Eterm and Fluxbox question

william

I'm using the latest fluxbox version and using eterm as an option to gnome terminal.

Is it possible to copy the contents on the eterm screen to an editor? With gnome terminal through the menu it was very easy. If positive, How do I go about?

BTW, I've succeded in putting my favorite background on fluxbox desktop. Where I change the alpha value to get menu transparency?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the mouse I have here is a wheel one, right and left buttons and a wheel in the midle, unfortunately no middle button.

I can't figure out where is the copy option in Eterm. I've alredy investigated where in the menu this option could be, are you sure Eterm has this option in the menus?

After spending much time trying to get some sort of transparency here in fluxbox menu and Eterm (using my own background, editing init file ) I definitely gave up. None of these transperancy setup have worked.

I've already read all posts here concerning to fluxbox and Eterm, but none of them helped me out. The only additional configuration tool that really worked here was idesk, but with that "blue" shade on icon's name.(how to get rid of this when you are using your own background?)

I've been starting flux through .xinitrc like this:

#exec gnome-session 

#exec startkde

#exec enlightenment &

idesk &

gkrellm &

exec fluxbox

It seems that to have flux and E17 running here it's mandatory to be a heavy linux user, what unfortunately I'm not yet. With E 17 I gave up, considering that probably those RPM's already discussed here are beta files(and I didn't get icons inside iconbar).

Fluxbox I got the latest rpm version and very easy to install, but regarding transparency, could someone here help me to get tranparent menu with flux and tranparency with Eterm?

Tranparency in Eterm works only when I use the style's background.

edited to give some more details

the mouse I have here  is a wheel one, right and left buttons and a wheel in the midle, unfortunately no middle button.

william ... have you ever tried clicking the wheel ??? all the wheel mouses (mice?) I have have a button under the wheel ... which makes the wheel a button also ... therefore ... middle click

Thanks to all.

paul: the mouse issue is already solved.

BooYah: I've already read this thread and already commented those lines in Xsession and it worked when using fluxbox styles and consequently its own background color.

This problem concerning the blue highlighted thing over icon name and Eterm transparency occurs only when I'm using my own backgroung. (it was set in the ~/.fluxbox init file). On the other hand, both problems are solved when using fluxbox themes and naturally original background.

How are you starting Eterm that you can't get trans? What is setting the background? Flux? You need to use Esetroot in ~/.xinitrc to set your background and tell Flux not to in either the theme and/or init.

SEE: man Esetroot or Esetroot -help (d/remember if 1 or 2 '-'')

and

man Eterm for trans

How are you starting Eterm that you can't get trans? What is setting the background? Flux?

As soon the system loads. Normally, through flux terms menu. Actually I was overriding theme defaults background putting bsetbg -f ~/my image in init file, session.screen0.rootCommand line.

You need to use Esetroot in ~/.xinitrc to set your background and tell Flux not to in either the theme and/or init.

I've done it, but it hasn't worked. Firstly I tried it in .xinitrc but no success and after that in init file with same result. After exiting from Flux I got error messages saying that was impossible to load image file. (Esetroot /usr/share/backgrounds/singularity.jpg)

SEE: man Esetroot or Esetroot -help (d/remember if 1 or 2 '-'')

and

man Eterm for trans

Theres no such option for Esetroot no manual pages.

No problems with Eterm, the problem here is the background that I haven't been able to get it working. And trans in Eterm works only with Esetroot or wmsetbg.

Any suggestion? I haven't given up to receive help :lol:. Have all of you given up to help a newbie? I hope not.

I had probs with bsetbg and trans in Eterm as well....metioned it here (I think) and I seemed to be the only one.

I've done it, but it hasn't worked
If it works from a terminal, it should work from .xinitrc, the style/theme, and init. I've done all three. Getting an error or something?
Theres no such option for Esetroot no manual pages.
:shock: ...use to be :shock:

a google search

http://www.coost.com/dwww/man/byname/E/

I couldn't find any .xinitrc's from my flux days....deleted them cause I'll never use it again, or if I do, it'll be so diiff they wouldn't really apply.

Guest BooYah

From my ~/.fluxbox/init

session.screen0.rootCommand:    Esetroot -s /usr/share/wallpapers/Downloaded/Gayer-Husband-1.JPG

Esetroot [-display <display_name>] [-bgcolor <color>] [-scale] [-center] [-fit] [-mirror] pixmap

Short options are also recognized (-d, -b, -s, -c, -f, and -m)

The bsetbg line in ~/.fluxbox/startup is commented out.

Hope that helps.

Guest BooYah

Also, if your display manager is set as gdm then the damn thing slaps a solid blue background underneath your fluxbox background. I never could get the gdm background setting to change so I just use xdm instead.

When, autologging into fluxbox on startup it's not a problem, but as soon as you have to log-in via gdm your screwed.

I can't remeber if I had problems with kdm or not. I don't think so, but kdm seemed to be resource a hog, which defeats the purpose of fluxbox.

I think there's been some complaints about the the fluxbox RPM as well. It sounds like you may have read them already, though.