MDK 9.2, my grumbles

Qchem

Being a fully paid up member of the Mandrake Club I've downloaded and installed 9.2 on my desktop machine at home (with just dial-up net connection). Installation seemed to run smooth, Gnome 2.4 is very nice and all in all it was much better than 8.2 which I used to have on there. Unfortunately it wasn't all fine and dandy and I thought I should report back on my experiences for anyone mulling over the idea of insatlling 9.2

Firstly, my soundcard was detected correctly however it just doesn't seem to work - either with ALSA or OSS, but was fine in 8.2

I've been trying to add some sources to urpmi but this has failed (in the same place) both with easyurpmi and the link given on the club website.

And the show stopper, by default the firewall is turned off (bad) but when it is switched on (through mcc) it blocks all internet access!!!

I also found it very annoying that the kernel-source was NOT included on the 3CD's - thats just criminal.

Please note, this isn't a call for help - I can probably fix all of these things myself, it's more pointing out the shortcomings of an otherwise excellent distro.

What do you mean no kernel sources on the International CD? If there are no kernel sources on the Discovery Edition or on the Download Edition - I am going to CANCEL my order with Mandrakesoft...

I need the kernel source to install Mandrake on my hardware - no sources... no point.

ARGH!!! I hate when companies do this to dial-up users...

cancel an order because you refuse to download the kernel-source yourself? So, you never upgrade your kernel anyway? You never get the Sec. Updates? They'll be a lot bigger than the kernel-source. Dialup is no excuse....I downloaded all 3 CD's for ML9.0 on dialup. :wink:

you can get the kernel sources from the contrib folder on the mirrors.  it's not a very large file, really, it won't kill you to download it; i promise ;-)

ARGH!!! I hate when companies do this to dial-up users...

The operative part is dial-up users. If you payed dial-up rates in Europe (which is actually where Mandrake are based) itsd not just a matter of time to download, its a matter of COST.

Its a hidden cost too.

I was on dialup for a year with 9.0 and I can tell you its HELL.

At least I had the source though!!!! Actually it was worse it was dial-up over my cell phone.... Honestly, if I didn't have a friend with DSL who let me take the laptop over I woulda got rid of Mandrake. I'm not joking either !!

Imagine how long even a

urpmi.updatemedia -a takes with 9600 baud over my cell phone!!!

Like Ive said before, Mandrake should decide WHO it is selling to.

Selling BoxSets implies a working system from the box. People who buy them expect it to work and not have 400MB of bug fixes.

Just cos MS does it doesn't make it a valid business model:D

If they wanna make the distro a broadband distro, only suitable for people with broadband that fine too but they need to either decide OR start supporting the boxsets with something that doesn't include having internet access.

I keep saying this BUT you can't imagine what Mandrkae is like with dial-up pay per minute access only.

ok ok ok i may have overreacted a little... but a dial-up connection in australia is painful... i do need the kernel sources to compile my intel 536ep modem driver (no rpm) and i rarely update kernel...

its not nasty cos the source isnt there BUT it is a major inconvenience... but i guess i'll deal

forgive me for the irate grumbling... had a very very bad day :? :( :cry:

sorry everyone... jus been a bad day :P

Firstly, my soundcard was detected correctly however it just doesn't seem to work - either with ALSA or OSS, but was fine in 8.2

Check your mixer settings. Make sure the Master and PCM switches are turned up. Starting with Mandrake 9.0, they used ALSA by default, and all sound mixers are muted by default.

ALSA

hmmm.

I just updated alsa the otherday NOW its broken.

Its actually intermittent.... that is I start XMMS or Kafine or .... and it works for a few seconds then the app hangs.

I used the latest texstar one so Ill try the PLF one tonight...

Its all a matter of my kmail audible notification!!!! Its become important all of a sudden that I get an audible warning for new mail cos I have a friend who can't call me at the moment so it seemed like a good idea to email me so I can call them.

>

The good news is that by jumping from 8.2 to 9.2, you didn't encounter this feature in 9.1 as some of us did!

>

Any tips on configuring it to work PROPERLY then??

Shorewall recommend that you download sample files from their website and tweak them. I disabled shorewall and used iptables instead. :)

Thanks spinynorman, I'll probably go down the IPtables route too.

emh:

I think it's something more sinister - tried playing with the mixer as soon as I noticed the sound wasn't working. Ideally there should be a test sound option when you configure the card....

ok ok ok i may have overreacted a little... but a dial-up connection in australia is painful... i do need the kernel sources to compile my intel 536ep modem driver (no rpm) and i rarely update kernel...

its not nasty cos the source isnt there BUT it is a major inconvenience... but i guess i'll deal

forgive me for the irate grumbling... had a very very bad day  :?  :(  :cry: 

sorry everyone... jus been a bad day :P

From memory yes you will need kernel source for the 536ep driver.