Accessing ntfs-3g files - Dolphin / 2009.0

AlRoss

Have recently got Mandriva 2009.0

However, I cannot seem to access ntfs-3g partitions that exist on my Sony VAIO PC. These are:

sda1 VAIO - the Windows XP system partition 30Gb

sda2 VAIO2 - a now largely redundant documents partition - 30Gb

sdb1 documents - a new documents partition 100Gb of a 320 Gb disk

I did a little reading on this forum and found can't access ntfs drive after update discussing a similar looking problem together with some helpful replies.

I've followed the advice given. Ian Walker advises to check if NTFS-3G is installed by doing

rpm -qa | grep -i ntfs

That reports with:

ntfs-3g-1.2918-1mdv2009.0

ntfsprogs-2.0.0-3mdv2009.0

libntfs10-2.0.0-3mdv2009.0

which looks to me like ntfs-3g is installed.

Using Dolphin I try clicking on the media listed in the 'places' bar on the left of window. This gets me an error message ...

An error occurred while accessing 'VAIO', the system responded:

org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.PermissionDenied device /dev/sda1 is listed in /etc/fstab. Refusing to mount

Checking /etc/fstab reveals the following:

# Entry for /dev/sdb5 :

UUID=aaffee12-bfb0-4a71-b060-342d44498a21 / ext3 relatime 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sdb7 :

UUID=133b2107-51c1-455c-af65-6da15c681512 /home ext3 relatime 1 2

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,exec,flush 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :

LABEL=Documents /mnt/documents ntfs-3g user 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :

UUID=8234191434190CB3 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g user 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sda2 :

UUID=86BCD462BCD44DF5 /mnt/windows_D ntfs-3g user 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sdb6 :

UUID=726f0a08-4d31-4756-a5b1-b93310065394 swap swap defaults 0 0

The "solution" reported in the topic linked above is to replace /mnt with /media

I tried that to no avail (after I eventually found out how to get recognised as root to permit editing of fstab!).

Now I think I'm stuck.

One oddity though - after installing 2009.0 I decided to import my Windoze fonts using the tools in the control centre. That demands the root password and it worked fine - so somethings can see into at least one of those ntfs-3g partitions.

Can anyone give a steer as to what I need to do to make them accessible from an ordinary (non-root) user account?

Thanks

Al

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

hal is not going to mount them because fstab already has and you can't mount something twice. Look for them in the /mnt folder in dolphin and they should be there unless you get multiple warnings on boot up about things not working. But then again you probably run a boot splash screen so you wouldn't see those warnings anyhow. Not your fault, it happens by default and that is about as dumb as you can get for default behaviour (ignore - just one of my hobby horses!).

If they are in there I will give you one other piece of advice, since you will almost certainly want to write to these partitions at some stage, change your fstab to add 'rw' so they look like :

UUID=8234191434190CB3 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g user,rw 0 0

Hope that works.

First of all, change /mnt back to /media or make sure then in /mnt there are folders that has the same names as the mount points of the drives.

By all means try what ffi said. If an ntfs partition is flagged as dirty due to an improper shutdown in windows then a check disk is in order, or just boot them into windows and then shut down properly.

Also try edit fstab and change user to defaults in each of the ntfs-3g lines.

A common and easy to fix problem is that the volumes where not umounted cleanly, start windows click on the drives and exit windows, if this works you are done, else we need to look into it a bit deeper

Thanks. Hadn't thought about that though I'm not familiar with the concept of Windoze unmounting drives. Because my XP takes about 15 minutes to boot from cold (I kid you not :wall: ) I tend to hibernate/resume and often have hibernated it and then switched to Linux. In 2008 Spring that was possible but maybe 2009 is fussier. I'll try it out!

Al

You are spot on. As my niece would say "scary biscuits!".

Having closed Windoze they now mount nicely. Wasn't necessary in 2008 though. Has something critical changed since then?

Thanks for the steer.

Al