how do I know if I installed something right ?

null

I can't view some web pages properly on my liinux box (RH 9 and mozilla) - at least the pages that use Flash.

So I went to the Links button at the top of this board and downloaded the redhat 9 rpm under the "helpful links" section. (I'm using RH 9 at the moment)

Then I double-clicked the rpm file, it asked me for the root password, then it seemed to be quickly done. Anyway, I went back to the webpage that was not displaying, and no difference.

So I was wondering if I installed Flash properly, or maybe I have to somehow set mozilla to use it... ? :?

PS: what little linux experience I have is only with Konq

The best way of checking that flash is installed is probabyl to check whether its listed in your RPM database. I haven't used RH properly so I don't know how their tools work, but I guess it shouldn't be difficult.

To get flash working with Konqueror you need the "nsplugins" rpm to be installed and also to activate them within KDE control centre. You can have KDE scan for new plguins every time you boot or set it to manual. KDE will display a list of those plugins detected and what they are used for.

If all that fails you can try installing it manually. If you go to the macromedia website you used to be able to download a tarball which contained the player and some real simple instructions.

I don't use Flash, so I can't help with its usage to view web pages.

But for RPM packages, you can know what version is installed (if any) with

# rpm -q PackageName

or, if you don't remember the exact name

# rpm -qa | grep -i "PartOfThePackageName"

Yves.

If you come to the conclusion that the plugin is not being recognized by the browser, take a look at this doc and you can test it here (it says that the flash plugin is installed successfully, if it's your case).

I had the same sort of problem with plugins, some you have to do a symlink, others you have to copy the libplugin.so files to plugins dir. Read the mozilla plugin doc page and good luck.

thanks for all the replies.

I did what the Yin Yeti said to do, # rpm -q flash-plugin.blah blah

result was "not installed..." I think its a dependency problem as to why it did not install.

ok, so anyway, I've go to fix something else before I continue with this problem... (when fixing my nvidia driver under RH 9, I may have lost my inittab file... :oops: but I'm not sure (dang I hate that vi program...) So I have to boot up to command prompt and log in that way, then do startx, then everything works ok. But I want to bootup into X. (init default 5)

Before I tried to fix my nvidia driver, I edited my inittab file and changed the "init default 5" to 3 just in case of problems (per nvidia's recommendation) then I installed the driver and edited inittab again and changed the "nv" to "nvidia". Anyway - nvidia 3D works great !! I was really shocked I did something right :lol:

Then when I used vi to get back into my inittab file so I could change the init default 3 back to 5 it showed me a message about 2 inittab files existing (one was inittab.swp) and did I want to delete the "swp" one, I said yes, then it opened up a "new" blank inittab file :?

so now I need to find out if I really lost the file, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? I thought it was in /etc

Sometimes I feel like a moron, but every little thing I goof up, I learn something... :)

disregard the portion of the last post where I said I was having problems getting back into my inittab - I got back into the file and returned the init default to 5. My head must have been somewhere else the other evening... :?

Still want to get Flash (and Shockwave - or are they the same thing...?) set up for Konq & moz

I'll read up on this board how to get urpmi set up right - and try to at least get flash/shockwave installed properly first

thanks

Flash and Shockwave are two different things. You can get Flash to work in Konqueror (there should be a post here about it, if you search), but unless you use the Crossover plugin or some other wine-like thingy, you won't get Shockwave. And, as far as I know, even with Crossover, I don't know of anyone (including me) who has gotten Shockwave working.

I can help you for mozilla maybe:

I'll upload teh flash-plugin to my site...for a couple of days...:

*download these 2 files:

1) http://lumumba.luc.ac.be/~michel/libflashplayer.so

2) http://lumumba.luc.ac.be/~michel/flashplayer.xpt

You've just downloaded the flash-plugins....it maybe aren't the latest, but they'll help you

*place them in "/usr/share/mozilla/plugins" (I hope you have this directory)

*start up mozilla..that's it normally

------

for konqueror (I don't use it really, so mayeb you shoudl better had put the plugins in a common directory and make a symlink to /usr/share/mozilla/plugins)...you probably coudl add this directory (/usr/share/mozilla/plugins) to the directories tayt have to be scanned....

--------------

You can uninstall the rpm..to not get a messy system....

Hopefully this helps

For RH9 gor here;

http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/macromedia/apt/r...0.79-1.i386.rpm

which is a link here;

http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/macromedia/apt/r...0.79-1.i386.rpm

which is found here (I put it here);

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/weblinks/link...ster.php?CID=13

Then go here;

http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/macromedia/faq.html

and follow instructions. That's it....it has never failed and I've done it several times on ML9.1, RH9, and Debian :wink: ...if you still have probs let us know. :wink:

If Flash works in Mozilla, Konq should find it there and work as well.

Oh, and get apt and synaptic for rpm. It'll make life a lot easier in RH.

disregard the portion of the last post where I said I was having problems getting back into my inittab - I got back into the file and returned the init default to 5.  My head must have been somewhere else the other evening...  :?

Download the slacklive CD , never have to use VI again because you have to :)

Tux

Ok, I did something else right.... :lol:

thanks for all the helpful posts. I was trying to double-click my flash-plugin rpm file while in KDE, and it looked like it was starting something... but then nothing...

Guess it was because I was in kde as my username, not root... :oops:

so anyway, before I thought of the "not root" problem, I decided to give the command line a try. Did rpm -i flash-plugin.blah.blah and presto ! it got installed and I had to accept the user license :)

Went into mozilla, went to e-cards site as bvc suggested, clicked on a demo card that said "Flash required" ... and .... drum roll please... IT WORKED !! Went to Help/About plugins and saw that flash-plugin was listed properly. Dang... I could get to like this stuff !

Doesn't work in konq yet, but I'm getting used to mozilla, so I'll worry about konq later

thanks again

Since I am in a RH machine right now, I think I can show you how to enable flash plugin in konqueror.

Open konqueror, choose settings then configure konqueror. Pick plugins from the left side of the kde control module (usually at the bottom). Make sure that the directory of the mozilla plugin is included in the list of plugins directory, if not, just add it. Then press the button scan for new plugins. Press ok. Then check in the plugins folder whether flash is included.

Hope it works.

thanks DragonMage

as a matter of fact, I had already tried that but it didn't work.

Well, I just tried it again after reading your post, and I saw that the mozilla plugins were listed and the checkbox was marked "scan for plugins at kde startup". BUT even though it was supposed to scan for plugins a startup, I just clicked the button for "scan for plugins" and now Flash DOES work... :?

don't know why it didn't get it at startup but oh well, at least it works now. And it works in mozilla too... I'm on a roll here... :lol: