It's written in Japanese (or Chinese...I can't tell), so I can't really read it, but I see a lot of the same packages needed for what they are doing). If you don't find the package you need at rpmfind.net, then go to http://google.com/linux This looks like tons of fun to get installed. Good luck.

The best thing to do for this is not try to use the gui, but go to a console and su to root

su [hit enter]

[type in your root password]

and then make a special directory to download everything you need and then cd to that directory (after dowloading the stuff, of course):

mkdir eclipse-install-stuff

[download stuff here]

cd eclipse-install-stuff

and try to urpmi each thing and it will tell you what you need as you go. Here's an example excerpt from my attempts:

[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi eclipse-sdk    
Some package requested cannot be installed:
eclipse-gtk2-2.1.0-2jpp.i686 (due to missing eclipse-platform-2.1.0-2jpp.i686)
eclipse-platform-2.1.0-2jpp.i686 (due to unsatisfied ant-optional)
eclipse-sdk-2.1.0-2jpp.i686 (due to missing eclipse-platform-2.1.0-2jpp.i686) (Y/n) 
[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi eclipse-platform
eclipse-platform-2.1.0-2jpp.i686 (due to unsatisfied ant-optional) (Y/n) 
[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch.rpm 
ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch (due to unsatisfied junit) (Y/n) 

[went to rpmfind.net to find junit and downloaded it to this directory]

[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi junit-3.8.1-3jpp.noarch.rpm 
The following packages have bad signatures:
junit-3.8.1-3jpp.noarch.rpm: Invalid signature ((SHA1) DSA sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#c431416d NOT OK)
Do you want to continue installation ? (y/N) y
installing junit-3.8.1-3jpp.noarch.rpm
Preparing...                ##################################################
  1:junit                  ##################################################
ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch (due to unsatisfied oro) (Y/n) 

[went to rpmfind.net to find oro and downloaded it here]

[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi oro-2.0.7-1jpp.noarch.rpm 
oro-2.0.7-1jpp.noarch.rpm: Invalid signature (sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#c431416d NOT OK)
installing oro-2.0.7-1jpp.noarch.rpm
    1:oro                    ##################################################
ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch (due to unsatisfied jaf[>= 0:1.0.1-5jpp]) (Y/n) 

[went to rpmfind.net to find jaf and downloaded it here]

[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi jaf-1.0.1-3.noarch.rpm 
installing jaf-1.0.1-3.noarch.rpm
      1:jaf                    ##################################################
ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch (due to unsatisfied netcomponents) (Y/n) 

[went to rpmfind.net to get netcomponents and downloaded it here]

[root@omarserenity tmp]# urpmi netcomponents-1.3.8-4jpp.noarch.rpm 
netcomponents-1.3.8-4jpp.noarch.rpm: Invalid signature (sha1 md5 (GPG) (MISSING KEY) GPG#c431416d NOT OK)
installing netcomponents-1.3.8-4jpp.noarch.rpm
1:netcomponents          ##################################################
ant-optional-1.5.4-2jpp.noarch (due to unsatisfied javamail[>= 0:1.2-5jpp]) (Y/n) 
[etc, etc, etc]

Ouchie.. looking at those packages from rpmfind.net, it seems that those packages are only available either for 9.2 or cooker. I think the author of the rpm uses cooker packages while making the rpm. Not even contrib has these rpms for 9.1. Maybe Mandrakeclub has them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Really sorry about this.. maybe a kind soul would donate the rpms for you?

Personally I have never had a problem running eclipse on my computers. I am using Mandrake 9.2 and it runs fine.

However, I downloaded it from the eclipse.org website and not from jpackage or rpmfind.net. Since it is a java program, all you really needed is java 1.4.2 installed properly on your computer and it should run. That is the SDK version and not the jre version.

All I did was to untar the GTK version of eclipse into my home directory and start the program. It does have one little quirk if you do it this way though, you must issue the 'eclipse' start command from outside the eclipse directory.

i.e. from your home directory run

> eclipse/eclipse

and it should run.

oh my goodness.. all this trouble to install one application ? Me from Windows background and getting scared at the site of all this trouble. But I appreciate your response. Someone smart enough give me some more advise on which direction I should take... keep downloading the rpm's or get the gtk version from elcipse website.

I initially thought I would try downloading from eclipse website but there are too many packages to pick from(I didn't know which to pick) so I didn't dare go that direction. Thats when I found there are rpm's available but there you go DEPENDENCIES !

to Steve Scrimpshire, Appreciate all your help mate.... as fuzzylizard said, I also have Java SDK installed. So should I take his direction ? or are you kind enough ;) to stick with my problems with the rpm install. :)

to Steve Scrimpshire, Appreciate all your help mate.... as fuzzylizard said, I also have Java SDK installed. So should I take his direction ? or are you kind enough ;) to stick with my problems with the rpm install. :)

Skip the rpm's and just down this package...

http://download2.eclipse.org/downloads/dro...1-linux-gtk.zip

Clicking that link should start the download of the newest stable gtk version of eclipse. Once downloaded, move it into your home directory and either use ARK to unzip the file or type this into a konsole window

> unzip eclipse-SDK-2.1.1-linux-gtk.zip

then, from a konsole window, type in

> eclipse/eclipse

and everything should work

i have no problems on the eclipse installation but i cannot view the help/tutorial pages. in windows it pops out a eclipse-style navigation windows (similar to windows help) but in linux it opens mozilla (i dont know why but i havent set mozilla as my default browser) and then mozilla gives out an error that it cant find google.

anybody here can shed some light on this? i would hate going to windows to learn how to use eclipse. :(

ciao!

I would just download the other package.

(1) You can be in the same directory as the eclipse binary to run it, you just have to do it this way:

./eclipse

(It's a security feature of linux)

(2) You have to include the path to java_vm in your path before eclipse will work. You can do this 2 ways:

(a) By adding this in /etc/profile:

if ! echo ${JAVAPATH} |grep -q  /usr/java/jre/bin; then
   export JAVAPATH="/usr/java/jre/bin"
fi

(b) Making a symlink to it in /usr/bin:

ln -s /usr/java/jre/bin/java_vm /usr/bin/java_vm

Of course if java_vm is located somewhere else for you, you'll have to change it.

(3) You can add the location of eclipse to your path to make it easier, too, but adding this to /etc/profile:

if ! echo ${PATH} |grep -q  /home/omar/tmp/eclipse; then
   export PATH="$PATH:/home/omar/tmp/eclipse"
fi

(1) You can be in the same directory as the eclipse binary to run it, you just have to do it this way:

./eclipse

(It's a security feature of linux)

Yea, I always get this error that eclipse can't find a certain package whenever I do that. Whereas, when I start it up from outside the directory, everything works fine.

ok I downloaded the package, unzipped and moved it to my programmes folder and executed the eclipse file. It tries starting up but then errors with the following message as shown in the pic. The output from the shell prompt looks like this.

[quilon@localhost eclipse]$ ./eclipse
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Unsupported or unrecognized format
       at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2332)
       at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2262)
       at org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.FileFormat.load(FileFormat.java:73)
       at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageLoader.load(ImageLoader.java:124)
       at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageData.<init>(ImageData.java:311)
       at org.eclipse.jface.resource.URLImageDescriptor.getImageData(URLImageDescriptor.java:51)
       at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:118)
       at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:94)
       at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:83)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ImageCache.getImage(ActionContributionItem.java:117)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.updateImages(ActionContributionItem.java:719)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.update(ActionContributionItem.java:596)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.fill(ActionContributionItem.java:302)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.MenuManager.update(MenuManager.java:555)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.MenuManager.update(MenuManager.java:456)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.MenuManager.fill(MenuManager.java:209)
       at org.eclipse.jface.action.MenuManager.createMenuBar(MenuManager.java:146)
       at org.eclipse.jface.window.ApplicationWindow.configureShell(ApplicationWindow.java:244)
       at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.configureShell(WorkbenchWindow.java:578)
       at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.createShell(Window.java:350)
       at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:301)
       at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.openFirstTimeWindow(Workbench.java:1068)
       at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.init(Workbench.java:874)
       at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1373)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
       at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
       at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
       at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
       at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
       at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
       at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)
[quilon@localhost eclipse]$

and looking at the log file in the workspace/.metadata/.log the contents:

!SESSION ----------------------------------------------------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.launcher 4 0 Nov 02, 2003 03:10:58.376
!MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform:
!STACK
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:861)
at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
... 7 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Unsupported or unrecognized format
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2332)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:2262)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.image.FileFormat.load(FileFormat.java:73)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageLoader.load(ImageLoader.java:124)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.ImageData.<init>(ImageData.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.URLImageDescriptor.getImageData(URLImageDescriptor.java:51)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:118)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:94)
at org.eclipse.jface.resource.ImageDescriptor.createImage(ImageDescriptor.java:83)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ImageCache.getImage(ActionContributionItem.java:117)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.updateImages(ActionContributionItem.java:719)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.update(ActionContributionItem.java:596)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.fill(ActionContributionItem.java:302)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.MenuManager.fill(MenuManager.java:209)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.MenuManager.createMenuBar(MenuManager.java:146)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.ApplicationWindow.configureShell(ApplicationWindow.java:244)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.configureShell(WorkbenchWindow.java:578)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.createShell(Window.java:350)
at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:301)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.openFirstTimeWindow(Workbench.java:1068)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.init(Workbench.java:874)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1373)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
... 8 more

post-10-1067704851.ibf

Solved it ! Thanks to google: http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/p...r1=1.59&r2=1.54

Q: Why do I get an error beginning with "...SWTException: Unsupported or unrecognized format" on startup?

A: There is a bug in the Konqueror decompressor which causes Eclipse to not be extracted properly if used. To avoid this the Eclipse archive should first be downloaded to your machine and then extracted using unzip at the command line.

:) :)