Yoper - what does everyone think?

What do you think of yoper??  

1. 1. What do you think of yoper??

• To hell with yoper this is a mandrake forum!!
    • I love it!!!
    • It sucks

They got a lot of attention when they first started out. But when they got out of the beta/RC phase, they decided to charge a ton of money for the distro with no freely downloadable isos, which ticked a lot of people off. Haven't heard much about them since.

no offense to sarah31, but arch is a little young. i would be willing to use it at a later time, but as it is it has some growing to do. but this is not their fault, it's a fairly new distro.

gentoo is fun, but time-consuming and a little querky sometimes.

I voted "It Sucks".

I tried it in the past when it was beta (you know I try every linux once(atleast)). :wink:

If you want Tried & True Linux, go with :slackware: No, it doesn't have "emerge" or "apt-get" which I do like, but in the end, I don't need 40,000 packages at my disposal. Every package created for Linux runs on :slackware: it's called the src, use the src young Linux Knight, use the src. :cheeky:

Ok, ok so I got a little cheeky at the end! :wink:

I have to support it :-) .... its from New Zealand !

I don't because i'm from New Zealand.

:P

:mystilol:

i dont because i cant even use my mdk system anymore (busted monitor).

anyway, if it works for you then stick with it. you can try other distros and if it works better then stick to it.

lately i have been getting tired of this distro evangelism. i think i have reached the point wherein i just try others to use linux, regardless of what they want to try out.

i might be nearing the end of my intermediate newbie-hood. that cant be as i still cant do regular expressions and sed/awk. :(

ciao!

Hi

My main distro for now, is still MDK9.1, but i like trying everything i can.

So ive tryed MDK91, Slack9, LFS and Arch, and soon i will try SuSE.

i liked all of them, mdk was the first, so it has that special thing of being the oldest (also the one that ¿costed? most to download --dial-- and its pretty customzed...

I was going to try Yopper, but i had such bad comments on them (just like the one above) so i decided to skip it for now, there are plenty of options to replace it ;) just take a look at distrowatch.com

Anyway, although im happy wioth mdk after downloading all those patches and making it sort of stable, im really happy with my LFS, and i think its worth the work, mostly for speed, i have a p3 550@733 and well, heck, KDE on MDK takes about 2 minutes to load and Fluxbox about 30 seconds or maybe a bit more, while my LFS (havent tryed KDE yet, due to the big packages) with fluxbox takes about 4-5 secs to load.

Also is nice to have everything compiled and optimized at full speed for your hard.

anyway, if you want some hard work, but a real nice feeling when done, go with LFS.

otherwise, try Arch, altough its young its very promising, and without ppl helping in what is wrong or what can be better, there is no way for improvement. so, give it a try, also its optimized for i686, and speed, is always welcome.

Whoa sud_crow some of those loading times are slooow. On my mandy system I have Flux (and bloody well love it!!) And even though my hardware is very meagre (300mhz etc. See below) it still loads in less than 15 seconds

Yoper, i heard of it somewhere, forgot now!! What was so special about yoper?

James

Yes they are"!!!

im going to check real good whats going on, anyway, i like using KDE in MDK, and i just do that when i m going to use it for long times, 6-8 hours or more...

But i like playing with my LFS, and once i get everything i want it to have, i guess MDK will be my second distro, for now, i can stand the loading times... there's always something to do!

also im planning on trying SuSE as a friend downloaded the hole FTP tree :shock:

so who knows!?

hey, im thinking about a poll about, how many hours does linux let you sleep 8)

any way, yoper was something like "your own personal distro" , similar...