just installed 9.0 under "expert" - think I goofed

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I wanted to get rid of my win98 partitions (I did) and re-install 9.0 over the old 9.0 installation I already had. I didn't have any important data or anything - so a new install wouldn't hurt anything.

Anyway, I didn't know what the hell I was doing when the partion questions came up. I tried to partition over win98 (I think that did work ok) and for the other partitions - well, I just clicked on Wizard or something like that and let it do whatever it does. Then I proceeded thru the rest of the install and it appeared to be sucessful and stuff seems to work. But I haven't really done anything yet except play a few games, and browse the internet.

How can I tell if I have my entire H-D available, and if the partitioning and formatting went ok? I mean, it appears that mandrake is telling me (under the software install rpmdrake) that I have 4GB available. Well, I have a 40GB hard drive with only mandrake 9.0 on it. So I'm thinking I goofed up all the disk partitioning. How do I tell ? :?

I know this seems like a moronic question, but I've been off linux for quite a while. so I'm basically looking for something like under windoze where you right click on your C: and select Properties and get the info something like "40Gb disk, 6Gb used...".

And if I did goof up, can I fix it now, or do I need to reinstall? :oops:

Guest FenestraeNunquam

there's another post here that has got me scared of diskdrake:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6325

I was just wondering where in mandrake you can see what your partitions are and how much H-D you have. Like in windoze where you right-click on C: drive and can see all the directories and the size of C and the space used and the space available...

I have a feeling that since I partitioned over my win98 area, that Mandrake used that for the actual mandrake system, but the other partitions may be -0- bytes...

diskdrake can be good. just be carefull. i wrote that post in anger.

to find out space and stuff:

df

for me

@james >>> df

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda6             2.0G  1.8G  165M  92% /

/dev/hda1             2.0G  1.3G  640M  66% /home

/dev/hda5             894M  639M  211M  76% /home/james/music

/dev/hda7             945M  440M  457M  50% /mnt/windows

/mnt/windows DOE NOT CONTAIN WINDOWS and never had. It is named like that because i couldn't be stuffed naming it in diskdrake. It is a play partition with Peanut Linux on it. I was bored!!

As

James

If you have any partitions that aren't mounted they will not show up when issuing the df command. However, any "holes" in the drive assignments should be noticable. Can you show us what df outputs?

Glitz.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

df shows:

File system 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda1 5542276 1775128 3485612 34% /

/dev/hda6 33783976 36704 33747272 1% /home

Ok, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I can see that I'm using around 5.5Gb for / and around 33.7Gb for /home.

That would be the reason that when I get into rpmdrake to look at software packages, it tells me I only have a little over 3Gb space available - cuz /home is hogging up the whole disk... :oops:

Yup, if you let diskdrake 'Auto Allocate' at install, you'll typically get a huge /home directory and not enough space to do squat in /usr or /. You have two choices:

1. Use DiskDrake to resize /home down to a more reasonable level and create a /usr partition

2. Reinstall. (I don't mind telling it to 'Auto Allocate', but I always look to see what it does, write down the sizes of the partitions it creates and then clear the info and make them more reasonable....it just gives me an idea of what relative sizes / and /usr should be).

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I don't mind re-installing. The only reason I chose "expert" the first time was to get rid of my win98 partition, and I guess that worked ok.

Now, since I don't really know what I'm doing with partitions yet, I wonder if - now that win98 is gone - if I reinstall but choose "recommended" instead of "expert" - will mandrake create all the other partitions automatically, and make /home a reasonable size? If I choose an "Install" instead of an "Upgrade" I mean.

Or do I have to do another "expert" install?

The last time I partitioned a hard drive was back in the late-80s on a PC with DOS - think it was called "fdisk" or something. Since my DOS days, I've been pointing and clicking in windoze and maybe my brain has atrophied from non-use.

:) thanks

cfdisk is pretty friendly for a CLI, certainly more than fdisk (which is the same in linux but more like expert mode)

Anyway, cfdisk is self explanatory and Ive never had a problem loosing stuff like diskdrake.

Sometimes it won't open a partition etc. and then you have to use fdisk and usually in expert... but its never allowed me to open something then mess up on writing the partition table and leave me in the middel of nowhere.

I wonder if - now that win98 is gone - if I reinstall but choose "recommended" instead of "expert" - will mandrake create all the other partitions automatically, and make /home a reasonable size? If I choose an "Install" instead of an "Upgrade" I mean.

Or do I have to do another "expert" install?

You have to do expert if you want complete control. If you reinstall, ML will most likely just use what's already there which will defeat your wanting to resize. Also, df can show you the type

[root@localhost home]# df -Th

Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda6 reiserfs    2.3G  1.6G  737M  68% /

/dev/hda1     vfat     13G  7.8G  5.0G  62% /mnt/c

/dev/hda7     ext3    4.1G  2.0G  2.0G  51% /mnt/rh

/dev/hda8 reiserfs    4.9G  1.8G  3.2G  36% /mnt/d

/dev/hda9 reiserfs    4.5G  3.1G  1.4G  70% /mnt/share

[root@localhost home]#

so can my favorite...parted

[root@localhost home]# parted -i

GNU Parted 1.6.4

Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied

warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more

details.

Using /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc is 3736/255/63.

Therefore, cylinder 1024 ends at 8032.499M.

(parted) print

Disk geometry for /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 0.000-29311.734 megabytes

Disk label type: msdos

Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags

1          0.031  13005.747  primary   fat32       boot

2      13005.747  29306.074  extended              lba

5      13005.778  13303.828  logical   linux-swap  

6      13303.859  15578.657  logical   reiserfs    

7      15578.688  19798.857  logical   ext3        

8      19798.888  24795.637  logical   reiserfs    

9      24795.668  29306.074  logical   reiserfs    

(parted) q

Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.             

[root@localhost home]#

parted options

[root@localhost home]# parted --help

Usage: parted [OPTION]... [DEVICE [COMMAND [PARAMETERS]...]...]

Apply COMMANDs with PARAMETERS to DEVICE.  If no COMMAND(s) are given, runs in

interactive mode.

OPTIONs:

-h, --help                    displays this help message

-i, --interactive             where necessary, prompts for user intervention

-s, --script                  never prompts for user intervention

-v, --version                 displays the version

COMMANDs:

check MINOR                   do a simple check on the filesystem

cp [FROM-DEVICE] FROM-MINOR TO-MINOR      copy filesystem to another partition

help [COMMAND]                prints general help, or help on COMMAND

mklabel LABEL-TYPE            create a new disklabel (partition table)

mkfs MINOR FS-TYPE            make a filesystem FS-TYPE on partititon MINOR

mkpart PART-TYPE [FS-TYPE] START END      make a partition

mkpartfs PART-TYPE FS-TYPE START END      make a partition with a filesystem

move MINOR START END          move partition MINOR

name MINOR NAME               name partition MINOR NAME

print [MINOR]                 display the partition table, or a partition

quit                          exit program

rescue START END              rescue a lost partition near START and END

resize MINOR START END        resize filesystem on partition MINOR

rm MINOR                      delete partition MINOR

select DEVICE                 choose the device to edit

set MINOR FLAG STATE          change a flag on partition MINOR

[root@localhost home]#

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Ok thanks for all that.

Before I got bvc's post I was already sitting in the middle of a re-install (my 3rd). It told me my partitions were screwed up and it couldn't proceed unless I wiped them all out), so I said ok to wipe out the partitions.

So now it is sitting at the Filesystems/Format partitions screen and I now have one giant "empty" hda. I'll let it sit at that step until one of you guys tell me what to choose. Its waiting for me to click "create" and then I can choose the type, size, mount point, etc. Thats what I need to know for what to choose. Or maybe I can just select "auto allocate" and then adjust if necessary (as Steve says). I just want it to make what I need to have a working linux system that I can learn on.

So all I need now is what to choose for this step. The rest of the install is easy.

thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you d/k :? You just stated the steps yourself. Do you want to know sizes? You definately need a

/

/home

swap

Size depends on what you want to do. Just a normal desktop?...all on a 40GB hd? That's a major waste IMO! I'd

/=4GB to 7GB This will give you enough space to install everything, AND compile XFree86 and the kernel at the same time :lol: ...if that's possible.

/home=1GB to 5GB and up, depending on what you want to keep there, I guess. I make my /home very small and keep all my goodies on /mnt/share (see below).

swap=? depends on the amount of RAM you have. To be safe;

swap=250 should be more than enough if you have 128MB. The general rule is >swap=twice the RAM

Then if you don't care about the rest of the space, just make it

mount point=/mnt/share

and make it a fat32 if you want to make sharing easy/hassle free (less secure).

Does this help any?

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I did what bvc suggested in the above post (I chose Auto Allocate, and then I adjusted to what bvc suggested). It seemed to work fine.

It prompted me for the various CDs, and went thru the rest of the install, and finally got to the "update" from mirrors option. I said ok, and selected a mirror, that went ok, then it finally said Congratulations - Install complete.

When it rebooted, well I just got tons of errors - fs errors - fix y or n.

"error reading block so & so resulted in short read blah blah"

It just won't go from there.

So, what I'm going to do is just wait for 9.2 and try to do a recommend install from that. I'll just leave this box dead for the time being.

When I fooled around with 8.1 a couple of years ago, I don't remember having too much trouble. Of course, back then I already had win98 on the box, so maybe that helps mandrake.

I don't have alot of time or patience for fooling around with just installing something. I have a full time job, and am taking 2 college courses, and on top of that I'm learning O-O programming & learning java (i'm a former cobol programmer), and last but not least I have a family.

So this mandrake experience was just a little something I wanted to do on the side of all the other stuff I have going on. I guess I just don't have the time to mess with it right now.

I'm kind of ticked off that it accepted the sizes of /, /home, swap, and /mnt/share without any problem and then proceeded to make me swap CDs for 30 minutes or so, then made me wait 30 more minutes for the "update" from the mirrors to finish. Then it has the nerve to tell me "congratulations you've installed mandrake" when in reality it won't even boot after all that time wasted installing.