usbmouse><USB2 problem -Solved

bvc

I'm trying to do the same but I can't get my mouse to work in ML9.1 on my new MoBo/chipset (see below -and I'll start a thread if need be...or pm me). It's this usb2 garbage I guess, but it makes no diff whether I disable usb2 in the bios or not :roll: RH9 doesn't have this prob :roll: There's diff between cutting edge and stupidity :P Yes I've seen the threads about usb/usb2 :twisted:

[EDIT] It's a Logitech Mouseman Optical Cordless USB

[EDIT#2]on a Abit KD7 Via KT400 MoBo w/usb2

note from tyme: this thread was split off another thread. i forgot to send it directly to software-so i had to move it after the split.

note from bvc: moved to Hardware

bvc, you should get a usb to pci adapter.  solves that problem in a snap.
do you perhaps mean USB to PS/2?

HAHAHA...yeah...one of those. sorry, I haven't had my IV drip of coffee yet! :screwy:

I have a ps/2 mouse in the ps/2 port that the kids use, and the usb is for the wife and I.
So you want to have to mice on one system?? looks like you'll need to edit XF86Config-4 a little 8)

No, in linux I only need 1 (usb) though I usually have them both in there and currently do have 2 just to have a working mouse (ps/2). I've tried every combo I can think of and even edited a few other files......I get nothing :twisted: except a ps/2.

well if you only want one, and you want the mouse that is currently USB, then why not just get the PS/2 connector/converter as suggested? you're ps/2 port isn't being used by something else...being stubborn won't fix the problem ;-) sometimes you gotta take the easy way out and let Mandrake win one :lol:

Why? Because I dualboot to an OS that has educational stuff/games for my kids who have small hands and need a smaller mouse, and I have big hands and need a big mouse......because I have no need for usb2, it's experimental and new to the kernel and shouldn't be included by default if it is so stickin buggy with mdk. Do you know that this has effected thousands upon thousands of users? Yes, I'm being stubborn...because I hate stupidilty and have very little patience for excuses when reasons are all that really matter. The easy way if for mandrake to work without usb2 as does RH9, Libranet2.8, and who knows how many others smart enough to either exclude it from the kernel or make it work when not needed or disabled in the bios.

Dude....it's a mouse. I've watched mouse probs for over 1.5years in mandrake what is the prob? It's the basics.....they should work...period.

seeing as this turned into a mouse problem thread - thought I'd throw in:

USB Mouse Howto:

1.  Enter your kernel configuration

cd /usr/src/linux<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->make menuconfig

2.  Once in the configuration screen, scroll down to Input Core Support, and  

hit enter.

3.  Hit "m" for Input Core Support.  Scroll down to Mouse Support, and hit “m”.  Exit from this menu.

4.  Scroll down to USB support and hit enter.

5.  In USB Support, hit “y” at “Support for USB”.  Scroll down to "Preliminary USB device filesystem" and hit “y”.  Include either "UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support" or "UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) Support" as modules (“m”).  Finally, include "USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support" as a module (“m”).  Include “HID input layer support” with “y”.

6.  Exit USB Support, then exit the menuconfig.  Now do "make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install".

7.  The following new modules will be created:

• Modules Name..................................Path to modules

1a. UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA,...)............ /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o

or

1b. UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support      /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/usb/uhci.o

2.  USB Human Interface Device....... /lib/modules/kernel-3.  version/kernel/drivers/usb/hid.o

3.  Input Core Support..................... /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/input/input.o

4.  Mouse Support............................ /lib/modules/kernel-version/kernel/drivers/input/mousedev.o

8.  Be sure to mount your /boot partition and copy over the new kernel image!

9.  Edit your /etc/modules.autoload file and add the following lines:

input<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->mousedev<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->hid<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->usb-uhci (or uhci)

10.  Reboot your machine to test your new drivers.

11.  If everything goes well, your modules should all load ok.

12.  To ensure your mouse works in X, be sure to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Here is an example:

Section "InputDevice"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--># Identifier and driver<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    Identifier  "Mouse1"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    Driver      "mouse"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->    Option "ZAxisMapping"       "4 5"

Note: If /dev/input/mice doesn't work, try using /dev/usbmouse.  Thanks to rac for bringing this to my attention. :)

Hope there's something there that can help!

Why? Because I dualboot to an OS that has educational stuff/games for my kids who have small hands and need a smaller mouse, and I have big hands and need a big mouse......
so then you want two mice plugged in at the same time, baiscally? instead of having to reach around back and unplug one and then plugin the other. i got confused, first you sounded like you had two plugged in, then you said just one...:?:
because I have no need for usb2, it's experimental and new to the kernel and shouldn't be included by default if it is so stickin buggy with mdk. Do you know that this has effected thousands upon thousands of users?
i'm sure it has. and i'm sure there is a way to turn it off, so maybe we can figure that out...
Yes, I'm being stubborn...
sorry, i thought the ;-) i put after the statement where i mentioned stubborness was enough to show i was joking around.

Dude....it's a mouse. I've watched mouse probs for over 1.5years in mandrake what is the prob? It's the basics.....they should work...period.
and they do work, with the PS/2 converter ;-) (note the smiley indicating a joking tone.). but seriously...let's get back to trying to fix the issue.

one thing you could do is make your own kernel and exclude usb2 (yes, I know this shouldn't be necessary because MDK shouldn't include such a buggy...so on-but let's fix the issue, not explain why it exists).

i guess the question is, what are you willing to do to fix the problem, and exactly _how_ do you want it setup? MDK only using the USB mouse, and ignoring the PS/2?

I said I need 2 but editing the X config file is a given and has nothing to do with a usbmouse not working when you consider there's no telling the number of users I've helped get theirs working, especially when this use to be a big issue in 8.1, 8.2, and somewhat in 9.0, which is why this is so frustrating. I'm sorry I assumed anyone would realize this. :wink:

I saw the :wink: with the "stubborn", but I'm just defending common sense. I'm sick of mandrakes lack of it and pushing out releases and issues to the side so fast that they do not properly test, and in the end cause everyone headaches.

You know what?....in the (probably) hundred or so post about mice that I have done, only once did I suggest the ps/2 converter and that was after 2 pages of everything else failing and as a last resort. Not that I don't appreciate the attempt to help but I could have saved a lot of money if I didn't want usb. Why would/should it be so easy to just use the converter. Everytime I boot and use it I'll think of the 30 bucks I could have saved on a ps/2.

Sure, compiling the kernel is an option, but I can't believe mdk is ignoring the bios or whatever it is doing. :roll:

Willing to do? I don't know? I don't NEED mandrake or REALLY want it. Just missed a few things that are easier and wanted to check it out with the new sys.

Setup isn't an issue :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts.....I'll report the ending.