Whats the best hardware for mandrake ?

riorama

greetings,

I'm making a trip to the parts store this weekend, with the intention of buying a barebones, or the parts for the equivalent.

Right now I have a celeron 667 on a Panacer board (it was cheap), with 192 megs of generic pc 133.

I'll have about 400 bucks US, and am mainly concerned with case, board, memory and chip.

What I'd like to know is what works best with mandrake (9.0, 9.1) I'd like to go as fast as possible without running out of stability.

Ive heard Asus boards are the most stable, but a little spendy. What are you using?

Ken

Case - $34

I replaced the PS with a Sparkle 300W - $25

Asus A7V600 - $86

AMD XP2500+ (Barton Core) - $90

KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM - $79

That's $314 + case fans (I have 3). You'll need to patch the kernel for DMA support because of the VIA Southbridge. You may also want to try a different manufacturer for RAM, because my Kingston will not run at 333 MHz (the machine won't boot), but it will at 266.

[/url]

It would put you a litle closer to your $400, but you should look at a soyo mobo. I've built a number of systems now on soyo motherboards and I've had great experiences with all of them in both Windows and Linux. Soyo says right on their site that their boards fully support linux. I'm particularly fond of the Soyo "k7vDragon Plus!." If you want an athlon XP, they of course have other boards in the dragon line for other CPU's, all fully supported under linux. I have not had to do a single thing to get it all working.

Soyo boards are great.

I have built the last two using Epox, which are excellent boards and generally not so pricey. $400 will get you into great stuff, including 256MB DDR RAM. I am an AMD person, have been since before they became more popular! And the kt400 chipset is also great. I have seen some configuration issuse with nvidia chipsets, but I have no personal experience with them.

Case - $34

I replaced the PS with a Sparkle 300W                - $25

Asus A7V600 - $86

AMD XP2500+ (Barton Core) - $90

KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 512MB 32x64 PC2700 DDR RAM - $79

That's $314 + case fans (I have 3). You'll need to patch the kernel for DMA support because of the VIA Southbridge. You may also want to try a different manufacturer for RAM, because my Kingston will not run at 333 MHz (the machine won't boot), but it will at 266.  

[/url]

I just use generic 333mhz ram with my 2500XP and it runs fine with a gigabyte kt400 motherboard, kingston should be fine, probably a motherboard support issue.

As you can see the choice is out there!!!

I'd recommend getting it all together...

I used to shop round all the stores which are in the same neighbourhood in Paris to try and get the best price at each BUT if your RAM doesn't run at full speed with the MOBO or the processor etc. your kinda stuck.

So now i pay a little bit extra (and freemarket economies are great things) to try and get it from one vendor.

Get the fastest RAM you can and ask them to test it in theo board.

My last bits I had them build, its free so I got them to install it and all. If the processor goes then they can't tell me I screwed the heatsink and its easier to carry back :D

I was pleasantly surprised just how many people were asking about Linux in the store.... and when he asked if I wanted the optional 20$ 6-in-one reader didn't look phased when I sdaid I needed to patch the kernel for it and couldn't be bothered, neat as it was!!!

Currently writing this on that PC, a shuttle FN41 with the nvidia chipset, an Athalon XP2800+ and 1GB DDR400 RAM. :D :D :D

Right now, I am running 9.1 powerpack on an ASRock K7VT2 Socket A (made by Asus Group), with 1 GB PC133 SDRAM (ported from previous mobo). I dual boot with Win98SE at the moment, but, if my experiments go okay, I go to only linux native boot, with win4lin v4.

Critical test is getting Poser 4 to work in win4lin v4 - win98se

OK, this is what I got...

I went a little over budget, and my wife is angry, but she'll forgive when she sees the way rune runs on my fancy new box.....

Asus A7N8X Deluxe, XP2500, Corsair PC3200 512MB, nForce FX5200 Ultra 128MB, 120G WD.

I can't believe how easliy and wonderfully 9.1 loloaded, and the nForce drivers configured. It took me 1 hour to assemble, 30 minutes to install, and I was online and gaming.

Ive gotta go now, Pot Pie in the oven, games to play...

Thanks for all the input!!

It was a feature of the BIOS in the a7v600 (It's called JumperFree). I'm pretty sure that the a7n8x doesn't have it, unfortunately. The Award BIOS's JumperFree Overclocking is a really cool feature. You just go to Advanced (or whatever, can't really remember) and there are several preset MHz settings, underclocked and one that is overclocked. You can also manually change the FSB and multipliers and several settings for the video car, the voltages and the RAM....stuff I have no idea how to mess with. ;)