OSA - Open Source for America

yossarian

Open Source for America (OSA) is an effort to raise awareness in the U.S. Federal Government about the benefits of open source software. We hope to encourage the government's utilization of open source software participation in open source software projects, and incorporation of open source community dynamics to enable transparency.

Read more here.

I was reading on this yesterday and found some info - America can be used in reference as a continent and as a country.

that's a bad thing cuz a country is not equal a continent...also imagine if people just use that reference, what happens with central, south and the other part of north America... :wacko: :blink:

Technically, it should be North America and South America when referring to them as continents. At least that's how I see it. When saying "America" you are just generalising and thus the reason why it's seen as references to either country/continent.

The discussion regarding using the term "America" to mean "The United States of America" has been done to death.

Get over it. As long as you know what it's referring to, who cares? And obviously all of you do, otherwise you wouldn't have said anything.

Edited by tyme

I'm an American (from the US!! :P ), but I live in Italy. All the Italians call those from the US (they say USA), "Americans" ("Americani" in Italian) but those from other countries are called by their nationality (Canadians, Argentinians, etc.). Even the immigrants from South America say the same thing, although they often say "Latinos". Along the same line (and keeping to the discussion!), calling a country by a shorter name instead of using the actual name, is common. The United States of America, is called America. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is called the United Kingdom or England, etc. And as Tyme said:

As long as you know what it's referring to, who cares?
Edited by Kieth