How do I install amsn-0.61.tar.gz (MSN Messenger)

ral

There is no configure for this program. You will have to su to root to do make because it has to create directories. Then make install. Should work. I just tried the first part because I didn't want to actually install it.

Its installed. But when I try to run it it appears in the task bar and dies. Maybe I'll try something else.

I don't use MSN messenger myself but I was planning to replace some of the Windows PC's in a little internet cafe that I help run on the side with my GF with a few Linux boxes. Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger and MiRC are staples for the clients there.

Have one box running OpenOffice w/Win98 and Mozilla (with an IE like interface) is being tested on another box to check client reaction w/Win95 (especially since we can only install IE5.5 on Win95...MS opted not to allow IE6 to go on Win95).

I guess we are doing a little open source migration. The fact that I am a Linux Newbie does not help much. Thanks for all the help.

I'll probably try Wine for MSN and MIRC(which means I'll be asking questions in the other forum).

Guest slayman

i installed it succesfully (maybe that's the only program i have installed correctly: i'm a total noobie)

just tar it into the directory then cd into that directory

then type: ./amsn

(do not use ./configure)

That's all!!!

Hey, welcome to Linux, by the way !

Here's what's cool for your situation : you can easily install "Kopete" or "Everybuddy". Native Linux "Instant Messenger" apps.(...I forget about the others...).

I use the latest Kopete 0.5 myself. Very simple and intuitive to use; perfect for your clientele !

These applications do support most protocols : MSN Messenger, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo!, Jabber; heck they even support IRC directly (all in one tiny program, all in parallel).

Kopete will even group your contacts together, whatever the people are using on their end ! You have to see it.

HelzBelz

P.S. It sure beats running Wine for the individual Windows messengers (and much faster)... :idea:

EDIT: Get it here :

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...-1mdk9.i586.rpm