MDK 9.2 Beta's are showing up...

shen

buggybuggybuggybuggybuggybuggy (I need bug emoticons!)

More bugs than an ant-hill!! :lol:

It will not configure my network, nor will netconf work properly. I can, of course, edit the files but why would gui's that worked be broken now??

My soundcard would also not configure, although mandrake thought it had configured it. What kind? An exotic little known card- Soundblaster live!

I know, it's a beta, but I have not had mandrake miss this much hardware since 7.0!! :roll:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree definately agree that it's buggy..:) I think they are tweaking on the draktools and their internal stuff which may be why the isntaller which apears to be the same doesn't let me choose indivual packages..:) Oh well I sent in what bugs I found and will waite for beta 2 and try it on my test system..:)

buggy as all hell.

during install, i was able to get into individual package selection, but I couldn't select/deselect some packages, and when adding some I would get weird "this must also be installed" messages that included dependencies which should be installed by default (and I would keep getting them mentioned when choosed other packges) such as SysVinit, bash, XFree86-libs, and just a crap load of other stuff. So I just moved on with the install, and then X wouldn't start on reboot...it wouldn't even give error messages, it'd get through the usual .Xauthority files and just stop. No screen flicker, nothing. Had to ctrl-c out of it.

needless to say, I re-installed 9.1

Ugh!

I said I could fix it! I lied! I can't get it to take my files from my 9.1 installation. It won't go on my network, which means no internet. I've reinstalled it 4 times, no go. The good news is that it is the same issues each time, so it is consistently bad! :twisted:

Just my opinion

I think its fare to release a new version, when is actually the 9.1 updated.

I have dial-up and damn i did a huge effort to get the 3cds, and then the updates i thought were necesary, (or affordable due to bandwidth) and now they are releasing these same thing under the 9.2 name just becouse they fixed WAY TOO MUCH stuff.

And i agree with this becouse of the same reason im angry for, and that reason is that i would like --being a user of another distro or whatever-- to download a working version and not the download-install and dowload-again-all-the-patches that i got.

I mean, why did they released 9.1 in first place if it was in such a bad shape?

At least with 9.2 new users (or ppl how can/want to download all the 3cds again) can enjoy some sort of stability/security---

Any way, im happy with my MDK, its has been working flawlessly till now, but as i sayd i had downloaded the +200mb in updates i though necesary.

Also i think it would be fare enough for all of us (9.1) users, if at least they gave a save downloaded updates option and not an instant delete of those hundreds of precious MB.

Im actually doing the copy-before-this-thing-deletes-them thingy. and im not happy with it, i cant be waiting until it downloads all the packages and then copy them as fast as i can before it erases them. At least not with dialup....

>EOF

Check out the command

ln

it allows you to make a hard link to a file, which then can be deleted, and the hardlink will be the same file, not deleted.

I occasionally use it whenever I think the system/wizard may just delete something that I'd like to keep or have a look at.

So when the system is downloading

whateverpackage.mdk.rpm

I just do a

ln whateverpackage.mdk.rpm copy_of_whateverpackage.mdk.rpm

while the system is writing to it. This creates another filename pointer to the same inode. Which can still grow/finish download.

Then when the system does:

rm -f whateverpackage.mdk.rpm

the other filename that I gave will still exist.

Of course, for updates etc I just use

urpmi --noclean whateverpackage

which makes sure the downloaded package doesn't get deleted.

Well, thanks for the tip. I will make good use of it,

The problem i had was that i want to make some of the RPMDrake updates concerning security and bugs issues in the future ( i hope they will keep releasing packages for 9.1 fixing and updating...a question about this, would be necesary to install 9.2 when it cames out? or im going to be able to update the packages i want trough Mandrake Update???)

By the way when i have a specific package that i want i use urpmi. But for system files..nope.

For system files that are updated (bugs, security issues) I normally check with the graphical 'browser' in mcc-software/updates, then use urpmi on the command line, with --noclean.

That way, if I have to reuse anything for another pc here (nasty bugs), I have it locally.

For security updates and fixes, I usually don't do them on all machines, especially for local exploits. I'm just don't see the point.

Mind you, I do do it for stuff like .pdfs that can have code executed through xpdf or so, but not for ssh if it can be locally exploited; my machines are firewalled through another, so no need there.

I can't get into Mandrake or cooker to get the usermode update. Does someone have a mirror that is updated? nluug, the one I like, is not updtaed in cooker yet. Anyone? I'm still trying to get 9.2 on the net!

No, I mean I need to update the "usermode" rpm file in order to get my 9.2 installation working on my network, and hence, the internet. :lol:

Can anyone else get Mandrake? I haven't been able to get them all day!! :?: