How should I partition my hard drive

mousematt

I am preparing to do a clean install of 9.2 and would like to hear everyone's advice on disc partitioning. I have a 40GB harddrive and 9.2 will be the sole OS - it is essentially a desktop box with a single user - how do I set it up?

My one requirement is that I keep one 9GB ext3 partition called /backup - i won't wipe that. That leaves 31Gb to play with...

Share your thoughts

Do you listen to much music etc. on that box? To be perfectly honest I'd be tempted to create /home of maybe 5GB and leave the rest as /

If you do listen to many ogg's or MP3's then perhaps put them in a seperate partiton - maybe 10 GB.

I tend to find little or no improvement in fancy partitoning schemes on a desktop box using relatively slow disks.

Do you listen to much music etc. on  that box?  To be perfectly honest I'd be tempted to create /home of maybe 5GB and leave the rest as /

If you do listen to many ogg's or MP3's then perhaps put them in a seperate partiton - maybe 10 GB.

I tend to find little or no improvement in fancy partitoning schemes on a desktop box using relatively slow disks.

Yes, my PC is my personal stereo. Would you create a seperate partition? How big? 10GB? Also, how do I change the permissions so I can write to it as non-root?

Any thoughts, about this or partitioning in general?

How about?

9 GB /backup

4 GB /

5 GB /home

15 GB /storage

7 GB unpartitioned

4 GB for root is same as what I did with 9.2 and I have installed KDE, Gnome2, Apache, etc and only filled 1/3 of that, which leaves me with 2 1/2 gig left for more apps. The 15 gig for storage should make it easy to move files as a regular user (should be able to change the permissions on that partition... not sure how exactly). That leaves 7 gig that I would leave unpartitioned for now and save for any possible changes in the future, such as, a test partition for another distro, or space for a ftp server, etc.

Qchem, is rt. No need for anything fancy on a desktop.

9GB=/backup

4GB to max 5GB= / (I've never needed more than 3.5GB, and that's with /usr, /var in it)

5GB=/home (everyone seems to aggree on a big home, though I make mine 1GB to 2GB, but then, I don't put anything there, I put stuff in a 5GB /share partition.) Up to you, because you know what you'll put there. If you're the only user, make /home 10GB+ and just put 'media' there. Otherwise/and/or.....--->

10GB+Fat32 partition= /stuff. This will take care of your permission prob with more of a security risk (if that's a concern).

If you use a linux partition for 'stuff',

SEE: chown --help

and/or

man chown

If you have less than 1000MB RAM and/or run for days, months, etc... don't forget the swap :wink:

Whatever you do, prepare for dualboot.

(waitaminute, is he going to say you will want windows too? Answer: NO. Read on.)

You are going to want to make an extra ext3 (or whatever) partition for a second linux install.

/alt

4-6GB

ext3 (would be my advice)

They when betas and rc's come out, you can test those, or even install another distro, or new edition etcetc...

install them on your /alt partition (well, that one would then be the / partition, and your regular / you mount in that system on /alt).

Advantages: you get to try out the new version, without hosing your old. You get to not have to make backups of your /etc/[configfilenamehere] files, since you can just copy them from /alt/etc/[configfilenamehere] to /etc/.

All I would advice in addition, especially if you are going to boot completely different systems, is to use one bootloader for one, and another for the other system.

I use lilo on the MBR on my base system (currently 9.1), and lilo on a bootflop for the additional system (9.2, also had RH there for a while etcetc). That way, I just start the computer, with the floppy out of the drive I get 9.1, with the floppy in the drive I get 9.2.

Example:

Partition | system A mountpoint | system B mountpoint

hda1 | / | /alt

hda5 | swap |swap (nothing to do here, the secondary system will autorecognise)

hda6 | /home | /home or /althome (*1)

etcetc.

*1) in the latter case (/althome), your alternative system will initially have a /home dir on the / partition, of course you can link to the right /althome/[user] dir. Your users may not have the same user id, so check man chown and man chgrp....

I have never needed more than 5GB for the / partition, but then I had large partitions for /home (some new ones from an extra hd were mounted on /mnt and linked from my homedir) and games etc went in there.

I have also never used separate partitions for /var /usr /etc /boot etcetc.

But by all means, feel free to try.

Only 1 hard disk? Eek! My current setup is 2 x 61 GB Maxtor ata100, and a 160 GB Maxtor ata133. Partions are:

hda: 61 GB maxtor

/ = 4 GB

swap = 3 GB

/tmp = 10 GB

/var = 10 GB

/usr = 29.3 GB

hdb: 160 GB maxtor

/home = 160 GB

hdc: 61 GB maxtor

/pics = 27.8 GB

/archives = 29.5 GB

Yes its only one hard disc. This box is just a basic desktop - most of the time its a glorified typewriter... I don't dual boot and don't test run two seperate distros... I just use Linux.

I bit the bullet tonight and ordered a 9.2 PowerPack from Mandrakesoft's australian distributor. It should ship soon enough...

Thanks everyone for your support I think I might partition something like this...

boot 32MB

root 8GB

home 12GB (includes most of my oggs)

backup 9GB

free 11GB (I'll find a use for it soon enough)

Any criticisms? Also, do I use all ext3 or is something better for what I do? (type, surf and listen to Beethoven:P)