Devices don't mount anymore after kernel install

Earny

Earny,

Yes, it is a step in the right direction. GOOD!

The wacom.o file is the kernel module for wacom and the wacom.c is the usb driver that it needs. Funny it didn't find it when you did the locate cmd. You can try $ locate wacom and it should show any file with wacom in the name. That might locate the usb driver part.

It might indicate you still need to install the kernel-source rpm. kernel-source-2.4.22-18mdk.i586.rpm is the file I think you need unless you updated the kernel. Check by doing a $ uname -r which gives your installed and active kernel version.

You'll need to have mandrake 9.2 sources setup as I don't think it is on the cd's. The file is big (40.3MB) so it might take time to download depending on your connection. You can use Mandrake Update to install the kernel-source package without problems.

Or you can download to a directory by itself and

run #urmpi --test -v kernel-source-2.4.22-18mdk.i586.rpm to test if it will install ok. If it says installation possible, then run #urpmi -v kernel-source-2.4.22-18mdk.i586.rpm and it will install it for you.

After you've got the kernel-source installed then see if the usb driver wacom.c is located by the $locate wacom.c command. If it is, then plug in and turn on the wacom device and see if the usb driver activates itself.

Looks like some XFree86 config is needed to, but let's see how far this takes you. I think we are on the right track now.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kmack

I show you what I did

root@localhost earny]# locate wacom

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/wacom_drv.o

/usr/X11R6/man/man4/wacom.4x.bz2

/lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/wacom.o.gz

[root@localhost earny]#

Than I downloaded kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm (2.4.22-18mdk was not available on the mirror I found, so I guess the newest update should be ok) and I installed it using konqueor (works nicely).

[root@localhost earny]# locate wacom.c

[root@localhost earny]#

And in order to prevent booting problems:

[root@localhost earny]#

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda

Using GRAPHIC secondary loader

Calling map_insert_data

Mapping message file /boot/message -> message-graphic

Calling map_insert_file

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk

Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img -> initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img

Added linux *

Boot other: /dev/hda1, on /dev/hda, loader CHAIN

Added windows

Writing boot sector.

/boot/boot.0300 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.

[root@localhost earny]#

??? Where did the new kernel update go?

I'll tell you what:

The old kernel 2.4.22-10mdk is where it always was: in /lib/modules

The new one 2.4.22-21mdk in /usr/src/linux

I wonder whether the new one is used by the system.

Do we get any closer?

Regards

Earny

locate uses slocates database. Since the database wasn't updated after you installed the kernel-source, nothing was found in /usr/src/linux. Slocate is a cron job that's automatically updates the db. To do it manually (as root)

slocate -U /

SEE:slocate --help

You only instaled the source, not a kernel. It was only suppose to go to /usr/src/. To get a kernel from the kernel-source requires compiling the kernel. If you want that kernel, download (cooker)

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Mandrake/coo...1-1mdk.i586.rpm

then as root, cd to its location and do;

rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.22.19mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Shouldn't be necessary though.....if it's in

/lib/modules/running_kernel_version/

loading the module deps, and whatever other configuring that driver requires is all that's needed (usually). I'm not familiar with it to be able to say.

Only one kernel can be used at a time., but many can be installed.

[root@ml root]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk
kernel-2.4.22.19mdk-1-1mdk
kernel-2.4.22.6mdk-1-1mdk
[root@ml root]# uname -r
2.4.22-19mdk
[root@ml root]#

uname -r shows which is running

L don'want to complicate things too much. So I keep the existing kernel intact. I run slocate -U and I found wacom.c in the usb drver directory of the new kernel source. I copied it into the driver directory of the old kernel and I will see what happens after a reboot.

Earny,

Sorry this is such a pain. I think you really should have used the kernel-source rpm that matches your installed kernel. You are running the original 9.2 kernel and that is kernel-2.4.22.10mdk. The kernel-source you installed is newer and while 99% the same, you might have problems with compiling software later.

Need some clarification too. You said,

Than I downloaded kernel-source-2.4.22-21mdk.i586.rpm (2.4.22-18mdk was not available on the mirror I found, so I guess the newest update should be ok) and I installed it using konqueor (works nicely).

How did you install with konqueror? Do you mean you clicked on the kernel-source rpm file and it installed from there? Did it ask for a password?

Not sure about just copying the usb driver as you described. What directory did you copy it into?

I'm a bit concerned with the boot messages you got... sounds like a problem, but that one's a new one to me... let's get bvc or someone else to help us with that. Let's see what some others add to this.

EDIT: Can someone help us on this... the wacom drivers are in the kernel and available, but I don't know enough to help Earny get them loaded right. Won't a #modprobe wacom command do this for the moment so we can test it? Or will the fact that the kernel-source is different from active kernel cause a mis-match error? Any harm in trying? :wall:

Edited by kmack

First make sure which kernel you are running. Type in a console:

uname -r

Is it something like: 2.4.22.10 ??

Then you will need the kernel source which matches this kernel. You'll get exactly this rpm here:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man.../Mandrake/RPMS/

Navigate to: kernel-source-2.4.22-10.mdk.i586.rpm

Uninstall the other kernel-source first.

Install the matching kernel source.

Configure your driver.

Edited by anna

Thanks Anna! Do you use a Wacom device there? I agree the kernel and kernel-source need to match.

After the kernel and kernel-source are matched, I think we can just modprobe it and see if it will load the modules and if the wacom will be detected.

Earny,

After you get the matching kernel-source installed.

As root run # lsmod (that's a small L infront) and post your results. Let's see if the proper modules are loaded or not.

Edited by kmack

kmack - no, I haven't got a wacom, don't even know exactly, what it is. But I tried to read the documentation page for wacom, where they say, you need the kernel-source. I thought I could help here where Earny can find the rpm.

Earny, please read the documentation about setting up your device, STEP by STEP, here:

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/main

When you don't understand one step - post your question here.

I am not sure, but maybe you have to re-run the ./configure, and make, and probing, and installing

again. And I am not sure if you first have to remove the 'old' already copied wacom-files.

Thanks for the help Anna! I think maybe Earny is in Netherlands too, right? :-)

Wacom Graphire is a graphic tablet for illustration/art work. They are pretty cool and can do quite a bit. You would probably like one for the graphic work you do too! :)

If I read the HOW TO correctly, the current kernel includes the correct modules. They said,

Additionally, this fix will appear in 2.4.20, so until you upgrade your kernel to that point, each time you upgrade to a version less than that, you will need to recompile this driver and swap it for the old one. In many cases, distributions like Redhat will "back-port" the fixes to older kernels, so keep an eye out for the change. Your driver may already be fixed.

So unless something is wrong, the kernel modules in 9.2 are 2.4.22+ so they should include the modules. I do not think you have to compile the modules and install them... that is GOOD NEWS because that is the hardest part and the most confusing. I'd advise trying them first since they already exist. If they do not work, then we'll have to compile and replace the ones in the kernel now.

So we can go right to the install part I think. To test, we just need to modprobe wacom to load temporarily to test it. Then the modules have to be set to load on startup once we confirm the modules work. That's pretty simple to do.

I tested # modprobe wacom on my 9.1 install with 2.4.21-0.25 kernel and it loads the wacom module just fine and I can see it by checking # lsmod | grep wacom.

I hope you don't laugh at me, kmack and Earny.

On my system (no tablet or whatever attached), MDK 9.2, the wacom modules come with a default install. Doing # modprobe wacom and then # lsmod

show me that they are loaded.

So, I don't get why Earny is trying to install additional drivers, kernel, kernel-sources?

And thanks for the tablet-explanation, I understand now - it looks indeed very nice!

Anna,

I'd never laugh! One of the biggest problems is most gnu/linux documentation (like the Wacom HOW TO) assumes a level of linux knowledge that is higher than most new users have achieved. So they leave out steps and don't explain things clearly. It makes sense if you have experience, but leaves us newbies confused. :(

The wacom HOW TO makes it sound like you _must_ compile the kernel modules because when they were written, it was true. The one little paragraph I quoted is easy to overlook as the focus is on the compiling of the modules to replace modules that did not work. Oh well... This is how we all learn linux, right? :wall: Trial and error is a good teacher but sometimes it hurts and takes a lot of time.

Bedtime here... hope you all have a good day. I'll check the progress report in the morning. :thumbs:

Don't give up Earny! :)

So, I don't get why Earny is trying to install additional drivers, kernel, kernel-sources?
Shouldn't be necessary though.....if it's in

/lib/modules/running_kernel_version/

loading the module deps, and whatever other configuring that driver requires is all that's needed (usually).

matching kernel-source?

[root@ml root]# rpm -qa | grep kernel<!--QuoteEBegin-->kernel-source-2.4.22-10mdk<!--QuoteEBegin-->kernel-2.4.22.19mdk-1-1mdk<!--QuoteEBegin-->kernel-2.4.22.6mdk-1-1mdk<!--QuoteEBegin-->[root@ml root]# uname -r<!--QuoteEBegin-->2.4.22-19mdk<!--QuoteEBegin-->[root@ml root]#

I compiled NVIDIA for 2.4.22-19 with kernel-source-2.4.22-10.

NOTE: 2.4.22 for both. That's matching. True, you want to get as close as possible though.

Not much help in the source

[root@ml root]# grep -ir "wacom" /usr/src/linux/Documentation/*
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:Wacom Intuos/Graphire tablet support
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:CONFIG_USB_WACOM
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:  Say Y here if you want to use the USB version of the Wacom Intuos
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:  The module will be called wacom.o.  If you want to compile it as a
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:# LocalWords:  MADGEMC madgemc TokenRing SMCTR TokenCard smctr Wacom Graphire
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:# LocalWords:  CHDLC UPS's usbmouse wacom wmforce keybdev joydev fibre Trunking
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/input.txt:3.1.4 wacom.c
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/input.txt:  This is a driver for Wacom Graphire and Intuos tablets. Not for Wacom
[root@ml root]#

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/input/input.txt

3.1.4 wacom.c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a driver for Wacom Graphire and Intuos tablets. Not for Wacom

PenPartner, that one is handled by the HID driver. Although the Intuos and

Graphire tablets claim that they are HID tablets as well, they are not and

thus need this specific driver.

According to

/lib/modules/2.4.22-19/modules.dep

/lib/modules/2.4.22-19mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/wacom.o.gz:	/lib/modules/2.4.22-19mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/usbcore.o.gz \
/lib/modules/2.4.22-19mdk/kernel/drivers/input/input.o.gz

revealing that

wacom

usbcore

input

all have to be loaded in order for it to work. So, just like above, put

wacom

usbcore

input

in /etc/modules (not modules.conf), and reboot (not really necessary but easiest). After reboot, do

lsmod (as root) and see if at least all three are loaded.

bvc,

Thanks for some confirmation on this! Greatly appreciated.

So Earny you are probably OK with the kernel-source you installed. Let's give it a go.

Just follow these instructions:

all have to be loaded in order for it to work. So, just like above, put

wacom

usbcore

input

in /etc/modules (not modules.conf), and reboot (not really necessary but easiest). After reboot, do

lsmod (as root) and see if at least all three are loaded.

Which means you have to add a line for each of the three; wacom, usbcore, input to the file /etc/modules If you are not sure how to do that, ask and one of us can give you step by step instructions on how to edit the file and add those lines. You'll have to be root to do this by the way.

Thanks a lot you all. But give me a short break to absorb all this info. I just spent some time for other matters (work, family, I presume you are familiar with these things) and after that it looks like half the Linix community is trying to solve my little problem. Great feeling.

You'll hear from me. I don't give up easily. :wall:

The more I get involved in this, the more I find out how little I know about Linux. Can anyone recommend a good book about Linux that brings me step by step on an appropriate level. I mean a book that doesn't assume extensive knowledge right from the start. The one I bought was too simple and it doesn't go much further than finding files and how to edit them. What I find on the net is unreadable.

regards

Earny

OK step by step:

First Kmack's questions:

Yes I just double clicked on the rpm's using konqueror file manager as a root (Anna taught me that before)

Because I used it as root, it didn't ask for my password

I copied the file "wacom.c" in the directory /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/usb

Don be concerned about my boot message. My machine behaves as it should

Now it's Anna turn

the Kernel I'm using is 2.4.22-10mdk

I uninstalled the kernel source 2.4.22-21mdk

I download kernel-source-2.4.22-10.mdk.i586.rpm

I installed it

Configure your driver: ok but how? Maybe Kamck's next advise may help

I run lsmod. Here are the results:

Module Size Used by Not tainted

parport_pc 25544 1 (autoclean)

lp 8160 0 (autoclean)

parport 34472 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

ipt_TOS 1592 12 (autoclean)

ipt_unclean 7576 2 (autoclean)

ipt_LOG 4184 7 (autoclean)

ipt_REJECT 3960 4 (autoclean)

ipt_TCPMSS 3000 1 (autoclean)

ipt_state 1080 38 (autoclean)

ipt_multiport 1176 3 (autoclean)

ipt_conntrack 1560 0 (autoclean)

iptable_filter 2316 1 (autoclean)

iptable_mangle 2712 1 (autoclean)

iptable_nat 20814 0 (autoclean) (unused)

ip_conntrack 26468 3 (autoclean) [ipt_state ipt_conntrack iptable_nat]

ip_tables 15072 13 [ipt_TOS ipt_unclean ipt_LOG ipt_REJECT ipt_TCPMSS ipt_state ipt_multiport ipt_conntrack iptable_filter iptable_mangle iptable_nat]

es1371 27788 1

ac97_codec 15828 0 [es1371]

soundcore 6340 0 [es1371]

gameport 3268 0 [es1371]

nfsd 75280 8 (autoclean)

ppp_synctty 7520 1 (autoclean)

ppp_generic 24292 3 (autoclean) [ppp_synctty]

slhc 6564 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]

n_hdlc 7616 1 (autoclean)

af_packet 14856 0 (autoclean)

floppy 55932 0

8139too 17384 1 (autoclean)

mii 3864 0 (autoclean) [8139too]

nls_cp850 4284 1 (autoclean)

sr_mod 19384 0

sd_mod 13804 0

vfat 11820 1 (autoclean)

fat 38040 0 (autoclean) [vfat]

scsimon 9312 0 (unused)

usb-storage 91616 0

usbmouse 2936 0 (unused)

keybdev 2756 0 (unused)

mousedev 5428 0 (unused)

hid 24164 0 (unused)

nls_iso8859-15 4060 3 (autoclean)

ntfs 77292 2 (autoclean)

supermount 84032 4 (autoclean)

evdev 5600 0

wacom 7160 0 (unused)

input 5696 0 [usbmouse keybdev mousedev hid evdev wacom]

scanner 12064 0 (unused)

ide-cd 33956 0

cdrom 32608 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]

ide-scsi 11376 0

scsi_mod 106176 5 [sr_mod sd_mod scsimon usb-storage ide-scsi]

usb-uhci 25136 0 (unused)

usbcore 74988 2 [usb-storage usbmouse hid wacom scanner usb-uhci]

rtc 9004 0 (autoclean)

ext3 60048 1

jbd 39264 1 [ext3]

That should do it for now.

Anna, of course I laugh at you!. :D (Just to be friendly after all your help)

Regards and thanks in advance