problem with networking

Guest khmer_kid

Guest khmer_kid

hi! i had trouble try to networking with my (xp) computer....

my (xp) computer is connecting to internet through DSL, while i wanted (linux) connect through (xp) how do i manage to do that...

i try to create network from (xp) follow the wizard and create a floppy disk then insert in (linux) but when i try to open the files it ask me to open with another program support which i do not understand for one bit (im a noob/newbie to this) please help

Hi khmer_kid. Welcome on the forum!

You don't need the floppy created by the Windows XP wizard really. You have to:

-On the Windows XP box:

Go through the wizard to allow Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Btw, to do that, this box needs 2 ethernet cards .. 1 connected to the DSL modem and the other to the Linux box or to a hub.

-On the Linux box:

Look in the menu and open the Mandrake Control Center (MCC). Now, clic Network & Internet and then select DrakConnect. Down there you'll see a button to launch a wizard.. clic it. Follow the steps to connect to the net through your LAN (Local Area Network). At the end of this wizard, open your favorite browser (I use Konqueror) and type in http://www.google.com/linux . There we go =)

HTH

MOttS

Guest khmer_kid

kool... i cannot do this now, because im at school i will try to follow your instruction when i get back home... anyway for linux everything is so different i dont know anything or command to use, is there another way i can learn how to use it... or do i have to know alot of programming language to be able to use?

anyway for linux everything is so different i dont know anything or command to use, is there another way i can learn how to use it...

Humm, you could read a book about Linux. Go in a library and ask for a beginner book .. they always have one. But for Mandrake Linux, you don't really need one .. pretty much everything is done from the Mandrake Control Center (Network, boot options, services, etc, etc, etc). But one day the MCC will not be enough for what you wanna do and command lines (cl) will be your friend .. don't worry, this day will come sooner that you actually think ;-) .

or do i have to know alot of programming language to be able to use?

No .. I don't know any programming language .. I only have some base in Visual Basic (and this is useless in Linux) and I run Linux on 2 boxes here at home. But this definitively helps a bit ..

Good luck!

MOttS

hi! i had trouble try to networking with my (xp) computer.... 

my (xp) computer is connecting to internet through DSL, while i wanted (linux) connect through (xp) how do i manage to do that... 

i try to create network from (xp) follow the wizard and create a floppy disk then insert in (linux) but when i try to open the files it ask me to open with another program support which i do not understand for one bit (im a noob/newbie to this) please help

Welcome to the board!!

Mandrake is a great distro, really easy to use. Great for beginners. Once you get the internet connected you should setup you Linux so you can go into Add Software and have a nice big list to chose from. YOu can then pick something and it will download and install it ready to use in next to no time!

Go here and follow the instructions.

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

If you are looking for a linux equivalent of a particular piece of sofware there is a big list of software here with the Windows and the Linux equivalent side by side.

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/

Have a look around, play with your linux and don't be afraid to try anything. If for some reason something breaks, which isn't too likely, post here and well help you fix it.

Good luck!

James

Guest khmer_kid
-On the Linux box:

Look in the menu and open the Mandrake Control Center (MCC).  Now, clic Network & Internet and then select DrakConnect.  Down there you'll see a button to launch a wizard.. clic it.  Follow the steps to connect to the net through your LAN (Local Area Network).  At the end of this wizard, open your favorite browser (I use Konqueror) and type in http://www.google.com/linux .  There we go =)

HTH

MOttS

ok i think i have got the first part.. but for the second part i do not get...

I have open Mandrake Control Center (MCC) and go Network but i cannot see DrakConnect all it has in Network is :

Desktop Sharing

Email

File Sharing

Local Network Brower

Local Network Chat

Prefernces

Proxy

is there something wrong with my MCC or i have not install it yet... if so how do i install it... thank

welcome to MUB.

Seems you entered the other control center (KDE's control center) you want Mandrake Control Center ... which is where you will find DrakConnect after selecting Network & Internet along the left column.

PS. I know zero programming (I don't count any leftover knowledge of TI-99/4A basic) and have begun to pick up on the commands used after a short while (such as, mcc - which will start this Mandrake Control Center from a terminal)

Yeah. That's what it sounds like to me, too. I don't remember where MCC is in KDE. I think it is KMenu (like windows Start Menu) -> Configuration -> Mandrake Control Center. There may be an icon for it on the desktop. I think the only icon on the taskbar is KDE Control Center.

Guest khmer_kid

sorry my bad, it MCC (i got CC)... anyway i had follow the instruction but doesn't work...

Network & Internet Configuration

1. -i tick ADSL and LAN connection

2. -IP address: 10.0.0.10

-Netmask: 225.225.225.0 (remember Linux is connecting to XP)

3. -Host name: comp1

-Zeroconf Hostname: (i leave it blank, because i dont know)

-DNS server 10.0.02

-Gateway: 220.240.123.95 (this i read it off from XP)

and the other things how can i adjust my screen resolution... because some application pop out and too big, and i cannot see the edge or other button...

1. -i tick ADSL and LAN connection 

2. -IP address: 10.0.0.10

-Netmask: 225.225.225.0 (remember Linux is connecting to XP)

3. -Host name: comp1

-Zeroconf Hostname: (i leave it blank, because i dont know)

-DNS server 10.0.02

-Gateway: 220.240.123.95 (this i read it off from XP)

Almost there.

1) Tick 'Use automatic detection' and clic 'Next'

2) Tick ONLY 'Connect to internet through LAN' .. don't select ADSL !!! .. the modem is connected to your XP box, Linux don't care about it.

3) Tick 'BOOTP/DHCP/ZEROCONF' and clic 'Next'

4) Don't enter any Zeroconf hostname .. just clic 'Next'

5) Don't enter any Proxy setting .. just clic 'Next'

6) Tick 'Yes' to apply changes and clic 'Next'

7) Clic 'Finish'

Now open your brower (which desktop are your using btw?) and try google.com

and the other things how can i adjust my screen resolution... because some application pop out and too big, and i cannot see the edge or other button...

Hit simultaneously CTRL, ALT and + or - (on the right side of your keyboard)... this should change the resolution. If you don't get the res you want, go MCC->Hardware and look around... you should see something like 'Change resolution'. Select the res you like and logout and login again.

Good luck!

MOttS

Guest khmer_kid

it doesn't work sorry to say... and the resolution also doesn't work either my screen still look big and doesn't fit the screen... i try to re-adjust it from 1152 by 864 to 1024 by 768 still the same (of course i re-login)

and how do i remove the driver (network i installed) maybe try to reinstall the driver hopefully it working...

(i did go to Software Management --> RpmDrake helps you remove sofware packages, but i dont know which one to remove)

it doesn't work sorry to say... and the resolution also doesn't work either my screen still look big and doesn't fit the screen... i try to re-adjust it from 1152 by 864 to 1024 by 768 still the same (of course i re-login)

and how do i remove the driver (network i installed) maybe try to reinstall the driver hopefully it working... 

(i did go to Software Management --> RpmDrake helps you remove sofware packages, but i dont know which one to remove)

:mystilol: :mystilol: :mystilol: :mystilol: :mystilol:

Come on man .. read the above steps and follow them .. it's going to work.................

Now, here are some questions:

1) Are you sure the WinXP box is set correctly?

-The DHCP server runs

-You have 2 network cards

-You did run the ICS wizard

-Go in a DOS terminal and type

ipconfig /all

and post the output here .. I'll tell you if everything is set right.

2) Are you sure the network card is correctly detected on your Linux box?

-Give us the brand of the card .. + the chipset number .. everything you find on your network card, give it to us

-Open a terminal, login as root (type 'su' and enter your password) and type 'lsmod' .. post the output here... we will tell you if Linux loaded the right driver for your card.

Just say that it doesn't work will not solve anything .. so you have to help us!

For the screen .. did you try CTRL-ALT-- and CTRL-ALT-+? Did you try to reboot? Did you really set the res in the MCC or in the KCC? Which graphic card do you have? If you have an nvidia base card, did you install the driver?

whatever

mottts

Guest khmer_kid

ok the funny things i rewrite this all again, which i almost finish copying the lsmod in mandrake... i accidently press the ******* mouse Back so all my writing just gone... grrrrrrrrrrrr.... well here is all ipconfig in xp

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : COMP1

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe

rnet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-28-60-04

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.253.140

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter D-Link Dial-Up PPP Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 220.240.123.95

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 220.240.123.95

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.194.56.150

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

for mandrake also have the same nic...

and for my video card... (mandrake) it a NVIDIA GeForce 2... but im not sure which version it is ( i even try to take out and search in the internet, no use)

and for lsmod... archhh it so long, is there another way i can copy it and put in my xp... (i try to copy it by using floppy disk and the damn Message: Writing to devices is not supported...)

if it really that important i try to post lsmod later after i finish school

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe

rnet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-28-60-04

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.253.140

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I think your XP box is not set right. 'Autoconfiguration' doesn't sound nice at all and I see 'Default Gateway ... :' .. nothing, which is not good at all. We should see something like:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.0

Could someone using XP as a gateway double-check that plz?

khmer_kid, go to the following address to learn how to set your Win xp box correctly:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...p_ics/index.htm

for mandrake also have the same nic...

Ok .. do you see 8139too when you type 'lsmod' then? This is really important that the right driver is loaded. I also see you didn't put an S at nic .. do you mean you only have 1 nic on your XP box or what?

and for my video card... (mandrake) it a NVIDIA GeForce 2... but im not sure which version it is ( i even try to take out and search in the internet, no use)

This is a FAQ. Go here and have fun!

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4567

MOttS