Eterm and Fluxbox question

william

Thank you all for the quick response.

bvc:

Eterm trans works under default themes setup, but when I put it in the xinitrc or flux init with my own wallpaper it gives the following error message and wallpaper doesn't load, but applications do?!?!?:

unable to locate desktop window, if you are running enlightenment, please restart. If not, please set your background image with Esetroot, then try again.

The point is that I created a autostart.sh file with the following content:

# Be sure that you put the & at the end of each line else you will

only be able to launch the first application...

# This loads your wallpaper

Esetroot -s /usr/share/backgrounds/singularity.jpg

gaim &

# This launches gkrellm in the slit

gkrellm -w &

idesk

this script is in ~/.fluxbox init file in the following line:
session.screen0.rootCommand:   sh /home/william/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

Very strange, isn't it?

What a pity not to be able to benchmark my .xinitrc with yours.

BooYaah: I'm already running xdm. I haven't seen any complaint about these RPM's, actually I'm not considering this possibility, but I will do a google search to check it. On the other hand I'm starting to thing about waimea or if these RPMs are buggy I will try to install from source.

Thanks again for the help and if you can't help me anymore, feel confortable, you've already helped me a lot.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# !/bin/bash

# Be sure that you put the & at the end of each line else you will

only be able to launch the first application...

# This loads your wallpaper

Esetroot -s /usr/share/backgrounds/singularity.jpg

gaim &

# This launches gkrellm in the slit

gkrellm -w &

idesk

like the first line? I've just included it now, but still no success.

Yeah I'm starting these apps in the autostart.sh

bvc. Isn't it here that i set bkg in init?

session.screen0.rootCommand:    sh /home/william/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

in which line in the style file I have the option to set bkg? root command line? It's blank!

If I don't succeed to make things work here I will try souces.

bvc. Isn't it here that i set bkg in init?

session.screen0.rootCommand: sh /home/william/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

You could also try

chmod a+x /home/william/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

and edit it to say

session.screen0.rootCommand: ./home/william/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

(. instead of sh)

In your autostart.sh, try

(sleep 2; Esetroot -s /usr/share/backgrounds/singularity.jpg) &

in which line in the style file I have the option to set bkg? root command line? It's blank!
is it #commented out with #

Guest BooYah
session.screen0.rootCommand: sh /home/william/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

I don't know if what you're doing here will work or not. I set the background directly in init, and it works fine.

bvc, does his fluxbox start-up script need to be named startup not autostart? Mine is.

I already posted how I set the background in the init file, so here is my ~/.fluxbox/startup not autostart

# You can set your favourite wallpaper here if you don't want 

# to do it from your style.

#

##me: This doesn't work. Background is set in init

# bsetbg -f /usr/share/Won-Ton-Soup-3.jpg

# 

#

# This sets a black background

#bsetbg -solid black

idesk &

wmappl &

Eterm &

# aumix -I &

# And last but not least we start fluxbox.

# Because it is the last app you have to run it with ``exec'' before it.

exec fluxbox

I don't know if what you're doing here will work or not. I set the background directly in init, and it works fine.
It does, but it can be picky which is why I suggested the sleep command. For me, Eterm didn't like it when I started flux with a sound (.wav). I had to use sleep to separate them just right or one or the other wouldn't work. This was somewhat true in ,xinitrc, but more so in an autostart.sh.

bvc, does his fluxbox start-up script need to be named startup not autostart? Mine is.
No, it can be anything.sh.

My thought was always...."why a dm? If I'm using flux for the speed and for saving resources then I shouldn't run a dm. Then I can have everything in .xinitrc and everything works from mostly one startup script". :wink:

bvc. Thanks, but it didn't wor. I've set my background with bsetbg, as it was before, in the ~/.fluxbox init file, not using autostart.sh and as consequences?!?!

1 -  Background: is the latest thing to appear on desktop when the system is completely loaded;

2 -  Eterm: gave up to use it just using aterm in the xinit, but as soon as it appears on desktop I have to drag it through the screen to get trans effect;  

3 -  idesk: I left caption in icon's.lnk file blank, so I could get rid of that blue shaded tag over the icons title and spash screen despite of doing that trick in xsession according to Boyah's post;

4 -  Desktop: a very clean one

My xintrc

[william@poseidon william]$ cat .xinitrc

#exec gnome-session  

#exec startkde

#exec enlightenment &

idesk &

sleep 2;aterm -tr &

gkrellm &  

Gain &

xmms &

exec fluxbox. A very simple one.

Flux is very fast, isn't it!! My God!!! I'm using rox filer and gentoo file manager, any better fm graphical suggestion?!?!? Each one of them having its own limitations, but faster than nautilus and kde.

Thank you all guys!! I will try a google search to solve background delay and aterm trans. :wink:

Guest BooYah

Glad you got it figured out, william.

My thought was always...."why a dm? If I'm using flux for the speed and for saving resources then I shouldn't run a dm. Then I can have everything in .xinitrc and everything works from mostly one startup script".

Ahhhh. Now I get it. I think I'll do the same.

Quote:

No, it can be anything.sh.

[edited by bvc]

Some problems still remain. Eterm, aterm, and that idesk awful blue tag.

How to solve these problems?

Justo to remind you all::P

Any fast graphic fm suggestion instead nautilus and konqueror?

[edited by bvc][i also deleted the offtopic stuff]

Guest BooYah

I use Midnight Commander as my file browser. If I need to browse graphics I use gqview. Both should be on your Mandrake CD's.

Check out wmappl as an alternative to putting icons on your desktop.

[edited by bvc][i also deleted the offtopic stuff]

Endeavor2 is great but it's still gtk1.2 last I saw and is a pain to setup. For kde-libs there's krusader. You could also checkout xffm (XFce4's file mgr.)though it's far from finished....but then, so is nautilus. You'd have to install XFce4 though. It's very small and has some nice features. It's stable. Just diff and takes getting use to like rox.

bvc and Booyah, Rox filer was my choice, easier to install and has just met my needs for a fast file manager. (for domestic reasons, my wife's lazyness, I do need to have a windows partition mounted here):lol: and gentoo file manager hanged while mounting windows partion. With xfce4 due to many probs with dependencies I gave up to install.

Everything is working like a charm with eterm and my background (without that loading delay). As soon as eterm loads I get the trans effect.

Thanks again for your help and if you are curious about what we were talking about just go here but please, disregard my home page's quality, just looking for a good html editor. I didn't get icon builder to work with firebird despite of having java 2 plugin installed).

(edited to make html works)