Ubuntu 8.04 LTS is now officially out!

Installed the Xubuntu release on a VM a few hours ago.

The installation was painless, building and setting the proprietary VMWare Tools drivers was very straightforward, the desktop is looking very pretty, but still it's not a clean XFCE4 implementation. Why they use GDM and Gnome-keyring in a supposedly pure KDE-less and Gnome-less desktop?

Sudo is working only from terminal (for all other tasks you have to use gksu), and the slim login manager from the Ubuntu repos lacks a sample configuration file, as well as themes.

I guess that both Ubuntu and Kubuntu will be better laid out.

• 4 weeks later...

The thing that surprised me is it has trouble auto mounting usb drives, I've had it give up on fat32 and ext3 external usb drives.

Other than that, pretty good release, would be nice to get network manager with cdma support like Fedora 9 has.

The thing that surprised me is it has trouble auto mounting usb drives, I've had it give up on fat32 and ext3 external usb drives.

Other than that, pretty good release, would be nice to get network manager with cdma support like Fedora 9 has.

modprobe -r ehci_usb before connecting the usb drive. Then the drive will automount but the connection will be slow USB 1.

Well, I re-installed with the alternative cd so I could have encrypted lvm and now its working, could have been an update, because to me thats a pretty bad bug for an LTS release. Check the forums, many people have had problems.

One of the other annoying bugs for LTS is desktop just crashes and logs me out, seems to be compiz + nvidia. Not very nice bug whilst I'm working :)

:unsure: Ok, apparently that isn't it, right after I hit finish on this reply my screen crashed again... Maybe its firefox, that seems to be the common denominator when it crashes. Dunno at the moment but it is becoming increasingly annoying!

Firefox crashes are likely Cairo related.

I have been using here both 2.X stable releases and 3.X betas (last one being 3.0 RC1) using the system Cairo libraries, instead of the embedded ones. While FF uses much less resources when built against the system Cairo libs, it does crash from time to time for no apparent reason...

Does anybody know how the stock Firefox debs of Ubuntu are built?