How to play games on Linux?

Guest Jw_Leonhart

Guest Jw_Leonhart

How do you play windows based games in Linux? If possible I would like to be able to play Everquest, Diablo II, Starcraft, and a few other games on Linux. I'm sure there is a program that can do this, also I would rather not have to pay for it... if I can't I can always run windows which isn't a big deal, just rather avoid the reboot... give me more time to learn linux...

also, if anyone knows a program, I am very newbie at linux so please explain how to install the program.

The CVS version is free, at least it was the last time I checked.

There are also a ton (well, ok; maybe not a ton) of games that run natively on Linux. Just a few are:

NWN

UT

UT2K3

RtCW

Unreal

Railroad Tycoon 2

Quake 3

SimCity 3000

The list goes on and on. Check DOlson's site for a (semi)complete listing of games you can get to run natively on Linux.

Also, you can play FreeSpace 1&2 natively in Linux (though the port is still pretty much beta).

Homeworld's source code has been released, I'm sure a port is rapidly going to be on the way there too.

Plus there is Devastation, Americas Army, Descent3, VegaStrike, and hosts of others.

Yes, you should always check for a native linux version first. www.tuxgames.com is a great place to go. Lot's of linux games.

Baring that I think that you would be realy happy with the latest version of WineX. Many peoplehere would slap me in the face for saying so, but wine sucks realy bad. I have found that it is not only difficult to configure but it works for only a tiny number of games. I strongly reccomend that if you want to play windows based games that there is not a port for, that you pay the $15.00 and tget the very easy to install and 'no-set-up required and prepackaged' version of WineX. Of course, you can always use the CVS if you can get it configured.

Also, you can play FreeSpace 1&2 natively in Linux (though the port is still pretty much beta).
yes you can w/a port from icculus (i forget who did it). just check out icculus.org, it's there...

There are lots of installers (including FS1 and 2) on ravage's page: icculus.org/~ravage/

umm can i get it for free? i'm not paying when i can use windows.

Windows isn't free either. ;)

There are lots of installers (including FS1 and 2) on ravage's page: icculus.org/~ravage/

umm can i get it for free? i'm not paying when i can use windows.

Windows isn't free either. ;)

AMEN!!!

• 4 weeks later...