Web Browser Preferences

Andrewski

Hi, I'm currently using Galeon but am having a few problems: I tried to install Flash, but it said it was only for Mozilla, etc. Some sites are loading badly (maybe the fault of crappy web standards?), there are no plugins on their site, and I'm thinking of switching GUIs to Enlightenment (I hear that Galeon integrates well with Gnome, but I don't know what that means for other GUIs). I'm also not yet brave enough to try installing Galeon2.

What are your favourite browsers and why? I'm thinking of trying Opera, but don't like that it's proprietary, bloated, and ad-supported. However, it is pretty slick. I like slick. I don't know, maybe I'm just not a good Linux user... yet. :twisted:

What versions? Are they the default that came with (what) version of ML.

rpm -q galeon

rpm -q mozilla

Provided that you haven't forced and install while upgrading either moz or gal, gal uses/sees the same plugins as moz (should, and I haven't seen it not see what moz see's for a year or so).

What said flash was only for moz? The Flash install script? The general rule is...if it's works for moz, it will work in galeon. Open galeon and put;

about:plugins

in the addressbar and hit enter......does flash show up?

Galeon uses esd (Elightenment Sound Daemon) so you're good to go with E. Don't bother tryng galeon with kde, go with opera, though konq has come a looOOoog way and is quite nice now, IMO. The last thing I'd say about opera is 'bloated' :shock: . It's only 4MB. Galeon is 10-12 last I checked, and we won't even mention the others. Opera is without a doubt the smallest, fastest (in several ways) I've ever used. I don't mind the ads when the Ads Preferences works and I can weed out crap I don't want to see. This hasn't worked on the last couple of versions so I'm currently using moz/galeon. One to keep an eye on in the future is epiphany, which is another gecko engined/galeon/phoenix (moz-firebird). It's too unstable right now and the most stable requires gnome 2.3.3 which is a big upgrade that I'm currently doing :twisted: :P Epiphany is about 3-4MB.

Mtweidmann,

I'm not much interested in using Konqueror with Gnome, but thanks.

BVC,

rpm -qa | grep mozilla produced:

mozilla-mail-1.3.1-4.1mdk

mozilla-1.3.1-4.1mdk

For Galeon, I got:

galeon-1.3.3-2.1mdk

I did get Flash to work with Galeon. It was the Flash installer that mentioned only Mozilla, but your rule worked here. And thanks for the info on Opera; I may try that one out on Linux. With it being proprietary, is there still the flexibility (with plugins and tweaking) that one should expect from open source alternatives?

-----------------------

Kmack,

How does Mozilla Firebird compare with Opera and Galeon on size and functionality? I tried it on my PC right before I switched to Linux and thought it was alright. I don't see too much difference between that and Galeon, although maybe Mozilla's plugins would actually download when using Mozilla. (For some reason, the links would not work when downloading from mozdev.org in Galeon....)

Thanks all!

I have java and flash working properly with Opera 7.11. All of the info you need is on this board, just search and everything is there. However, now that I have flash, I find that I more often than not have it disabled :-P

--Andrew

Mozilla is 13 Mb, Opera static is 5 Mb, Opera dynamic is 3.5 Mb. Links is even smaller, but I don't know the size. Links text mode is the fastest.

A question: Why can't I post in Opera or Links, but can in Mozilla. Is it a cookie missing??

Dynamic uses the libraries already installed on your system (if you're lucky enough to have the correct versions) - Static comes with the necessary libraries as part of the package.

As far as what I use, Mozilla, MozillaFirebird, Dillo, Amaya, links, links-twibright, w3, Opera

links-twibright is kind of interesting - it is a graphical version of links, which also uses the framebuffer - so you can have a graphical browser without starting X.

Yes on dynamic and static.

In links, you can install with graphics enabled, and with ssh if desired.

The links graphics mode is fast too. Now I'll look into twillbright.

To invoke links with graphics, just call links -g

If you want only text mode, just call links.

Sorry for delayed response... on SE Asia time here! :)

-----------------------

Kmack,

How does Mozilla Firebird compare with Opera and Galeon on size and functionality? I tried it on my PC right before I switched to Linux and thought it was alright. I don't see too much difference between that and Galeon, although maybe Mozilla's plugins would actually download when using Mozilla. (For some reason, the links would not work when downloading from mozdev.org in Galeon....)

I have used Opera for years on PC before changing to Linux. I used Opera as main browser in Linux until last month when I switched to Firebird. I used registered version of Opera to avoid the adware btw.

I like Opera, but sometimes it does wierd things to webpages and the display is off. Opera says it is the html of the website that is bad... :lol: It is sort of irritating though. Firebird is similar to Galeon, but seems faster and more stable to me. I had lots of naggy problems with Galeon and gave up on it. Size wise, Opera is the smallest, Firebird and Galeon about the same, but I think Firebird is a bit smaller. Compared to IE and the others they are all small!

Firebird aka Phoenix is now my browser of choice. It is fast, consistent and does everything I want it to do. Still has a bug here and there, but hey it is still in beta!

The links graphics mode is fast too. Now I'll look into twillbright....

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe if you install with graphics, you are using twibriight (I'm not using Mandrake, so our packages install differently. Here's what the description of it says (I forgot to mention it supports javascript)

terry@timestorm: /home/terry

11:31:19 $ gaze what links-twibright

links-twibright:

Links is text WWW browser, similar to Lynx. Links displays tables, 

downloads on background and uses HTTP/1.1 keepalive connections.

This version of Links can (optionaly) compile with Graphics and Javascript

support.

Been out of town this weekend. Haven't looked into twilbright yet.

One thing I haven't got to work in Links is to select text from web site and paste into text editor via wheel button(middle button). This is nice feature available on Mozilla and Opera. Has anyone got this copy routine to work in Links? Thanks.

Guest BooYah

Real men and women use Links!

bjc,

After you login, you have to flush your cache and reload the message/forum, then you'll be able to post. I haven't figured out the copy thing either, or I would've quoted you.

I like the way graphic links looks, but other than the program itself loading faster, I don't think it's any quicker than MozFirebird.