usbmouse><USB2 problem -Solved

bvc

The errors seem to be resolved by the kernel using the standard 6 pci irqs when noapic is used. I'm in ML9.1 through wvdial, in gnome2, using mozilla now. :D

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

noapic  [SMP,APIC] Tells the kernel not to make use of any

APIC that may be present on the system.

Gnome Dictionary

APIC

Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller

Just a comment on the side:

1- I completely agree with bvc, a simple thing like a usb mouse should work

2- for those interested, check my config/specs (see sig), I now have 3 mice, 1 normal wired wheel+ball mouse on ps/2, 1 optical wireless (with extra buttons) logitech mx700 on usb, and LIRC mouse (remote control via tv-cards remote eye).

I really want to keep the ballmouse since sometimes I forget to put the wireless one on its cradle to recharge. It still lasts for days, but then, I sometimes forget for days to put it back... ;)

BTW yes I have usb2/hispeed, and I even think the mouse may be plugged into that. I also have a usb2 scanner.

On my system, usb1 and 2 both work like a charm. So I'm not sending any bugreports to Mdk, nothing to report on hardware support -- actually, I'm in linux nirvana since all works!

Well, except the lmsensors readout for the cpu-fan speed...

Just a comment on the side:

1- I completely agree with bvc, a simple thing like a usb mouse should work

I also agree. But we need to find a fix for the problem. Talking about why it _should_ work won't get it _to_ work ;-) that was what i was trying to say...

Anyways, glad you got it working bvc :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Xrunner

Great forum guys and gals!

9.1 installed nice, all but the logitech USB optical mouse.

I see a lot of great info here,and think I better learn the os a bit before I begin compiling kernel's:), am thinking of trying a ps/2 mouse?

And if someone would be so kind as to tell me how to initiate the auto detect, or configure the mouse manualy, I would be very greatful.

I want to learn more about Linux, and would prefer starting out with a GUI and a mouse,lol, thanks in advance...X

so then you want two mice plugged in at the same time, baiscally?  instead of having to reach around back and unplug one and then plugin the other.

I had to do that when I first installed Linux, Linux refused stubbornly to use the mouse Windows was using so i had two mice for a while. One for L one for W. Anyway I think it was W that cracked first.

I've only got one now, and only one OS too.!!

James

Welcome Xrunner. I don't know much about ps/2 by choice. I'd bet if you have harddrake running at boot (mcc>System>DrakXServices) it should detect that the mouse has changed and ask if you want to run the config tool (mousedrake -mcc>Hardware>Mouse) at boot. That should get you started.

BTW....almost forgot.....compiling usb2 out of the kernel AND having it disable in the bios did no good. So, is it usb2? Partly yes, because if I have usb2 enabled in the bios, I can 'usually' boot to having a usbmouse, but sometimes not. Sometimes I have to reboot a few times. I don't need or want usb2 so I just disable it, and have a mouse everytime. No need to manually set irq's though this would be a preferrable end result....but I'm lazy and tired of rebooting. :P

Guest Xrunner

Once again "Great forum" I recieved replies and even a pm within half a day:)!

hehe, to be honest I wasnt aware of a usb2 mouse, I just have a new logitech usb optical wheel mouse, and it just plugs into usb, it didnt come with a ps/2 adapter like most of em (hmm,maybe thats the differance),

I was prompted to select my mouse and I tried everyone of em on every port and still had nothing, perhaps it is a prob with usb driver?

Anyway I found an old trashy ps/2 mouse in a box of junk and it works:D, so I am happy now and am having a blast exploring this new (new to me) OS.

When I whined down I will probably be buggin yah guys with some more n00b questions,lol, thanks for your help, and I will keep quiet and follow your threads for a while:)...X

I don't know of a usb2 mouse either :P ...just that this Logitech MouseMan Wireless Optical USBmouse doesn't work because of the presence of usb2. Mine came with the ps/2 adapter...but have only used it once or twice, when troubleshooting.

....and bring on the questions :wink: