Devices don't mount anymore after kernel install

Earny

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... I'm not sure I can help, but I know we'll need to know what kernel you installed?

Can you tell us:

1) which specific kernel you installed ?

2) how you did it? (i.e. what command did you use? urpmi, rpm -Uvh, install software, etc.)

3) did you edit /etc/lilo.conf? and then run the lilo -v command before restarting?

with the answers to these questions, the veterans will be more able to help! (I'm just a rookie...you may need a veteran for this one) :)

For future reference, you should not update the kernel using Mandrake Control Center's tools.

I do not understand why they don't disable that ability as it can cause problems. Hang on and let's let some of the more experienced guys help us out a bit.

I think we can get you going but will take some fixing.

The kernel rpm should be something like:

9.2/RPMS/kernel-2.4.22.21mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

When you say marcelo is that the mirror or update site you used?

EDIT: Looks like this is a cooker kernel or did you get it from kernel.org?

http://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/coo....2mdk.i586.html

No it was on the install disk. If you use the control centre/software and you search for kernel, the marcelo kernel file is one of the options. As an outright Linux igorant I guessed that this would be ok. I wanted to install the kernel as it was missing in the usr/scr directory. I need it in order to install the Wacom Graphire driver. (In Knoppix it works without doing anything, so why not in Mandrake?)

Sorry for delay... I am in SE Asia and I think you are in Europe, right? So we have a big time gap between us. I am just waking up here.

Yes, the MCC thing needs to be able to block you from doing a kernel upgrade or be fixed to do the kernel upgrade properly. What a pain!

We still need some of the more experienced bunch to help us out. I am not sure I know enough to help you.

I "think" the kernel you used is a special patched version and it is likely the modules you need are now included in the new 9.2 upgrade kernel that was just released.

I "think" the problem you have now is that by doing a kernel upgrade via MCC, it did not properly edit /etc/lilo.conf and run it so now it is a bit "lost" and doesn't load the modules you need. But this is new territory for me so I'd feel better if one of the people with more kernel and linux experience than I have would help too. :wink:

It would help if you could post your /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab files.

Calling on the vets for some more experienced help here??? Anyone?

:unsure:

Earny,

I got your earlier reply to the new thread on this new board... Sorry, but looks like the posts we both made today got lost in the update...

Before the post got lost, I replied to you and said I agreed that the reinstall was probably the easiest fix. Here's some more info for you:

The file you referred to is

file:/usr/src/linux

not /usr/scr/linux and contains the kernel source and info. If that's all you need, then just install the kernel-source and kernel-doc that match the kernel you are running. At a command line type

$ uname -r

to check your kernel version then install the same kernel-source and kernel-doc rpm's. It is perfectly safe to install kernel-doc and kernel-source rpms from the MCC Install Software gui. Then you can use the kernel-source and kernel-doc to compile the software you need for your Wacom.

If you add another kernel by upgrading (remember do not use MCC or Install Software for installing the main kernel) it will make an additional file in that directory. My 9.1 has this

file:/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk

after I upgraded it to the latest kernel. You can look there to see some files about what modules and drivers are in the kernel already.

Hope the move doesn't mess up this reply too. I'm confident the mods and admins will get things running smoothly very soon.

:)

Hmmm

Need some details but In the meantime Ill explain the process.

when the kernel is comiled it also compiles the 'optional' components that can be added and taken out of a running kernel.

These are called modules....

Now each module is compiled for the kernel it is compiled with...

In brief (and not 100% accurate but close enough) the kernel has symbols (hooks)which are available to the modules to interact with.

Lets say in one kernel you had a device supported directly by the kernel.

You MUST do this for instance with any device that is needed to boot becuase you can't load a module until the kernel is loaded!!!

These modules are built on top of each other....

Lets say you have a CD writer....

The CD writer is IDE but Linux doesn't support IDe cd writing.

What it does it emulate SCSI ...

So in your kernel you have IDE support. (to boot from your disk)

and you have at least one filesystem ... (or you can't read the partition at boot time)

When it boots it tells the kernel to load a module (called ide-scsi)

BUT this module depends on the kernel NOT having ide-scsi emulation built in.... YOu can't have it in the kernel AND as a module.

When you load IDE-SCSI it then loads another module becuase this module depends on the other one. Lets say that modules is scd (I can't remember the name )

This module provides scsi CD support.

So now the first module makes the CD writer behave as a SCSI CD writer...

The second module provides scsi control for that Cd writer.

Then you wanna write to the CD....

This means you have to write a ISO9660 file system becuase that is what CD's use.

This is another module....

IT depends on the scd and the scd depends on ide-scsi and ide-scsi depends on the kernel.

In effect a loaded module becomes a part of the kernel.....

This means it has to be VERY COMPATIBLE.

If you change some options on the kernel and recompile then the old modules might not work becuase the symbols they expect are not available.

In many cases the module might still work but if you change the name of the kernel the module thinks its another kernel.

Take a kernel and compile it (setting options in the makefile to be called my-kernel-my-version) (This would be bad practice because it doesn't tell you the kernel version ) Install it and install the modules with make modules_install

Now, change NOTHING except the name of the kernel....in the make file.

Make it

linux-2.4.21

Now if you recompile this kernel and made NO OITHER changes then the symbols are identical... BUT the old modules are in a directory called /lib/modules/my-kernel-my-version

and the new kernel is looking for its modules in /lib/modules/linux-2.4.21

Now if you copy these modules from lib/modules/my-kernel-my-version

TO /lib/modules/linux-2.4.21 they will probably work.

Its not good practice becuase the modules have the kernel they were compiled for embedded in them (including the name) If you say

modinfo <modulename> (missing out the .o or .o.gz)

It will tell you which klernel it was compiled for.

Hopefully this makes some sense....

Now

Knowing this can you see why we need that detailed info....

(I always prefer to explain WHY... instead of just saying I can't help unless you give me x,y,z info :wink:)

Gowater,

Thanks for the pointers! Good tutorial! :)

Some of this got lost as Earny and I had posted a few times on the new board earlier today. When they finished updating and moving the last two week's messages to this site, our new messages/thread were lost.

Not totally sure, but seems that the install of a new kernel from MCC was to enable a Wacom device and was prompted because there was no /usr/src/linux in the directory tree. I think the attempt to install this kernel was that Earny didn't think a kernel was installed since instructions probably said that some needed files would be in /usr/src/linux.

Not sure yet if Earny needs to compile anything or not... need more info to know.

Anyhow, after Earny reinstalled 9.2 things work for now. We'll tackle it later when we get more info. I think all that is needed now is to get the driver for the Wacom working after Earny gives more details on what is needed.

Earny: I looked at the drivers on the wacom site, and also found the modules for the Wacom are in my 9.1 kernel so I am guessing they are in the 9.2 version as well. It may just be a USB problem that needs resolved. Did you install mandrake 9.2 with the Wacom plugged in and turned on? If not, it might not be detecting it properly.

You might try plugging the Wacom in and booting with it turned on to see if Harddrake and USB hotplug auto detect it. Are you following the how to at :Wacom HOW TO link ?

BTW you can install a kernel using RPMDrake and urpmi, urpmi knows not to upgrade kernels but to install them side by side (check the /etc.urpmiinst.list file), and it does update lilo configs.

you should see extra entries in your lilo menu after you install a new kernel.

as for the marcello kernel, this is the stock kernel without any extra patches by mandrake.

I would recommend you stick to the plain kernel provided by Mandrake (but you'd better upgrade the kernel).

as for /usr/src I think you're trying to find the kernel sources which is installed by the package kernel-source

so make sure you have an update source defined, connect to the internet and run

urpmi kernel-2.4.22.21mdk

reboot your computer (2.4.22-21mdk should now be your default kernel)

run

urpmi kernel-source

and you'll find the kernel sources in /usr/src/linux

cheers,

Alaa

Good points alaa!

Earny,

Hope we don't confuse you more with all our info! :rolleyes: One thing about gnu/linux is that there are almost always several alternate ways to do things.

If you do the kernel update I strongly suggest you follow the official mandrake instructions at this website: Mandrake Kernel Update instructions... CLICK HERE The writeup on that site is very easy to follow.

To be safe, you need to follow the instructions carefully and edit your /etc/lilo.conf file. You must rerun lilo by typing # lilo -v before you reboot. If you don't do that you might have trouble restarting.

By following Mandrake's instructions, you can choose your original kernel at the lilo boot screen. I actually have three different kernel versions installed on my 9.1 setup and can choose to boot on any of them. B)

Thanks for all the input.

The only thing I try is to get my Wacom tablet installed. The howto made by wacom (or sourceforge) is not very claer.

I tried to update the kernel by following kmacks instructions: as root in the console and connected to the internet I typed 'urpmi kernel-2.4.22.21mdk'

No answer other than 'no package named kernel-2.4.22.21mdk '

From Gowater I learned that at present the drivers are in /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/usb

Do I need to configure the Wacom ./configure script in this directory?

The /usr/src/directory only contains a directory 'RPM' with lots of empty subdirectories.

By the way: I Indeed booted with the tablet connected. In Knoppix it mounts automatically at boot. In Mandrake however not.

:unsure:

Earny,

Sorry I got you confused. I'm doing some reading on the wacom install and will try to get back with you soon. Maybe some of the others can help us too. CLICK FOR WACOM LINK

The instructions on the Wacom and SourceForge site are a bit confusing. The good news (I think) is that the kernel in Mandrake 9.1 already has the modules you need to run the Wacom device. SO you don't have to do all the technical stuff of preparing your kernel to work with the Wacom device... Mandrake did that part. That's good news!

From the Wacom install instructions:

On some distributions, Mandrake included, the wacom.o driver that appears in the kernel modules directory appears to be compressed. If you cannot find wacom.o using the method below, try locating wacom.o.gz instead. People who encountered this problem were able to run gzip on the module and copy that instead.

This is the case on my 9.1 the files are:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ locate wacom.o
/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.25mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/wacom.o.gz
[kelly@localhost kelly]$ locate wacom.c
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.25mdk/drivers/usb/wacom.c

We just need to activate these kernel modules so they can connect with your device. From the instructions it says the correct modules are in the 2.4.21 and higher kernels so 9.2 kernel should be good since it is .22 version.

I'll check back later after I get some things done. Hope this gets us headed in the right direction, but I think we still need a "voice of experience" to assist us.

EDIT: go to Konqueror and type man:wacom in the Location box and see more info... it's there.

One stap further kmack!

This was my result:

[root@localhost earny]# locate wacom.o

/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/wacom.o.gz

[root@localhost earny]# locate wacom.c

[root@localhost earny]#

Obviously the driver files are in a different directory than assumed by

the wacom howto.